Cars slam into Plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Cars slam into plane after Calif. freeway landing.

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a small airplane was struck by three vehicles just after it made an emergency landing on a California freeway.
Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor says the Piper PA-24 Comanche with two people on board was bound for Santa Barbara Airport Sunday when the pilot told air traffic controllers he had no fuel remaining and landed on the southbound side of U.S. Highway 101, about one mile northeast of the airport.

California Highway Patrol Officer James Richards says three cars were unable to avoid the plane and crashed into it. He says the occupants of the plane and the cars were not injured.

Richards says traffic briefly backed up for miles while crews shut down the freeway to remove the plane.

Cars slam into plane after Calif. freeway landing - USATODAY.com

Its a great thing to see everyone ok. But, how the hell do you miss a airplane in the middle of the road and slam into it. I know its not a everyday thing, but geeze. Not only that, but 3 cars. That had to have seen him land unless it was around a sharp corner. Just kinda funny but sad at the same time. Again, im glad everyone is ok.

This happened to a 'friend of a friend" on the Simi Valley freeway in SoCal about 20 years ago.

There is no excuse for running out of fuel during a normal GA flight - PERIOD.

Dead right Joe. Don't know about the FAA in the U.S., but here in the UK the CAA would be looking very closely at this chap, and, at best, he (or she) would get a severe reprimand from the Flying Club CFI or Aiport Manager, depending on situation. There would most likely be civil charges too, possibly criminal charges (endangering life etc), and the licence might even be revoked. Unless there were circumstances beyond his control, eg malfunctioning fuel gauge [although he should have 'dipped' the tank(s)], or a leak, his fuel state should have been taken into account for Flight Planning and weight and balance checks.

Yep - here it is a violation - this guy is looking at a 60 day pilot's certificate suspension at a minimum. I doubt his insurance pays for the aircraft loss.

...Still would need to see some pictures to see how 3 (!) cars managed to crash into it after landing, would certainly answer some questions.
I hate to say it, but California drivers have become some of the stupidist humans on the face of the planet. Didn't used to be that way...

What I have trouble understanding though, is how the pilot could have allowed the aircraft to run out of fuel. I'd sure like to see what they find out.

But what completely amazes me, is that only three cars hit the plane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back