Coronavirus Thread (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
C048156A-68AA-4C2B-9FE8-854A847567D0.jpeg

Florida is doing pretty much the same. the 3 counties near Miami have tighter restrictions and there were law suits being filed just on the strength of the announcements, on the basis of not being "fair" before the easing of the restrictions even took effect.
Florida is a real microcosm of the whole country with some of the aspects even more exaggerated. We have the oldest, highest risk population. We also have an economy based on tourism/service and many of the jobs are low paying. We also have the lowest unemployment payouts in the nation. We also have some high density cities/urban areas and some low density agriculture areas (or swamp) with very few reported cases. We also have a fair number of fundamentalist churches.

It is not a good recipe.

649 deaths in UK in last 24 hours, yet hints that some easing of restrictions may start on monday !
That still seems pretty high number of people dying on a daily basis

Italy report, 5 pm CEST 6th May
cases 214,457, +1,444, deaths 29,684, +369, recovered 93,245, +8,014, active cases 91,528, -6,939, tests 2,310,929, +64,263
fatality rate 13.8%
mortality 492 per million
test rate 38.3 per thousand
positive rate 9.3%
test rate today 1,065 per million
positive rate today 2.2%

How long before Covid becomes a Mosquito borne infection I wonder?

Well, hypothetically, it already is: a person with Covid-19 could get bitten by a mosquito, which could then ingest some of the circulating virus from her victim (the mosquitoes that suck blood are all female; they need the iron in blood for egg development). Then, she could bite a second person and transfer some of the virus into a second person.

Since there is already a pretty effective, direct, person-person path, it's unlikely that the mosquito vector would become that important.

I'm not an epidemiologist, so my knowledge is on the subject is strictly limited, nor do I have an MBA, so I don't think I know everything, but I think most arthropod-vectored illness (ticks, mosquitoes, and kissing bugs are all arthropods) are bacterial (Lyme) or protozoans (leishmaniasis, malaria, Chagas disease), not viral.

Last edited:
The Premier has spoken, coming soon....family hugs.

"Small dinner parties, backyard barbecues and hugs with family are set to return to B.C., just in time for the Victoria Day long weekend, while haircuts and elective surgeries might be available again within weeks.
The provincial government announced its plans Wednesday for a gradual return to normal life in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
As of next weekend, gatherings with two to six guests are OK, as long as there's a strict understanding that no one will socialize if they have any symptoms of COVID-19, including coughing and sneezing.
Even long-verboten signs of affection like hugging extended family members might be acceptable, as long as the recipient isn't vulnerable to serious illness"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-update-may-6-1.5556699

Alberta will make a call on a Stage 1 relaxations on May 14. There were "early" relaxations last week that opened parks, hiking trails, golf courses among other things. Golfed today with the new rules - flags stay in the hole (that are actually screwed in place), keep your separation (no problem with the way I play) use your own tees, once person per cart (though we walked). Oh, and don't kiss anyone's balls. The last one I made up. Here are Alberta's cases:
Capture.JPG

imho your assumption that after 2 weeks a people is recovered is too optimistic, in my town we have a asymptomatic positive after 48 days

It's not MY assumption. This is from the official government website. The only way to make sure someone has recovered is to test them, and that's a waste of a test kit for most people. And while there may be cases recurring after 2 weeks, I understand that this is more the exception than the rule.

Minnesota report, May 6
cases 8,579***, recovered 5,005, hospitalized 1,405, deaths 485**/***, tested 93,232*/***
fatality rate 5.7%
mortality rate 85.1 per million
test rate 16.4 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, there are currently more available than needed to meet the demands of testing for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel. Testing of the general population is beginning in small numbers.
**Approximately 80% of Minnesota COVID-19 deaths have been from cases originating in nursing homes and assisted care facilities. As of today, the youngest to die was 30 years old, the oldest was 109. 98% of deaths have occurred among patients with underlying health conditions. In Minnesota the median age of death is 83.
***The measures used by Minnesota have reduced the rate of spread significantly, and our rate of spread (reflected by the 'curve') now appears to be almost constant. This appears true regardless of whether the controlling factor used is confirmed cases, test rate, or death rate.

Italy report, 7th May 5 pm CEST
cases 215,858, +1,401, deaths 29,958, +274, recovered 96,276, +3,031, active cases 89,624, -1,904, tests 2,381,288, +70,359
fatality rate 13.9%
mortality rate 497 per million
test rate 39.5 per thousand
positive rate 9.1%
infected rate 3,579 per million (cases/population)
active rate 1,486 per million (active cases/population)
test rate today 1,166 per million
positive rate today 2%
new cases today 23 per million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back