Check this painting out

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colin1

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 2, 2009
United Kingdom
At last, a Mustang print that I like...

Title: Bolt from Above

Robert Winks in his P-51D Mustang Trusty Rusty Scores a victory against an Me262 - January 1945

Signed by Robert P. Winks - Ace - 357th Fighter Group
Signed by Merle Olmsted MSGT, USAF (Ret)
Historian, 357th Fighter Group

Robert Winks, 357th Fighter Group Ace achieved what most did not. Flying his P-51D Mustang Trusty Rusty, he shot down a German Me262 jet. Nearing the end of the war, Germany produced a technical marvel, the first jet to enter combat. A beautiful airplane, it was capable of speeds over 100mph faster than its prop-driven opponents. Needless to say, they were hard to catch! Luckily for the Allies, it was another case of too little too late and the Me262 was not enough to change the tide of the air war.

Here Robert describes the remarkable event:

"I was at 15,000 feet near Munich when I saw a plane doing slow rolls on the deck - it was an Me262. He had been flying away from what I later learned was the Schöngau Aerodrome. I dropped my wing tanks and rolled over into an 80 degree dive with 5 degrees of diving flaps. He made a 180 degree turn and flew back toward me, just before I started my dive. I was diving at a point ahead of his aircraft, and I had to adjust my dive angle to about 60 degrees. I closed to within 500 yards above him, and scored multiple hits across, and on both sides of his canopy. It flamed at once, rolled over...and that is all I saw because I was going straight back to 15,000 feet of altitude. But I had a problem. My engine was without power, it was windmilling! Ack ack was coming up at me from all directions! The engine had no power!!!? I had dropped the wing auxiliary tanks (which I was using), without turning the gas selector switch onto the internal wing tanks! If I had a vapor-lock, which I probably had, my P-51 prop was turning so fast as a result of my near vertical dive, that it sucked it out and took-off for fifteen thousand feet of altitude, which we made back, toot-sweet!"

"Looking back, that fool mistake may have saved my life that day! My engine was making no noise on my way down! The ack ack crews didn't notice me until after I hit the Me262 and that gave me time to get away from them."

"Richard Peterson followed me down, but he never told me that he drew any ack ack! Immediately after I hit the Me262, Pete said, "Good shootin'!" to me on the RTA.

Anyway, all is well that end's well! Right?"

Attachments

• MustangMe262.jpg
    MustangMe262.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 265
I respect the talents of the people who make this type of art. However, personally I much prefer a true painter like Robert Taylor who did the painting in my sig.

I respect the talents of the people who make this type of art. However, personally I much prefer a true painter like Robert Taylor who did the painting in my sig.
I agree
I was debating with myself over whether I'd buy something like this, it is, after all, signed by one of the combatants. But is it about that, or about a great piece of artwork (brushwork) that has been endorsed by the same combatant with his signature? I think it is.

Any picture is worth what the viewer sees in it - if it's pleasing, then it fulfills a desire. However, if the picture is painted, by hand, using the skill and 'vision' of the artist in visualising and creating the scene, with painstaking precision, then that is doubly worth it. Not decrying CGI 'artists', as it requires a different skill to manipulate the computer, but it is the computer which provides the colours, tones and shapes, not the skill and dexterity of the artist's hands and eyes. There's no doubt that the picture in question is pleasing, but it does have the 'artificial' look of an electronic image. Still, if signed by the pilot, could be worth having, even if just for the historic value.

Echo that...

As an artist, I much prefer real drawings and paintings to CGI myself. Comments here on Airfix's switch to CGI box art, for example show that I'm far from alone on that too.
As good a job as some of these guys do, I cringe when they call themselves artists, much the same as when a computer modeller calls themself a modelmaker, or someone who's played IL-2 a few times thinks they're a pilot... Alot of skill required for all, no question of that, but it's just not the same thing...
(I realise I've just trodden on some members toes here, but that's my opinion sorry...)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back