Budget Bf109G Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Darn, is it?! Oh well!
Wayne, it was (supposedly) Danish, German, French, English and Russian. I forgot to add the Nederlands, Spanish, Italian and Geordie!!

PART FIVE and a half!

As I've been waiting for the Eagle Cals decal sheet, I decided to make a start on the display base. I had a 'plain' base already prepared, which just happens to be the correct size, and all it needs is the 'grass' recovering in parts, in the correct scale, with some undulations and scrub and a tree or two adding, with the 'cobbled' hard standing being made from the embossed plastic sheet already mentioned. The major parts are shown in :-
PICTURE 1.
The embossed sheet had been used for part of a previous diorama, long since deceased, and will be re-sprayed in the appropriate colours, using the existing finish as a base coat, to provide depth, and then have some 'weathering' added.
PICTURE 2 is a close-up of one of the sheets, showing the shape of what was intended as OO/HO stone wall facing or roof tiles, which will prove ideal for the 1/32nd scale block-paving.
Meanwhile, the 'Postie' arrived today whilst I was out, which entailed a trip to the sorting office in order to pic up the decal sheets, shown in:-
PICTURE 3.
After studying the accompanying profile/instruction sheet, I noticed that the camouflage pattern on the upper wings and tailplanes is different to that which I have already applied to the model! But, I'm not going to mess about changing it now, I'll just have to live with it! This drawing also hints at white undersurface wing tips, not shown on the side view profile.
I also noticed that the upper side profile shows the Reichs Defence band in white; quite a coincidence, as I have just been looking at a German web-site on JG300, which discusses the colours of the band, as displayed on a photo taken at Juterbog at the end of the war. This was arguing whether the band was red, or white.
Too late now, I'm going with the info provided by Wayne, which I understand came from the Lorant/Goyat book 'JG300, Vol1', the same source used by Eagle Editions Ltd.!
PICTURE 4 shows the Eagle Cals illustration, whilst the actual scheme on the model is shown in :-
PICTURE 5.
So, for a couple of hours at least tonight, I will be busy applying some more decals!
Hopefully, I should have some more progress shots either tomorrow (Friday), or over the weekend, as long as I can leave some time to attend the Rememberance Service at the local Cenotaph on Sunday. Just hope my legs work enough to support me during the service!!
Terry.

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 164.jpg
    21 Gustav 164.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 21 Gustav 163.jpg
    21 Gustav 163.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 21 Gustav 159.jpg
    21 Gustav 159.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 21 Gustav 165.jpg
    21 Gustav 165.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 21 Gustav 114.jpg
    21 Gustav 114.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 60
Thanks very much Wojtek. I'm just about to start placing those all-important 'Yellow 13' decals, then I can place the others which fit near them.
It may be that the model itself could be finished this weekend, then, it's just the base to finish and, bingo! One 'cheapo' Gustav that should look quite nice!

I can't wait to see the final effect.That's a pity I have to go bed now.Tommorow I have to be at work.I hope we will chat later.

Sleep Well Terry.:wave:

Ha ha ha..... it is impossible to leave the forum.:lol: :lol: :lol: You have my answer about the W-3 in my thread about Mirosławiec airbase.

Bye bye..

PART SIX
The Eagle Cal decalling has started and, I thought I'd try applying the 'burbleschnauz' spirral to the spinner, rather than painting freehand. To my surprise, the decal went on without any problems but, just as I was doing a final adjustment, it curled back on itself! Oh well, just means getting out the 00000 brush for touching up. See:-
PICTURE 1.
PICTURE 2 shows the wing stencils, which are crisply printed and thin, and laid down well. In all there are few decals used from the Eagle sheet, as the kit decals provided the bulk of the markings. It was interesting to find that both sheets use the same decal numbers, instructions and style, so obviously printed and designed at the same source. Just shows, the Eagle sheet cost £7.15, whilst the kit, including a 3 - option decal sheet, was only £9.69!
PICTURE 3 Shows that all-important 'Yellow 13', still settling with the aid of Microsol. Just for Lucky!!
Picture 4 Although some can't be seen in this shot, so far, there are 52 decals placed, with only 37 to go!
The white lines beneath the windscreen are from the thin 'filler' of varnish and talcum powder, which is just 'cleaning up' the joint between the windscreen and fuselage, but leaving the panel-line visible. This will be retouched to match the surrounding paintwork.
With all of the decals in place, and the model cleaned to remove any decal or 'Microsol' film, spraying of the final semi-matt coat has begun. The distinctive Luftwaffe 'sheen' has been achieved by adding Tamiya Flat Base to Klear (Future), until the desired sheen is obtained. Takes a bit of experimentation, but sprays beautifully. This is shown in :-
PICTURE 5.
The contrast between the gloss and the semi-matt finish is clearly visible on the port wing and fuselage, which is displayed in :-
PICTURE 6.
PICTURE 7 shows the semi-matt drying, but still wet, emphasising the small stencils around the nose latches etc.
The second coat of semi-matt, still wet, is shown clearly in the next shot,
PICTURE 8.
The next post will show the extra parts, such as wheels and drop tank, before going on to final assembly.
The break in the forum's operation has at least allowed me a little more time to work on the Gustav, and it should be finished and on it's diorama display base very soon!

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 180.jpg
    21 Gustav 180.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 21 Gustav 166.jpg
    21 Gustav 166.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 21 Gustav 168.jpg
    21 Gustav 168.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 21 Gustav 173.jpg
    21 Gustav 173.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 21 Gustav 178.jpg
    21 Gustav 178.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 21 Gustav 186.jpg
    21 Gustav 186.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 21 Gustav 182.jpg
    21 Gustav 182.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 21 Gustav 187.jpg
    21 Gustav 187.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 43
Thanks Wojtek! I guess he'll like that number!
I should have another set of shots posted tonight, hopefully.

PART SEVEN
So, the next part is showing the beginings of the final assembly, following the application of decals to the 'add on' bits, such as the fuel drop-tank and wheels.
PICTURE 1 shows a 3/4 front general view.
PICTURE 2 is a shot for comparison with the colour profile, which is at :-
PICTURE 3.
PICTURES 4 to 6 are more general views from different angles.
PICTURE 7 shows the stencil decals applied to the drop-tank and wheels. The text on both is readable with the naked eye, and only the wheel decals were taken from the Eagle Cals sheet.
The model is really starting to come alive now, and, once again, I have to remind myself that this is a 'cheap toy' kit!
I'll follow this very shortly with progress of the model to date, which is halted until the diorama base is completed, as some parts will be fitted only when the completed model is ready to be placed on its 'dispersal'.

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 195.jpg
    21 Gustav 195.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 21 Gustav 207.jpg
    21 Gustav 207.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Bf109G-6_Yellow_13_Uffz_Klaus_Lambio_JG_300 No2.bmp
    631.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 21 Gustav 205.jpg
    21 Gustav 205.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 21 Gustav 201.jpg
    21 Gustav 201.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 44
  • 21 Gustav 208.jpg
    21 Gustav 208.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 21 Gustav 220.jpg
    21 Gustav 220.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 48
PART EIGHT
As I decided to 'nip out' at about 02.00 hrs to a all-night shop to get some milk, and ended up stranded for over an hour, due to my Jeep's engine cutting out for no apparent reason, meaning a call to the Rescue breakdown service, I might as well post the next group of pics! (BTW, I got back OK, turned out to be a duff connection on the coil, but I'd drained the battery by the time the RAC arrived! And now it's too late to go to bed, so I'm staying up!)
So, the final assembly is underway, with test-fitting of the drop tank and wheels. Note, especially for Lucky, that the 'tyres' have flats on them, although the wheels have to be finally positioned and set at the right angle and camber, once the model is on the display base, and the 'tyres' dirtied with the same colours as the 'cobbles' of the dispersal. Also, the drop-tank retaining band has yet to be toned-down. The use of a digital camera for these shots also helps to quickly identify any imperfections or missed areas, which can then be rectified. The hole just aft of the wing trailing edge is for the scratch-built Fug25A antenna, and the holes in the wings are for the cannon gondolas, which will be fitted temporarily, then plugged and painted. See PICTURE 1.
PICTURE 2 shows the Gustav up on its wheels, which are yet to be correctly set, and with the drop-tank, antenna mast and DF loop in place.
The 'scale eye-level' view shows the clean lines of the Gustav, with the tiny stencils visible around the nose area, which can just be seen in:-
PICTURE 3.
PICTURE 4 shows a general view of the upper surfaces, with the DF loop ready for 'bedding down' and painting, and the antenna mast awaiting a decal along its length(!) plus the aerial cables.
PICTURE 5. Starboard view, with the wing-tip nav lights in place, awaiting their edge seals. The clearly visible circular decals on the fuselage side mark the positions of the filling points for the oxygen system (forward) and the gun pressurisation system. (the cowl-top MG 131's were pneumatically cocked).
PICTURE 6. The aggressive snout of the Gustav shows up well here, and the paint scuffing and chipping has been kept fairly low-key; in general, Luftwaffe fighters were maintained in good condition, with the airframe kept clean and smooth, so I didn't want to over-do the weathering.
With the model itself almost complete, the fiinishing touches will be carried out when it's ready to be placed on it's 'dispersal in the woods'. The initial work on the construction of this is shown in the last five pictures, with the 'cobble paved' hard standing in place, and the first carboard contours glued down, and the covering with filler underway. Eventually, some trees and scrub will be added on one side, in order to create the illusion of the wooded area of the dispersal point, but without distracting from the Gustav itself.
So far, things are working more or less to plan, although I never thought I'd go this far with this truly fantastic kit. When I first heard about the 21st Century Toys range of kits, I thought that MAYBE a semi-reasonable replica could be built - I never thought the kits would be as good as they are, especially for such a low price!
Hopefully, you've enjoyed what you've seen so far, although there are parts that I could have done better, with a little more effort. Once the diorama base is well underway, which, hopefully, should be within the next few days, I'll post the penulitimate shots, before the whole thing is photographed in its complete finale. Thanks for the comments and encouragement to date, they've been very inspirational and supportive!
Terry.

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 247.jpg
    21 Gustav 247.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 21 Gustav 241.jpg
    21 Gustav 241.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 21 Gustav 233.jpg
    21 Gustav 233.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 21 Gustav 230.jpg