Coronavirus Thread (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the fact that the medical community is not unanimous. Our experts actually say that masks are not effective. They call it 'schijn veiligheid' or 'false sense of security'. As Dave points out, they only help if used correctly. I can attest to that. Used in a wrong way, it only enhances spreading the virus. In the best situation it is estimated here that a mask will prevent somwhere between 10 nd 40% of virus particals from reaching your nose or mouth. There is also no good scientific ground to conclude that it will reduce the transmission. It's never been researched properly. Meanwhile we will all use up masks that they need so badly in our hospitals, so I'm not in favour of everybody wearing them.

I do not disagree that people need to wear them properly. That will never happen either way because a huge segment of the population will play the "You can't tell me what to do BS".

Even with regular cloth masks, any reduction of droplets entering the air, lowers the risk. If everyone is wearing a mask, the risk should be reduced, even if only by a little. That does not mean people should stop taking other precautions. With not knowing who is sick, and who isn't, I think that is reasonable. How can anyone reasonably expect to feel safe shopping, getting a haircut, going out to eat, and not knowing who is sick and who isn't.

As for using up the supply of masks that our healthcare providers desperately need, I agree whole heartedly. The supplies have not been properly maintained or procured. That is another failure of a country and states leadership, and that problem has probably persisted for decades.

Last edited:
One also has to remember the purpose of the mask is not to protect yourself, but those around you. In an environment where testing is still lackluster, and no one knows who has it and who doesn't, masks sure as hell seem like a good idea to me when they reduce the number of droplets in the air.

Italy report, 12th May 5 pm CEST
cases 221,216, +1,402, deaths 30,911, +172, recovered 109,039, +2,452, active cases 81,266, -1,222, tests 2,673,655, +67,003
fatality rate 14%
mortality rate 512 per million
test rate 44.3 per thousand
positive rate 8.3%
total case rate 3,668 per million
active case rate 1,347 per million
test rate today 1,111 per million
positive rate today 2.1%
new case rate today 23 per million

Went for a walk on the boardwalk at Jones beach with wife and son. About half the people were wearing masks and most were observing social distancing. The boardwalk was somewhat partitioned to keep the east and west bound traffic separate. Included this picture of the west bath house because it looks good and the flags are at half mast.

And wear one if you have an ingrained habit of touching your face for any reasons as it keeps your fingers off your skin

"WTF? Sounds like hocus-pocus to ME! If it doesn't protect ME, WHY TF WEAR IT, and look like a F_ _ _ING DORK??"
Exactly how I feel about airport security, I just tell them I havnt a bomb or gun and they say "have a nice flight sir" and wave me through.

Exactly how I feel about airport security, I just tell them I havnt a bomb or gun and they say "have a nice flight sir" and wave me through.
A few years ago I was flying from PG to Vancouver and went through security. My pockets were emptied and my luggage checked. As I went by the security guard I asked him, "What about a cavity check?" He looked confused and said, "Wut?" I said, "I really want one." He said, "Not on my watch buddy"

Try that in Europe and you will probably get one, or at least an interview long enough to screw up your whole trip.

My last trip to PNG, I got explosives tested every airport I went through - both directions.

There's no way it's random, expecially when the security person told one of the crew to come through the gate after me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread