Budget Bf109G Build. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys!
Daniel, yes, in this case the Klear (Future) was airbrushed. To clean up, I run a touch more Klear through the 'brush, followed immediately by lots of water. Then, I leave the 'brush tip assembly in a glass of water, overnight depending on circumstances. Before use, I run more water, then Klear, until it sprays evenly. I have used acrylic thinners, followed by water, which works fine, as does enamel thinners, followed by lots of water, then air, to dry out.
Terry.

Well, as my sleep pattern is totally up the pictures, I decided to get out of my pit and do a bit more on the Gustav. Here's some 'in progress' shots of the start of the decalling. I'm using the kit decals for the national markings and stencils etc, whilst waiting for delivery of the Eagle Cals sheet for the 'Yellow 13'.
PICTURES 1 to 3 are general shots, showing the national markings settling down well with the aid of 'Micro Sol'. The kit decals are excellent, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they are produced by 'Microscsale'.
As the kit decals do not include the swastikas, these were sourced from Microscale sheet 72-160 which, although to 1/72nd scale, provides a large selection of different sizes and styles. Note the 'show through' of the mottling on the red Reichs Defence band,; as already mentioned, this is deliberate, and will tone down slightly once the finishing coat is applied.
PICTURE 4 is the kit diagram for the placement of the stencils, at least 70 of which are included on the separate sheet! As I mentioned in an earlier post, the decal sheets alone could cost the price of the kit, if bought as after market accessories.
PICTURE 5 is a shot of the cockpit area; the masking tape was removed to trial fit the canopy, which will be fitted once the seat harness and gunsight are installed, then masked to prevent overspray when the finishing coat of semi-matt 'Klear' (Future) is applied. To obtain the desired 'sheen', Tamiya flat base will be added to the 'Klear', then sprayed in the normal way. It takes a little experimentation to get the right degree of sheen/flat, but it's no major job.
More progress pics and report soon.
Terry.

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 107.jpg
    21 Gustav 107.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 87
  • 21 Gustav 113.jpg
    21 Gustav 113.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 21 Gustav 114.jpg
    21 Gustav 114.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Gustav decal.jpg
    Gustav decal.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 21 Gustav 110.jpg
    21 Gustav 110.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for trying, Muller, but it's O.K., I've just ordered the Eagle Cals sheet, as I can always use the other decals on it.
And here's PART FIVE
I've taken a break from placing all the tiny stencil decals, mainly as I want to see the Eagle Cals sheet mentioned, in case there are differences.
So, I've started on some of the detail work, including the scratch-built items.
I need to make the aileron mass balances, as these are not included in the kit, and these will be made from bent, stretched sprue, with Milliput moulded onto them to form the balance horns. At least that the theory!
Somehow, I seem to have lost the kit's pitot tube, which wasn't brilliant anyway, so that needs scratch-building also.
Meanwhile, the exhausts have been assembled and painted in burnt colours; I'm afraid they didn't show up well in photographs as single items, so there isn't a pic of them! The wheels have been assembled, and painted and dry brushed, and will be fitted once the model has been sprayed in the finishing coat, and the gunsight has been painted ready for installation, as have the canopy frames.
The shoulder straps for the seat harness have been fabricated from strips cut from material left over from a window blind, with adjusters made from plastic strip and stretched sprue, and the anchor rings and buckles also from stretched sprue.
PICTURE 1 shows the 'raw' belts. The colour of the material is very close to the intended shade, but they will be painted in order to fill some of the weave of the fabric.
PICTURE 2 shows the belts and fittings after painting, and the beginings of the markings to represent the reinforcing stitching.
PICTURE 3 shows the shoulder straps just tacked lightly in place, in order to check fit. Once satisfied, they will be positioned and fixed with Superglue, then the anchor plates, from plastic strip, fitted, and the whole lot, including the surrounding area, will be re-touched, with a little paint chipping / scratching.
Now it's down to all the little jobs, including some very light weathering, whilst waiting for the decals to arrive.

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 116.jpg
    21 Gustav 116.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 74
  • 21 Gustav 122.jpg
    21 Gustav 122.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 21 Gustav 134.jpg
    21 Gustav 134.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 75

Users who are viewing this thread

Back