Calling all Old Scouts Giudes Cubs and Brownies

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Emac44

Staff Sergeant
Oct 17, 2006
Brisbane Queensland
In another Thread Renrich Njaco and I got a bit sidetracked with from a discussion about the Zulu Wars. Battle of Isandlwana and Rourke's Drift. To the Scouting Movement Lord Baden Powell and Rudyard Kipling. I have still after many years my Old Air Scout Badges Woggle Belt and Air Scout Beret. I even have my old Socks Tabs. None of this I can bare to throw away. So now I am going to share them with you. And if there is any Old Scouts Guides Cubs or Brownies. And like me you still have your old gear or stories to relate when you was a Scout Guide Brownie or Cub. Feel free to share them. And if I can spell GUIDES Better in the future I will be doing well. Sorry Folks.

Ok in the Photos of the Badges. You will see (L to R) Bangkok Penang Butterworth Friendship 1972 Given to me by an American Scout who lived in Thailand. 2nd Frienship Badge Penang Visit to Bangkok by me.

You will see 2 link Badges Green Penang District Badge Air Scout Badge and 1st Butterworth Troop Shoulder Tab Badge. (Our Brother Australian Scouts on Penang were called the 23rd George Town North Troop )

Ok Now the Bottom Photos. You will see 1 Air Scout Beret ( No it doesn't fit any more)
One District Penang Scarf with Bufflo Head Woggle.
The Gold Coloured Scarf with Blue hem is from Thailand with a Silk Pagoda Emblem
And last but not least My Scout belt and like the beret it doesn't fit either.. On the Belt is a Silver buckle tab I was given that for some reason I can't remember now. Must have passed some test or something

Attachments

• Scout Badges.jpg
    Scout Badges.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 653
  • 100_0979.jpg
    100_0979.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 405
  • 100_0980.jpg
    100_0980.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 385
You better believe it Les. My Dad was a Scout so was my Brother and so was I. At one time I was a Scout Master but work commitments got in the way and had to stop. Shakes Les's Left hand in the sign of Scouting Friendship and Brotherhood. From one old Scout to another Welcome Brother.

Dad in the Franston Victoria Jamborree in 1932 met Lord Baden Powell. And about 15 years ago there was a International Scout Jamborree here in my Local area. In the vicinity of where my house sits right now. But you are right Les those Scouting Memories. Getting Knotted had a totally different meanings then to what it has now. Compass reading Map reading Orienteering Bush Craft. Been years since I did all that but can still remember it. Lashing Ropes and Whipping. All the different types of Knots from Half Hitches 'S' Shanks and a Lock Shank Reef Knots Bowlines and a myrid of other Knots and Hitches

My Dad was the Committee Chairman of our Troop, and both my brothers were also scouts, although neither made it past the rank of Star...

I was also a member of The Order of The Arrow, walked the Talmadge Trail, went to Philmont in Arizona, did the Mile Swim, earned the Wilderness Survival, Oceanography, and Archery Merit Badges (among others),and earned the highest honor in Archery, Bowman Third Class....

Order of the Arrow - OA Basics

Boy Scout Ranks...

Scout
Tenderfoot Scout
Second Class
First Class
Star
Life
Eagle

Attachments

• aniadvan.gif
    aniadvan.gif
    92.5 KB · Views: 354
Was a Tender Foot. Crossed the Bridge Became a Scout. Became a Patrol Seconder. Was about to become Patrol Leader and then we got posted back to Australia and there was no Scout Troop where we were Posted back to. So was forced to leave Scouts.
Rejoined the Scouting Movement as a Scout Master and spent during the early 1990s as a Scout Master. But I had to leave again due to Work Commitments. And the funny thing is Les I taught a Young Senior Scout ( What we use to call a Queen Scout) about KYM and the Significance of The Jungle Book of Rudyard Kipling. The Scouting Movement had changed that much that the books of Rudyard Kipling had been removed. And for the life of me I have no idea why.

World Scouting/International Scouting Organizations

But I do remember this Les. My Troops the 1st Butterworth had to take part in this Gang Show on Penang Island in this Auditorium. Out Troop had decided to do an Aboriginal Corroberee from the Dream Time of Aboriginal Folklore. And as it turned out to be a bit of a disaster

The Corroberee involved an Aboriginal Hunter and his prey a Kangaroo. And seeing we were a bit short in supply of the animal in question as we were in Malaysia. Like good Scouts we improvised. After much dilibration and much of me saying you must be bloody joking I got to play this important role as the Kangaroo. Some ones Mum had stitched together several hension bags to make the costume and I was kitted out as such. So after much practise. (By memory I think it was a few hours before the Gang Show) We were already for the big time. First of the Cab Rank was the Aboriginal Hunters Played by an old mate called Treavor Elliott. He was part Indian ( As his Mum was from India) and his younger brother Andrew. Again I must remind you this was improvision at its best. We were a bit short of Aborigines too. And Treavor and Andrew was the closest we had to Aborigines (Albiet Part Indian Part English). The Auditorium was packed with Malaysian Scouts. We had a Narrator who doubled as not only as the story teller but he had the responsibility of working the Recordings on the Tape Machine. So to cut a long story short. Treavor and Andrew were as Aboriginal Hunters doing their part in the Corroberee and things were going along really good. Until it was my turn to enter the stage dressed in costume as a bloody Kangaroo and to imitate the actions of a Kangaroo and the Hunt. But it appeared the Malaysian BoyScouts in the audience had never seen a Kangaroo before and began barking like bloody dogs in bloody unison. Which completely drowned out the Narrator and his audio tape. So instead of being booed of Stage I was Barked Off and so was the rest of the cast. Our Scout Master thought the preformance was great until I suggested to him what he could do with the costume and he could take over the role next time. He changed the subject quiet quickly

Is this an exclusive club Emac? :)

I was in Sea Scouts for quite a few years. {Scouts organization with maritime emphasis}

Sea Scouting: Sea Scouting in Canada

Training to be a future captain of one of Canada's Aircraft Carriers... :D :rolleyes:

Course not Freebird. No exclusions:p here mate. All Scouts are Brothers you know that :p
You was a Sea Scout. I was an Air Scout I too was practising in becoming an Air Commodore in my Future. Yeah right Freebird hahaha

I was also a member of The Order of The Arrow, walked the Talmadge Trail, went to Philmont in Arizona, did the Mile Swim, earned the Wilderness Survival, Oceanography, and Archery Merit Badges (among others),and earned the highest honor in Archery, Bowman Third Class....

Order of the Arrow - OA Basics

Boy Scout Ranks...

Scout
Tenderfoot Scout
Second Class
First Class
Star
Life
Eagle

Wow! You were OA, les? I never had the honor . . . . . .

My short history:

Cub Scout 1970-72
Boy Scout 1975-1981 (at which point I turned 18 )
Acheived rank of Life (no, not even close to Eagle; discovered girls soon after achieving Life)

Dropped out of Scouting for 25 years until my first son joined BSA; now I'm a Den Leader, Assistant Scout Master, Day Camp Program Director, and Day Camp Rangemaster. Wish I still had my old uniform . . . . .

Emac44: My Troop is in contact with a troop from the east coast of Australia (I think it's up by Brisbane; I'll find out); we are planning on doing some sort of a "student exchange" with them, either next year ('09) or the year after. I plan on going, since my son will be 14 or 15 by then. I'll let you know how it goes . . . .

Wow! You were OA, les? I never had the honor . . . . . .

My short history:

Cub Scout 1970-72
Boy Scout 1975-1981 (at which point I turned 18 )
Acheived rank of Life (no, not even close to Eagle; discovered girls soon after achieving Life)

Dropped out of Scouting for 25 years until my first son joined BSA; now I'm a Den Leader, Assistant Scout Master, Day Camp Program Director, and Day Camp Rangemaster. Wish I still had my old uniform . . . . .

Emac44: My Troop is in contact with a troop from the east coast of Australia (I think it's up by Brisbane; I'll find out); we are planning on doing some sort of a "student exchange" with them, either next year ('09) or the year after. I plan on going, since my son will be 14 or 15 by then. I'll let you know how it goes . . . .

That would be great Stitch for your boy to travel to Aussie with other Scouts. But unfortunately Stitch I no longer have any contact with scouting groups in my area, But that shouldn't pose a problem Stitch as you and I could meet up with our respective family members if you are coming to Brisbane. Would be a pleasure to meet you Stitch.

That discovering girls was a problem many scouts encounted Stitch. Some how the bodily compasses always seem to point in the direction of girls mate

Dan...:)

I was in the cubs for about a year once in one of the towns we lived in, later joining the Air Training Corps in another. (Our squadron was No.49 (kapiti) ATC Sqn.). Joined the RNZAF at 17.

Never progressed to any great rank in any of them, but leant many valuable lessons and disciplines which have become a big part of my character.

I'm very grateful for the experiences.

I was a Boy Scout, also. Belonged to Troop 33 in Baltimore, Md. I think
this was about 1946. My father-in-law to be was my Scoutmaster, and
later went on the council. I knew his daughter, Edna Mae, from our paper
drives. I made it to Star, then, for some reason dropped out. Had a lot of
good times along the Gunpowder River, and at Haver De Grace, Md. Don't
have any of my old stuff..... that was much too long ago.

Charles

my own dad made it to star and his old uniform is somewhere which I need to find before he completely looses his "upstairs". For fact he would of been an Eagle had he not made the move from Maine to Ohio

my son is an Eagle Scout and proud of it, I myself am a former Scoutmaster for some 10 years, and I thouroughly luv'd putting those 16-17 year olds through the survival mode paces during winter...........dang those boys became men before my eyes and are doing well in life, 3 of them have served dual tours in Iraq, two of them home thank God, one still over there......

I was a boy scout. Made it to the rank of Life Scout. I only needed to do my Eagle Project to get my Eagle Scout but I made some bad decisions in High School and decided not to finish it. Now that I look back on it I really wish I had.

I was also a member of the Order of the Arrow (technically I still am because once you are in the Brotherhood you are allways in the Brotherhood).

I really want to get active in the Boy Scouts again as a Scout Master and I am going to encourage my children to be in the Boy Scouts and earn the Eagle Scout.

Many great memories in Boy Scouts though. My favorite was the Inter Camp we would attend every year somewhere in Europe. It was basically a big International Jamboree with Scouts from all over the world.

I have a rather large box just filled with badges that I traded for from Scouts all over the World.

Good times...

How does a Cub Scout become a Boy Scout???

He eats a Brownie....

Damn you beat me to it! That was my favorite saying to the younger boy scouts when I was an older teen ager.

Its a bit ironic that many former Scouts in many areas around the world joined the Military for their respective country's. Yes Erich the Scouts gave the grounding for discipline. Self Disicpline that is. The idealism Lord Baden Powell passed onto the Scouting Movement way back at Battersea and linked back to the seige of Mafeking during the Boer War. The idea that all Scouts regardless of Race or Creed or Nation or places of Circumstances are Brothers and it doesn't matter that a Scout in Zimbabwae is a Brother to a Scout in Washington. I was brought up to believe in the Scouting Movement when I said the Scout Promise that I was a Brother Scout to you Erich or even to Charles who was a Scout many years before my time as a Scout. We share that bond of Scouting Brotherhood regardless of time place or age. I shared that Brotherhood as being a Scout even with my own Father who was a Scout during the 1930s and I was a Scout during the 1970s. And somewhere I have a photo of my Father travelling in Scout Uniform to Frankston Victoria Jamborree with his mates from his own Troop. And when I find the photo I will put it on this thread as well.

(A4k I went from the Scouts and joined the Army Cadet Corp at Secondary High School and went onto join the Army Reserves).

It never ceases to amaze me that many good men when they were boys had joined the Scouting Movement and had in their adulthood given time energy and service back to their respective Nations Their respective Families and their respective Communities. And they gave of themselves willingly. Never asking for anything in return. The creed of the Scouting Movement given to us by Lord Baden Powell was BE PREPARED and that creed has many meaning to a myrid of many different persons from around the world. Scout are You Prepared to meet life's challenges? Are You Prepared to give of yourself? Are You Prepared to help your Community Nation Family? Are You Prepared to be Self Reliant and Self Disciplined? Are You Prepared to recognise Your Brother Scouts in Brotherhood and Friendship regardless of where they come from their background or which country they come from? And as young men or as boys we learnt this. And I like to look upon this the idea of Scouting as crossing the human divide of intolerance and bigotry. And this came when we crossed the bridge of Tenderfoot to being a Scout and we took The Scout Promise. To say we can and are Prepared to do better. That is what being a Scout many years ago means to me and still does today. I may have forgotten the words to the Scout Promise I took many years ago but I haven't forgotten the meaning of The Scout Promise. I haven't forgotten that as a Scout that I am your Brother Scout and you are mine. AND I AM YOUR FRIEND AND YOU ARE MINE. BE PREPARED FOR LIFE CHANGES

I was a boy scout. Made it to the rank of Life Scout. I only needed to do my Eagle Project to get my Eagle Scout but I made some bad decisions in High School and decided not to finish it. Now that I look back on it I really wish I had.

I was also a member of the Order of the Arrow (technically I still am because once you are in the Brotherhood you are allways in the Brotherhood).

I really want to get active in the Boy Scouts again as a Scout Master and I am going to encourage my children to be in the Boy Scouts and earn the Eagle Scout.

Many great memories in Boy Scouts though. My favorite was the Inter Camp we would attend every year somewhere in Europe. It was basically a big International Jamboree with Scouts from all over the world.

I have a rather large box just filled with badges that I traded for from Scouts all over the World.

Good times...

Damn you beat me to it! That was my favorite saying to the younger boy scouts when I was an older teen ager.

That is great Adler to meet Scouts from all over the world at an Jamborree. I never took part in a Jamborree as a Scout. I am envious of you having been given the opportunity Brother. But took part in many a Gang Show or Travelled to meet American Scouts in Thailand. Or met Malaysian and Thai Scouts. I remember American Scouts putting on a Gang Show for us Aussie Scouts. It was at Camp Coronation on Penang Island Malaysia.

Which reminds me sitting around camp fires swapping Ghost Stories. Camp Coronation was suppose to have been built on the site of an Old Buddisht Cemetry and was supposively Haunted by the spirit of a Chinese Witch who took the form of a TREE which would come alive at certain times at night. They were great days Adler

That is great Adler to meet Scouts from all over the world at an Jamborree. I never took part in a Jamborree as a Scout. I am envious of you having been given the opportunity Brother. But took part in many a Gang Show or Travelled to meet American Scouts in Thailand. Or met Malaysian and Thai Scouts. I remember American Scouts putting on a Gang Show for us Aussie Scouts. It was at Camp Coronation on Penang Island Malaysia.

Which reminds me sitting around camp fires swapping Ghost Stories. Camp Coronation was suppose to have been built on the site of an Old Buddisht Cemetry and was supposively Haunted by the spirit of a Chinese Witch who took the form of a TREE which would come alive at certain times at night. They were great days Adler

The Jamborees were great. They took place every year in a different country in Europe but there were scouts from all over the world there. I went 4 times.

They would set up different events with teams made up of 2 scouts from each country and each group would be represented by 5 different countries. That way were had to meat each other and do things. It really was a great time.

the program has taken its knocks from all over the world and unjustly so, the equality thinige comes to mind which it total rubbish. chris do it man, your boys will thank you down the road like mine did a couple years after when he went to the ukraine and lived out of holes ans shacks for 3 weeks, he learned in scouts to be sociable and work as a team but i also taught him privately and through scouts to make it on his own like i tired to do with the older guys who ran up through eagle scout, one became an army sniper in iraq, another a front line medic.

more than ever on this earth the scout program needs to be supported in every way, too many boys are being dumped with no dads, dads that don't and will not take responsiblity for their actions and be a father. over the years i have talked one on one with too many single mothers trying to give their son's a good outlook on life and maybe some hope for the undecided future.........i don;t want this to be political in any way but if some clown in the whitehouse-she or he gets elected you will find the program will probably be torn down and removed altogether, that is just my personal gut feeling

The Jamborees were great. They took place every year in a different country in Europe but there were scouts from all over the world there. I went 4 times.

They would set up different events with teams made up of 2 scouts from each country and each group would be represented by 5 different countries. That way were had to meat each other and do things. It really was a great time.

Yes I have heard of teams like that before at Jamborrees Adler. Those Teams were done that way for that very reason. For boys to meet other boys from other countries. You know what having fun doing those Team Competitions soon breaks down barriers Adler. Builds up Trust and Friendship. Baden Powell was certainly a WISE OLD SCOUT Mate.

You know what one of my favourite activities as a Scout was? BOB A JOB WEEK and then forwarding the money earned to a local charity. The money my Troop earned went to a local orphange. I use to really enjoy doing those jobs knowing that the money earned went to help other kids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back