Brooks' Photos

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Excellent shots, Aaron!

I like the old red brick silos!

Cool man, I have to go out and find those barns Dave was telling me about.
You really should. As fast as land is disappearing down there...it won't be very long before there's nothing of the old times left! I'm willing to bet that a large portion of the old places I visited down there (been twenty years or longer now) are long gone

Went to Dante today and got some shots of the Sandy Ridge Tunnel from the south end. The tunnel was finished in 1916 and was the longest of the tunnels on the Clinchfield Rail Road at 7854 feet in length. These are just a half of what I posted on the Train Pics Thread.

Merv, I have learned a valuable trick with the larger lens. Stay at least 100 yards from what you are shooting if it is large. I was over 200 yards away from the B-17 when I got that shot back in October. I was shaking like a leaf on a tree when I shot the CSX train at the tunnel the other day and just by chance lucked out. I actually stood out in the back yard and practiced following birds with my hands framing them one afternoon and it helped. The neighbors probably thought I was off my rocker. Just try a few different approaches and you might be able to not only save some money but get great shots to.

There are a number of ways to steady out when shooting with a long lens. First, pic a comfortable stance, both feet should be firmly on the ground. If one, or both of your elbows are against your body, that helps to steady your hands. I often find a solid object to rest against, take in a breath, let if halfway out, then hold and push the shutter. This is for long exposures like 1/10, 1/20. I used this technique down to 1/2 second and got some great results at 200mm!

Thank you Wheels. Haven't seen you around recently. Hope all is well.
Everythings fine Aaron, thanks for asking.

My virus software didn't like this site very much after the last episode.
Took a while for the techies (me - ) to figure out why ?
Somehow, it had to be me messing up, the virus software had added this to a blocked site list.
All sorted and good to go now.

Wheels

Thank you Eric. When I shot the train coming out of the tunnel I was leaning against a telephone pole and doing the breathing thing to but the shots of it coming out of the tunnel are still a little fuzzed. I was shaking with excitement which didn't help things. Horsepower does that to me.

Users who are viewing this thread