Budget Bf109G Build.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice straps Terry! Pity they're fitted, I'd like a pic of them beside a coin to see how small they are. They look great, the material you used is perfect for the job! :)

Thanks for all the compliments chaps!
Here you go, M.
I haven't removed the belts for final touch up yet, as my hands are a bit stiff, but here's a pic with a fifty pence coin and, for those not familiar with U.K. currency, a standard Humbrol paint tinlet. (same size as Revell and other makes) Sorry, but the camera focussed on the tin, so the pic is slightly 'soft'.
I'm having a break for a day, as my hands are stiff, so I'm getting back to writing the Diorama Guide. Might post the latter in sections, as it's going to be a lot bigger than I intially thought!

Attachments

• 21 Gustav.jpg
    21 Gustav.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 97
A quick update, but no pics at the moment, as there's not much to see; the bulk of the very small stencil decals are in place, but I've halted until the Eagle Cals sheet arrives. I need to check the details there, and compare the stencil decals with those in the kit, which are really excellent. It's just struck me; the Eagle Cals decal sheet is costing almost as much as the Gustav kit itself!
I have to keep telling myself that this is a 'kit' designed as a toy, or a desktop ornament. This shows in the strength of the plastic, and the construction method. Hopefully, in the next post, which should be tomorrow (Monday), I'll be able to show you how finely detailed this kit really is. For example, the wheels, and the main gear doors, appear to be bang on scale, the doors being scale thickness, and internally detailed beyond what would be expected from the 'big boys' in the mainstream manufacturing sector.
Anyway, so far I've got the canopy done, with the 'Panzerglass' head armour in place, together with scratch support stays and a locking latch. The gunsight has been installed, with a new reflector screen made from clear sheet, and the windscreen fitted and sealed, with the addition of the hand-holds and cockpit light fittings and wiring. The work on the aileron mass balances is underway, but I dare not move them for photography purposes until they harden and set, as they are very delicate!
After close examination of the photos and profile provided by Wayne, I've done some minor adjustments to the paintwork on the Gustav's fuselage, in order to replicate some of the subtle curves, blends and mottle.
I've also come up trumps, by noticing that the hardstanding at the airfield at Juterbog Waldlager, where the subject aircraft was based, is a type of 'block paving' rather like flat cobblestones, which I've seen first hand on former Luftwaffe bases, such as Rheinsahlen, another 'hidden in the forest' airfield. It so happens that I have some embossed plastic sheet, intended for modelling stone walls or bridges in OO/HO model railways, which will be perfect as a base for the finished model!
So, once the decals arrive, I can get those few that are needed placed, then spray the finishing coat, before adding all the 'fiddly bits'. Then, it's on to the 'plain base', representing the block paving, with a bit of forest scrub at the edge, and a couple of small accessories, maybe scratch-built steel-frame chocks and a fire extinguisher or something similar, ready for photography.
Although the name of the location is familiar, I still can't figure out where it is; in a previous post, I mentioned Flensburg, when I really meant Schleswig-Holstein! As one of the pilots is wearing a lifejacket, and it's June 1944, I guess the unit must be operating within range of the sea, so it's got to be up the north end of the Reichs Defence/Wilde Sau zone. If anyone can throw any light on this, I would very much appreciate it.
Will post some progress pics tomorrow.
Terry.

Yep, look forward to it too Terry.

Terry a quick check reveals III/JG300 were at Juterbog south of Berlin from June 1st '44.

another note..." inflatable yellow life jacket, deemed indispensable because of the numerous stretches of water, reservoirs, ponds and lakes scattered around the Berlin region and throughout northern Germany."

..and "Uffz. Klaus Lambio flew day fighter sorties from June 1944 was fortunate enough to survive thewar without ever being wounded. In the 11 months to the end of the war he claimed the destruction of or damage to seven enemy aircraft."

Thanks Wayne, and thanks for the comments guys. Erich told me where Juterbog was (is), and I've found it on the map. Good to get an explanation for the reason for the life jackets, might include one, and the parachute pack, on the display base.
Wayne, is there any mention of the R6 cannon gondolas being used in your refs? One of the profiles on one of the Eagle Cals sheets appears to show this fitting on one of the nightfighter 109's, but I don't know about the day fighters with JG300.

PART SIX
So far, I've got most of the smaller decals in place, although some can't be placed until the 'Yellow 13' numbers are in place, which will be done when the Eagle Cals decal sheet arrives. The kit decal sheet really is excellent, with every small stencil included, even down the the tiny 'ZU' markings for the cowling latches, and the drop-tank decals, which include the notice to German civilians to alert the Police or local airfield, if the tank should be found after disposal.
PICTURE 1 shows a general top view, with the wing-walk lines and warning stencils clearly visible.
Whilst waiting for the decal sheet to arrive, I got on with those small jobs that could be completed, including fitting the windscreen, after adding the grab-handles in the top of the frame, and the cockpit lamps and wiring, beneath the sidescreens, both from stretched sprue. The kit's Revi gunsight has been fitted, with the moulded-on reflector screen removed, and replaced by a piece of clear sheet.
PICTURE 2 shows the windscreen in place, and the details mentioned above can just be discerned.
PICTURE 3 shows the prop and spinner test fitted, along with the wheels, to check the 'sit' of the model. The white spinner is awaiting retouching, before adding the narrow black 'Burbleschnauz' spiral, a job I will approach with some trepidation!
The detail on the undercarriage doors and wheels is exceptional, with the main gear doors being to scale thickness, as shown in:-
PICTURE 4.
The ejector pin marks are on the inside of the doors, thankfully, and I made no attempt to remove these, as they will be hidden by the wheels. The latter have been painted, although the tyres are yet to have 'flats' added, and will need the treads treated to a dry-brush in the colours to match the 'dust' of the 'block-paving' dispersal the model will be displayed upon.
Some of the scratch-building of detail parts has commenced, with the beginings of the aileron mass balances, and the pitot tube (kit part lost!) being shown in :-
PICTURE 5. The 'horns' of the mass balances have been roughly moulded from 'Milliput', and mounted onto short lengths of stretched sprue. When totally hardened, they will be contoured and tidied up, ready for a coat of varnish and talcum powder, to seal the shape before painting and fitting. Lacking suitable tube, I made the pitot head from stretched sprue, with masking tape wrapped around the 'wing end'. This will be varnished, to blend-in the shapes, then painted in the appropriate colours.
PICTURE 6 shows the 'Gustav' to date, waiting for the Eagle Cals numbers, and some of the type-specific stencils to be added. Once that's done, the model will be sprayed in a semi-matt clear coat, and all the smaller items, such as antennas, canopy etc, will be added, before being placed on a 1/32nd scale version of the 9/JG300 wooded dispersal at Juterbog Waldlager, south west of Berlin, as it would have appeared in June, 1944.
As soon as the decals arrive, I will proceed with the build, and post some more pics.
Thanks for your encouraging and complimentary comments to date, they are very much appreciated, and I hope you have enjoyed watching the build as much as I have enjoyed doing it!
Terry.

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 151.jpg
    21 Gustav 151.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 21 Gustav 136.jpg
    21 Gustav 136.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 21 Gustav 152.jpg
    21 Gustav 152.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 21 Gustav 149.jpg
    21 Gustav 149.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 21 Gustav 135.jpg
    21 Gustav 135.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 21 Gustav 158.jpg
    21 Gustav 158.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 72
Thanks Wayne, and thanks for the comments guys. Erich told me where Juterbog was (is), and I've found it on the map. Good to get an explanation for the reason for the life jackets, might include one, and the parachute pack, on the display base.
Wayne, is there any mention of the R6 cannon gondolas being used in your refs? One of the profiles on one of the Eagle Cals sheets appears to show this fitting on one of the nightfighter 109's, but I don't know about the day fighters with JG300.

Sadly no tall tail 109 can be seen with the R6 cannons...each of the profiles and pics of cannon armed G-6's are late 43 early 44 machines with standard tail....:( however if the mission called for it they could be fitted....

Thanks again for all the compliments, guys!
Wayne, thanks for the info re the R6 cannons; looks like I'll just have do to another 21st Century G14, in JG4 markings, and another one, Hasegawa G6, in order to show the cannons, and maybe another........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back