Company boss refuses to employ ex service personnel

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FalkeEins

Senior Airman
A company boss has provoked outrage after refusing a request to employ former troops, saying that he would rather recruit paedophiles. Karl Winn, 60, said he would hire ex-drug dealers, convicts and child molesters ahead of ex-military personnel because they had been held accountable for their actions. His comments were in response to an email from Forces Recruitment Services which helps find jobs for ex-soldiers. The former social worker, who employs 16 people at his firm Webeurope net design in Taunton, Somerset, said he stood by his ban on hiring anybody in the pay of the British Government.

Boss: Rather hire cons than heroes - AOL News

Imagining the outrage and negative public opinion that (I hope) will be directed towards this idiot...I gotta wonder if he realized the full implications of his statement. See below:

Quoting from the brief AOL article, the words of Karl Winn - "The reality from the north of Ireland, to Afghanistan and Iraq, is that the perpetrators of such atrocities will always be free to get on with their lives, safe in the knowledge that the policy of the British Government is to ensure their protection from prosecution".

I would love to see some veteran run web-design businesses come forward and offer to take all of the clients of this buffoon. An intellect like Mr. Winns shouldn't be shackled by gainful employment. :0 :)

Derek

Paedophiles?
This guy's going to turn up for work tomorrow and find a picket line outside his main gate - he'd better hope that

i. the Police are also in attendance
ii. he remembered to lock his doors

one way or the other, this is going to hurt him. He fails to explain why he hasn't found cause to censure all civilians for those few that have also killed and gotten away with it.

What an @8sehole! So, it's ok for guys to put their lives on the line, maybe get mutilated, so that him, and people like him, can sleep soundly at night, after having the freedom to indulge in whatever takes their fancy, but it's not ok for these same people to seek and enjoy secure, gainful employement after leaving the Services, where their 'transferable skills' could be of immense value to the employer concerned? I think he may be having a vist one of these dark nights......

What a douchebag. He apparently has gotten so much flak he posted a response on his webpage:

Press Release - Webeurope, Somerset

Karl Winn - Personal Statement
Background

Karl Winn, Webeurope's founder and principle owner, has for many years supported numerous organisations (NGO's), such organisations include: -

•The International Human Rights Network - Supporting others in applying Human Rights Based Approaches to UN Agencies, countries, and organisations.
•Film Makers Against War - FAW seeks to educate and raise awareness of UK and international war law
•Art and Sacred Places - Encourages the interaction of art and religion by commissioning artists to make work in sacred places.
•Relatives for Justice – A northern Ireland based organisation that supports and campaigns on behalf of the families of the 367 men, women, and children, who have been killed by members of the British Military and Police services. The campaign seeks to bring the perpetrators of such killings before the courts.
Statement By Karl Winn

For the record, I have employed ex-Military staff. This was not my issue in my private email exchange with the MD of Forces Recruitment Services Ltd. What I objected to was being asked to give preference to employing ex-British Military personnel under their "hire-a-hero" scheme, simply because they have served in our Armed Forces.

I admit that at one point in this private exchange I did say I would prefer to offer employment to criminals because they had at least been investigated and brought before the courts to be held accountable for their actions. I regret making those comments if they were to be made public, as i would have made my point in a more tactful way, but it was said in private, and it was made clear that this was my personal view.

My policy is, and remains, to give jobs to people based on their merit as individuals, and not simply because of their service in the armed forces.

Contrary to popular sentiment serving in the British Military is not in itself "brave" or "heroic", and it certainly isn't in support of "democracy", least of all ours.

The reality from the north of Ireland, to Afghanistan and Iraq, is that the British Military have committed crimes against unarmed civilians. The perpetrators of such atrocities however remain unaccountable for their actions, safe in the knowledge that the principle policy of the British Government is to ensure their protection from prosecution.

British Military involvement in the north of Ireland has resulted in 367 direct killings by the British State of unarmed, men, women, and children. The victims' families still campaign for these cases to be thoroughly investigated, and those responsible brought before the courts, in order to achieve justice and closure.

The Dublin and Monaghan bombings – the greatest single loss of life during that 30 year conflict in Ireland - the British Government refused last year to hand over documents that were requested by the Irish TD Bertie Ahern on the role of the British Military in the bombing that killed 33 people in Dublin in 1974.

All the way through to our disgraceful and dishonest presence in Iraq and Afghanistan (see yesterdays report on the murder of 8 Iraq civilians while in British Military "custody"). The British Military has a legacy of unlawful killings that need thorough investigation.

It is simply not good enough to argue that such victims "were Catholic, or Nationalists / Republican" or even "Muslim", and therefore the victims' families are not worthy of justice and closure. If we truly value democracy and justice we need to ensure we are not selective in its application.

The "war-on-terror" is a lie, and anybody who cares to examine the actual facts will know it. If anything it is not the Taliban that is a threat to our democracy and civil rights it is the British State.

Sadly, the British Government has used the lie of a "war on terror" to justify their support of US strategic ambitions in the illegal invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan. It will give no comfort to the parents who have lost a son or daughter in this conflict when the British Military withdraw from these countries and history exposes this lie for what is it.

Readers who wish to respond to the above statement please email me at [email protected], Alternatively I can be contacted by phone on 07979-234666.

Regards

Karl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back