Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
With my apologies to the Moderators;

The quotes by me in the posts above were made on June 17th, and I thought we had moved on. I was absent from the Forum for about five days as I had a heart attack on June 27th. So believe me when I tell you that stress is the last thing I need in my life at this point, and as such I have taken many deep breathes, and a nap, before diving back into this...

I am a newer member of this forum, and while I can appreciate the idea that politics is not allowed, how can you have a thread on this subject without it becoming political? These are the times in which we live, and frankly always have.

I believe that to a great degree, the biggest problem we face here in the United States is that we cannot have honest, intellectual dialogs between opposing groups. We tend to retreat to our respective corners and hurl invectives at one another. When I was younger, I watched my Fathers generation argue with my Grandfathers generation over Watergate. While these conversations were heated, they were civil, and when they were over everyone was still talking to each other.

I have never directly called another member a name, nor ascribed a negative trait to a member. I personally believe such name calling and labeling is a sign than the member cannot defend their position intellectually. I don't want to retreat to my corner, I want you to convince me my thinking on the subject needs some fine tuning or perhaps a complete re-think. I do not believe I have a monopoly on good ideas.

This requires that all of us are at least respectful to other members, regardless of how their comments may make our blood boil. It also requires that we take into account those things that others find offensive, and avoid them if possible, and when necessary.

Highest Regards,

Kim Neelley
get well soon Kim

Karl

The naming of diseases after their original point of recognized infection is a long-standing medical tradition, so I neither take nor offer any offense with the use of the term "Wuhan flu/virus."

However, there is also a tradition for dropping the locality when folks do get offended, regardless of the original intent. The name Lyme disease originated in Old Lyme, Connecticut, and that name has proved an source of discomfort to some citizens of that town. The people of Norwalk, Connecticut, (my original home town) seemed to have learned that lesson. Combining the lesson with a bit of political pull, what was originally called the "Norwalk virus" is now generally known as the "Norovirus."

We know the recent problem began in Wuhan, China, not with visiting US servicemen as reported by the Chinese government. But Covid 19 seems to be the most commonly accepted name for this plague, so "Covid 19" it is!

Cheers,

Dana

My gripe with "Wuhan Flu" is that COVID-19 is NOT influenza. It never has been and it never will be. Yes, there are some similarities regarding symptoms and the Wuhan Flu does have a nice rhyming pattern to the name...but it is an entirely separate, genetically different virus.

To me, associating it with the flu is part of the process of diminishing its impact despite the evidence before our eyes of the colossal toll it is taking, both human and financial.

The naming of diseases after their original point of recognized infection is a long-standing medical tradition, so I neither take nor offer any offense with the use of the term "Wuhan flu/virus."

However, there is also a tradition for dropping the locality when folks do get offended, regardless of the original intent. The name Lyme disease originated in Old Lyme, Connecticut, and that name has proved an source of discomfort to some citizens of that town. The people of Norwalk, Connecticut, (my original home town) seemed to have learned that lesson. Combining the lesson with a bit of political pull, what was originally called the "Norwalk virus" is now generally known as the "Norovirus."

We know the recent problem began in Wuhan, China, not with visiting US servicemen as reported by the Chinese government. But Covid 19 seems to be the most commonly accepted name for this plague, so "Covid 19" it is!

Cheers,

Dana

Here is the thing, if he/they were calling it the Wuhan Virus, or Chinese Virus that would be naming it after its origination location.

Calling it the Wuhan Kung Flu or whatever buzzword is the flavor of the day is a tasteless and childish attempt at mockery and an attempt to insult, and quite possibly rile people up. Just look where the phrase comes from.

And it has nothing to do with political correctness for that matter. Especially since most people that complain about PC are just trying to justify their own poor behavior and actions.

Last edited:
My gripe with "Wuhan Flu" is that COVID-19 is NOT influenza. It never has been and it never will be. Yes, there are some similarities regarding symptoms and the Wuhan Flu does have a nice rhyming pattern to the name...but it is an entirely separate, genetically different virus.

To me, associating it with the flu is part of the process of diminishing its impact despite the evidence before our eyes of the colossal toll it is taking, both human and financial.
There are also people calling it a 'cold virus' which is essentially correct. Every year we get the cold from either Rhino viruses or corona viruses. But this one is just that little bit nastier.

Okay guys, the right and official name for this virus illness is COVID-19 and I would appreciate it if you guys refer to it that way. Corona is also accepted as the virus is classed in the family of the Corona viruses. Any other names, both emotionally or humor inspired ones are not accepted and could result in a few days vacation from this forum.

I hope I make myself clear.
I thought Corona was a beer.

With my apologies to the Moderators;

The quotes by me in the posts above were made on June 17th, and I thought we had moved on. I was absent from the Forum for about five days as I had a heart attack on June 27th. So believe me when I tell you that stress is the last thing I need in my life at this point, and as such I have taken many deep breathes, and a nap, before diving back into this...

I am a newer member of this forum, and while I can appreciate the idea that politics is not allowed, how can you have a thread on this subject without it becoming political? These are the times in which we live, and frankly always have.

I believe that to a great degree, the biggest problem we face here in the United States is that we cannot have honest, intellectual dialogs between opposing groups. We tend to retreat to our respective corners and hurl invectives at one another. When I was younger, I watched my Fathers generation argue with my Grandfathers generation over Watergate. While these conversations were heated, they were civil, and when they were over everyone was still talking to each other.

I have never directly called another member a name, nor ascribed a negative trait to a member. I personally believe such name calling and labeling is a sign than the member cannot defend their position intellectually. I don't want to retreat to my corner, I want you to convince me my thinking on the subject needs some fine tuning or perhaps a complete re-think. I do not believe I have a monopoly on good ideas.

This requires that all of us are at least respectful to other members, regardless of how their comments may make our blood boil. It also requires that we take into account those things that others find offensive, and avoid them if possible, and when necessary.

Highest Regards,

Kim Neelley
Thankfully, you're still here with us. Hoping and praying for your speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back