Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
First, thank you for not using the aforementioned term for the virus, I appreciate the courtesy.
I've said I'll call it what I want to. Your thanks seem condescending. Please understand that what friction will arise will be worse to the extent that you strive to act as my language monitor.

Second, I did not read the article but I'm curious to know if it referred to Covid-19 as "Kung Flu", or did you interject that term yourself?
I'm a troglodyte, and I hear the term in many places, including official US Gov't expressions.

Third, I assumed your original use of this pun/malaprop was intended to be humorous, and yet your tone here appears to be quite serious...
And? I call it the "Wuhan Kung Flu" as a serious malapropism.

Fourth, unless the origin of Covid-19 moves the ball forwards in terms of how we address the current outbreak, I don't understand the need to label it with any origin. Is there some concern that someone will forget where the outbreak fist occurred?
Here is room for much reply. To be brief: "How we address" should be based on its origin, as well as the machinations that enhanced its spread. And indeed, there is much PC language-enforcement attempted with apparent intent to forget its origin.

Should the CCP have been more open at the beginning of the outbreak? Yes. Would that have prevented it from becoming a Pandemic? Not likely.
ABSOLUTELY. Had the CCP raised the proper flags and
1: Stopped incoming air flights, Chinese New Year notwithstanding
2: Stopped outgoing air flights, foreign employment of millions of Chinese nationals notwithstanding
3: Informed the world to quarantine anybody coming from China,
This outbreak would have been relatively small.

Flagging "dislike" etc on my speech ? You're not my mommy.

I have not seen an article that mentions the number of current cases in China, but I think this is just alarmist journalism. Occasional cases do occur in countries with infected rodent populations. The southwest US can have as many as a dozen or more cases a year, but it's usually less. Stay away from prairie dogs.
Here on the Panhandle, the dangers are mostly from the Crocroach. Not as carriers of Yersinia Pestis, but once you've been eaten it doesn't much matter why you're dead.
Once my 30-year-old, when 5, spotted a Hippopirhanamus. No more swimming there, thank you very much.

Okay guys, the right and official name for this virus illness is COVID-19 and I would appreciate it if you guys refer to it that way. Corona is also accepted as the virus is classed in the family of the Corona viruses. Any other names, both emotionally or humor inspired ones are not accepted and could result in a few days vacation from this forum.

I hope I make myself clear.

Last edited:
Okay guys, the right and official name for this virus is COVID-19 and I would appreciate it if you guys refer to it that way. Corona is also accepted as it is classed in the family of the Corona viruses. Any other names, both emotionally or humor inspired ones are not accepted and could result in a few days vacation from this forum.

Thank you, it should be obvious there is nothing PC about it.

Okay guys, the right and official name for this virus is COVID-19 and I would appreciate it if you guys refer to it that way. Corona is also accepted as it is classed in the family of the Corona viruses. Any other names, both emotionally or humor inspired ones are not accepted and could result in a few days vacation from this forum.

I agree and accept and I am not trying to be a wise ass, but to be technical the name of the virus is Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoVid-2). CoVid-19 refers to the disease caused by the pathogen.

I saw something that said US citizens can't fly to Canada, but they can drive!
We sort of have the reverse here in Aus. People from Victoria, where it is out of control, are not allowed into Queensland by car but can fly in, and since some stupid time like 10am Monday those who fly in must hotel quarantine at their own expense for 14 days but those who landed ten minutes earlier do not have to. Officially Queensland had closed borders for the last two months but when my brother in law returned from Victoria June 30 he was waved straight through because he had Qld plates. When he tried to get a Covid test at the local public testing station he was told he needed paperwork to get one. He then went to the local hospital, told them he wanted a test as he had just returned from Vic, and they sent him to a GP to get a referral. Four days later he got his test.

NSW is now closing their border to Victoria and are calling Vic irresponsible yet NSW were the people that turned loose all the infected cruise ship passengers to fly all over Aus. Hypocrisy thy name is politician.

Interestingly the majority of new cases in Vic are aged below 40.

in reply to Dash119 said: Should the CCP have been more open at the beginning of the outbreak? Yes. Would that have prevented it from becoming a Pandemic? Not likely.
Said
ABSOLUTELY. Had the CCP raised the proper flags and
2: Stopped outgoing air flights, foreign employment of millions of Chinese nationals notwithstanding

The correct answer to that question is
ABSOLUTELY. Had other countries reacted correctly when the CCP raised the alarm flags by banning all internal travel in China originating in Wuhan and
1: Stopped incoming air flights from China, and
2: Stopped outgoing air flights to China, Chinese New Year notwithstanding, and
3: Prohibited anybody coming from China through other countries, then:
this outbreak would have been relatively small.

Regardless of what country you are in, blaming China for your own governments stupidity, especially when Taiwan was telling everyone this is what you absolutely must do RIGHT NOW, is hypocrisy and the typical response of a spoilt brat who never accepts responsibility for their own actions and stupidity.

The correct answer to that question is
ABSOLUTELY. Had other countries reacted correctly when the CCP raised the alarm flags by banning all internal travel in China originating in Wuhan and
1: Stopped incoming air flights from China, and
2: Stopped outgoing air flights to China, Chinese New Year notwithstanding, and
3: Prohibited anybody coming from China through other countries, then:
this outbreak would have been relatively small.

Regardless of what country you are in, blaming China for your own governments stupidity,

I have not done so and do not do so. The 52+ governments in charge of various parts of the US response to the pandemic have manifested very poor thought in many places.

Correct quote:

With my apologies to the Moderators;

The quotes by me in the posts above were made on June 17th, and I thought we had moved on. I was absent from the Forum for about five days as I had a heart attack on June 27th. So believe me when I tell you that stress is the last thing I need in my life at this point, and as such I have taken many deep breathes, and a nap, before diving back into this...

I am a newer member of this forum, and while I can appreciate the idea that politics is not allowed, how can you have a thread on this subject without it becoming political? These are the times in which we live, and frankly always have.

I believe that to a great degree, the biggest problem we face here in the United States is that we cannot have honest, intellectual dialogs between opposing groups. We tend to retreat to our respective corners and hurl invectives at one another. When I was younger, I watched my Fathers generation argue with my Grandfathers generation over Watergate. While these conversations were heated, they were civil, and when they were over everyone was still talking to each other.

I have never directly called another member a name, nor ascribed a negative trait to a member. I personally believe such name calling and labeling is a sign than the member cannot defend their position intellectually. I don't want to retreat to my corner, I want you to convince me my thinking on the subject needs some fine tuning or perhaps a complete re-think. I do not believe I have a monopoly on good ideas.

This requires that all of us are at least respectful to other members, regardless of how their comments may make our blood boil. It also requires that we take into account those things that others find offensive, and avoid them if possible, and when necessary.

Highest Regards,

Kim Neelley

First, thank you for not using the aforementioned term for the virus, I appreciate the courtesy.
I've said I'll call it what I want to. Your thanks seem condescending. Please understand that what friction will arise will be worse to the extent that you strive to act as my language monitor.

I am sorry that you interpreted that as condescending, it was not the intent. If you look back over your posts, you had actually stopped using the offensive term at that point in time. I assumed you were extending me some courtesy, as I had told you earlier that I personally found the term offensive.

The last thing I want is to be your language monitor, as your own words speak volumes But although we have the First Amendment here in the United States, not all speech is free...

I rated your post this morning with a "Dislike" because despite the progress we seemed to have made several weeks ago, with regards to this offensive term, you have reverted to using it. Not the highest form of debate, or courteous to those around you, just kind of dickish...

Regards,

Kim Neelley

That is agreed as one of the bigger obstacles to either seeing one another's thinking , or changing our own.

Then people need to start seeing facts instead of false truths and "alternative facts" because "daddy" said so.

No the forum will stick to it's no politics rule. If you want to discuss politics, go to what ever flavor of the month's forum you choose or facebook.

I will not let this forum degenerate into a left vs. right argument. Too many friendships have been lost over it.

With my apologies to the Moderators;

The quotes by me in the posts above were made on June 17th, and I thought we had moved on. I was absent from the Forum for about five days as I had a heart attack on June 27th. So believe me when I tell you that stress is the last thing I need in my life at this point, and as such I have taken many deep breathes, and a nap, before diving back into this...
Wow! Hope you are recovering well. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back