Carrier operations.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
For those that thinks that carrier operations is hazardous today should take a look at these....from the "good old days". You better not let your mind slip.
warmup51.jpg

5051f4f2.jpg

cva43launch53.jpg

From the USS Coral Sea Tribute Site.

For those that thinks that carrier operations is hazardous today should take a look at these....from the "good old days". You better not let your mind slip.

From the USS Coral Sea Tribute Site.

Nice Pixs. I suspect that it is not less hazardous today since one can get bit from both ends of the aircraft nowadays.

Knew a fellow once who was a Navy pilot who was flying F4Fs when war broke out( had 10 kills in the Pacific) His last job in the Navy was project officer on the F111B. Asked him if landing on a carrier was more or less difficult today than when he started. He said much more difficult in 1941.

Knew a fellow once who was a Navy pilot who was flying F4Fs when war broke out( had 10 kills in the Pacific) His last job in the Navy was project officer on the F111B. Asked him if landing on a carrier was more or less difficult today than when he started. He said much more difficult in 1941.

Interesting comment. The overtake speed is much higher today, however, with no angled deck on the older carriers, missed wires could be exciting!

While not aircraft-related, my dad told me of a guy on his CVE that ignored the warning siren on the aircraft lift. He got cut in half........

tom

dav, I think the angled flight deck is a big advantage as well as the mirror landing system. Some of the film shot of the early naval aviators trying to land on the Langley is very exciting.

One big difference between now and the "Good Old Days"is back then you only had one thing to worry PROPS! Today you have a mixed bag of props (E2C's and C-2A's) Helos, and the jets. One of the toughest things to get used to is knowing which jets are running and which aren't. After a while you get used to looking at the cockpits. If it's manned consider it running. It's a little easier today because the number of different jet models has been reduced. When I was on carriers we had A-7's, A-6's, EA-6's, S-3's, F-14's, E-2's, H-3's so you really had to keep you head on a swivel.:shock: THE ONLY PLACE WHERE RUSH HOUR IS AT THE SPEED OF SOUND! You gotta love it!!:)

dav, I think the angled flight deck is a big advantage as well as the mirror landing system. Some of the film shot of the early naval aviators trying to land on the Langley is very exciting.

You're right about the angle deck being a huge advantage. For two reasons, first of all as everyone knows you can launch and recover aircraft simultaneously but the other real advantage is the psychological one for the pilots. On short final they are looking at angle deck and blue water beyond vice straight deck and parked aircraft. Big difference in pucker factor. By the way, the mirror landing system you mentioned is called the "Fresnell Lens" and I've got no idea way since it does work using mirrors.:oops:

56ajcrash1.jpg

AJ touches down on deck-hook snaps off. If you look you can see the broken hook in the air just above the horizon.

56ajcrash2.jpg

The AJ makes contact with both the low barrier wires and then sheds the nylon high barriers (High barriers not shown).

56ajcrash3.jpg

Here the AJ has come through the barriers without any slowdown heading into the forward parked planes aircraft.

56ajcrash4.jpg

The AJ has made its first contact on its port wing. One interesting point--look at the forward deck, just to the left of the parked jeep, and you'll see one lucky sailor as he runs to port for cover.

56ajcrash5.jpg

Full contact. See that piece of wing on the horizon --that sailed about 2 feet over my head before crashing into the main stack.

AJ crash aftermath.

ajcrash1956jl1.jpg

ajcrash1956jl2.jpg

ajcrash1956jl3.jpg

ajcrash1956jl4.jpg

ajcrash1956jl5.jpg

ajcrash1956jl6.jpg

ajcrash1956jl7.jpg

ajcrash1956jl8.jpg

Just for size comparison....
cva43forrestal.jpg

1956 USS Coral Sea CVA-43 - In port at Norfolk Naval Shipyard. The new "super carrier" the USS Forrestal CV-59 is tied up on the next pier over. Note the size difference between the Midway Class and Forrestal Class. The Midway Class carriers could never operate F-14's or S-3 squadrons because of the limited space.

cvb431952flightdeck.jpg

flightops1954z.jpg

cva431954pack.jpg

6667a1va252.jpg

Same as above... USS Coral Sea Tribute Site.

I believe we have our British cousins to thank for a lot of the carrier innovations as they were first to use the angled flight deck, mirror landing system and steam catapult. Understand our CVs under construction now are going to use electro-magnetic catapults.

I believe we have our British cousins to thank for a lot of the carrier innovations as they were first to use the angled flight deck, mirror landing system and steam catapult. Understand our CVs under construction now are going to use electro-magnetic catapults.

AND....the're not gonna name them after Presidents anymore I've heard.

Glad to be of service lads... A question though. What happens to the pilot in cases like these? It was obviously NOT is fault, right? Could he had done something else? Will he have to face a, not a courtmarcial(?) maybe, but something similar?

Au contraire, I believe one of the CVs currently under construction is named after Bush 41.

Thats true.

I don't know what names are planned for after Bush "41".

No one is sure going to want to serve on a USS Clinton (even if they're gay.....)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back