Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will most likely continue to work from home until at least August. I'm ok with that too. In fact if given the option to work from home permanently, I will probably do so. I am still productive, but I get to see my family more. Instead of leaving at 4:30 in the morning before my family wakes up, I get up right before 6. I can have breakfast and lunch with the family. I get off at 14:30, and can go straight to doing family stuff.

Work-Life balance. Something this country I feel has forgotten a thing or two about.

I will most likely continue to work from home until at least August. I'm ok with that too. In fact if given the option to work from home permanently, I will probably do so. I am still productive, but I get to see my family more. Instead of leaving at 4:30 in the morning before my family wakes up, I get up right before 6. I can have breakfast and lunch with the family. I get off at 14:30, and can go straight to doing family stuff.

Work-Life balance. Something this country I feel has forgotten a thing or two about.
Having been working from home now for 10 years, I know how you feel.

It's not all good though. It's really easy to work 12+ hour days, and be 'always on call'.
If we didn't have a dedicated office space then I don't think I could do it successfully. I still have the 'go to work' and 'come home form work' mindset.
I also sit here when the weather's good and think about all the jobs you could be doing around the house.

Having been working from home now for 10 years, I know how you feel.

It's not all good though. It's really easy to work 12+ hour days, and be 'always on call'.
If we didn't have a dedicated office space then I don't think I could do it successfully. I still have the 'go to work' and 'come home form work' mindset.
I also sit here when the weather's good and think about all the jobs you could be doing around the house.

Having a dedicated office certainly helps. I could not do it without one. My kids would not let me get any work done. lol

I converted an extra bedroom into an office. Got a nice desk and office chair, and I brought my 2 monitors, 2 mouses, keyboard, docking station and everything from my work desk home.

Hey pgeno71,

I asked your question at the lab today and was told that currently the case rate is based only on new cases, ie someone who tested positive for the COVID-19 virus antigen - meaning that they were infected at the time of the test. For the vast majority of the cases counted this means the positive test was of the PCR variety. There have been a few cases of people receiving an antibody (serology) test while being infected with COVID-19 and being non-symptomatic (an antibody test can sometimes indicate active virus also), and these people were subsequently counted as new cases. The results of serology tests that only show past infection are, however, being recorded for use in historical tracing of the spread of the virus.

Minnesota report, May 28
cases 22,947**, recovered 16,665, hospitalized 2,880, deaths 967**, tested 225,208*/**
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 169.6 per million
test rate 39.5 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, and Minnesota's ability to test is now more than 8,000 people/day. Testing of the general population is beginning in small numbers.
**The stay-at-home and shut down measures used by Minnesota have kept the potential rate of spread significantly below what it would have been without such measures. However, based on the hospitalization and death rates, the rate of spread is still increasing slightly with an approximate R factor of 1.035 new cases each day (ie the number of new cases each day is doubling every 20 days). Using the number of tests coming in positive the R factor is 1.045 (ie the number of new cases each day is doubling every 16 days), but it needs to be remembered that the test rate is increasing significantly.

Addition to Minnesota report, May 28

To date, Minnesota has been able to prevent our hospitals from being overwhelmed. However, over the last week 2 out of 3 Level 1 trauma centers in the Twin Cities metro area (the trauma centers with the most capable and largest ICU capacities) have had to begin using their 'surge' capacity.

Some Singaporean COVID-19 humor

COVID-19 funny44.png

and

COVID-19 funny57.png

Minnesota report, May 29
cases 23,531**, recovered 16,930, hospitalized 2,936, deaths 996**, tested 233,873*/**
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 174.7 per million
test rate 41 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, and Minnesota's ability to test is now more than 8,000 people/day. Testing of the general population is beginning in small numbers.
**The stay-at-home and shut down measures used by Minnesota have kept the potential rate of spread significantly below what it would have been without such measures. However, based on the hospitalization and death rates, the rate of spread is still increasing slightly with an approximate R factor of 1.035 new cases each day (ie the number of new cases each day is doubling every 20 days). Using the number of tests coming in positive the R factor is 1.045 (ie the number of new cases each day is doubling every 16 days), but it needs to be remembered that the test rate is increasing significantly.

Minnesota report, May 30
cases 24,190**, recovered 17,864, hospitalized 3,011, deaths 1,026**, tested 242,508*/**
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 180 per million
test rate 42.5 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, and Minnesota now has the ability to test more than 8,000 people/day. Testing is available to the general population in small numbers.

Italy report, 31st May 5 pm CEST, weekly changes
cases 233,019, +3,161, deaths 33,415, +630, recovered 157,507, +17,028, active cases 42,075, -14,519, tests 3,878,739, +431,727, people tested 2,433,621, +234,989
fatality rate 14.3% (=)
mortality rate 554 per million (+10)
test rate 64.3 per thousand (+7,2)
positive rate 9.6% (-0.9)
test rate this week 7,158 per million
positive rate this week 1.3%, apparent positive rate this week 0.7% (-0.3)
new case rate this week 52 per million

Last edited:
Minnesota report, May 31
cases 24,850**, recovered 18,695, hospitalized 3,047, deaths 1,040**, tested 249,519*/**
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 182.5 per million
test rate 43.8 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, and Minnesota now has the ability to test more than 8,000 people/day. Testing is available to the general population in small numbers.

Having a dedicated office certainly helps. I could not do it without one. My kids would not let me get any work done. lol

I converted an extra bedroom into an office. Got a nice desk and office chair, and I brought my 2 monitors, 2 mouses, keyboard, docking station and everything from my work desk home.
I work from the living room. But fetched my chair and a monitor. It's doable but last week I've been at the office for one day which was great.

Only bad things about working at home is I no longer have a refuge from work. Beyond that I enjoyed it.
Yeah, but you can drink at work if you work from home...

It takes a bit of discipline to not answer the phone out of hours. I'm not a work-a-holic type anyway so don't have too much problem that way, but can put in a 12 hour day, and still have dinner with the family and spend time with my son.

Minnesota report, June 1
cases 25,208**, recovered 19,441, hospitalized 3,086, deaths 1,050**, tested 255,592*/**
fatality rate 4.2%
mortality rate 184.2 per million
test rate 44.8 per thousand*

Just got the "dashboard report" from my state. No new cases in six days, 1 (one) person currently in hospital (not ICU), no deaths in almost two weeks, total deaths to date 55, out of a state population of 630,000.
Barbershop opened today and I got shorn!
Cheers,
Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back