Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not what the data I posted stated, what is your source {not being a smart*ss, but I really want to know as I let facts and data drive my thinking].

But it hasnt, clearly.

You stated wuhan has under 1% and that puts it in the range of the FLU. You did.

People who dont get flu symptoms dont get tested, why would they? Only symptomatic people get tested for a well known sickness, otherwise you lack a reason to do so.

I'm pretty sure WHO, JAMA and NEJM are not playing anybody as a fool, they are making their comments based on the information they have on hand and based on past experiances.

Are you sure? The WHO is in CHINA'S POCKET, they have consistently and unabashedly PRAISED the country which started and covered up this whole mess, after all, its head is a communist from Ethiopia with old links to China...

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/14/asia/coronavirus-who-china-intl-hnk/index.html

"World Health Organization

That is the global average and that includes the dubious Chinese numbers and the good Korean ones AND ASYMPTOMATIC cases, you do understand that, right?

You live in the US, the US hasnt done crap regarding prevention or testing, basically you are following Italy's pattern... what makes you think the US is behaving anything like Korea in this case to pretend is going to reach Korea's numbers?

The real mortality rate is very likely to be low, that is a given, because the REAL number includes asymptomatic cases, and since those are the bulk the mortality rate is expected to be low.

BUT, since this is HIGHLY contagious to the point 60-70% of the population is expected to get it eventhough they WONT show symptoms, well...

US 330'000.000*65%=214'000.000 people infected

214'000.000*1.4%=3'000.000 dead

Now you can go back to being scared of Muslims and Mexicans.

Last edited:
Marcel, you had me for a bit with that name. Here in the US it is called Acetaminophen or under the brand name TYLENOL. Got to be very careful about overdosing as it has some very negative affects on the liver.
Yeah, but not as much as both Ibuprofen (iso-butyl-propanoic-phenylic acid) and aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). Of course any medicine will give you extra health problems if you take too much.

Already job losses in the UK.
My gym has closed.
School is about to close.
Crazy.
If the school closed then game over for me. And if it closed for months then all bad.

I always believed that western civilization can end in a few days. So looks like it's on.

Italy report, 5 p.m. today
deaths 2,503, sicks cumulative 31,506, recoveries 2,941, tests 148,657
lethality rate 7.94%

Yeah, but not as much as both Ibuprofen (iso-butyl-propanoic-phenylic acid) and aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid). Of course any medicine will give you extra health problems if you take too much.
The UK are now advising against Ibuprofen for Coronavirus symptoms.

In Canada at the moment

• Ontario: 177 confirmed cases, including five cases listed as resolved.
  • British Columbia: 103 confirmed, including four deaths and five cases listed as resolved.
  • Alberta: 74 confirmed.
  • Quebec: 50 confirmed.
  • Saskatchewan: five presumptive, two confirmed.
  • New Brunswick: five presumptive, two confirmed.
  • Manitoba: seven confirmed, one presumptive.
  • Canadians quarantined at CFB Trenton: eight confirmed.
  • Nova Scotia: four presumptive, one confirmed.
  • Prince Edward Island: one confirmed.
  • Newfoundland and Labrador: one presumptive.
The four deaths in B.C. all occurred in the same health care facility and now there is a possibility of one death in Ontario

unlucky this is not a news, already from China came news you can get it again but there were some hope in test wrong
For whatever its worth ive heard 3 health care professionals, including one of the Chinese doctors who were on this early on say that it appears a small percentage of the population( one of them said about 2%) doesn't make sufficient antibodies the first time around and can get it again.
I guess thats better than everyone getting it a 2nd time. Hopefully those people, if they do get it again, will make sufficient antibodies the 2nd time around.

Beyond the medical effects of the virus France yesterday and UK today made unprecedented commitments to spending, hope it works.

Any information about the average age of those who died?

Joe, IMHO that age would be/is very misleading as are almost all the stats on this disease. Let's begin with the median & mean age. Any median and mean taken from this skewed curve is essentially useless as the are going to be far far apart. In general older sicker males with preexisting conditions are much more likely to die than their younger healthier females and males for that matter.

The biggest problem and the factor that skews these stats into "best guess" territory is the vast number of unreported mild and asymptomatic cases. Consider a study by the Imperial College of London:

Assuming the number of people who have reportedly died from COVID-19 is reasonably accurate, then the percentage of infected people who die from the disease must have been much lower than the 2–3% estimates commonly reported. That is because the number of infected people is much larger than the number tested and reported. Most people infected by COVID-19 are never counted as being infected. That is because, the Imperial College study explains, "the bottom of the pyramid represents the likeliest largest population of those infected with either mild, non‐specific symptoms or who are asymptomatic." So as you can see, even here more guess work.

The Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom, stated in his February 28 briefing, "Most people will have a mild disease and get better without needing any special care." Several studies have found that about 80% of all the COVID-19 cases have relatively minor symptoms which end without severe illness and therefore remain unreported and thus are not part of any statistical study.

Mike, appreciate all the data you cut and pasted but I was asking Vincenzo about Italy (where he lives). I am well aware of how there are a lot of unknowns and skewed statistics. but one thing we do know - the ages of those who died!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread