Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
20200319_000153.jpg

Supermarkets in the UK look like a swarm of locusts has passed through.

The issue is that the morons who started the panic buying have had the effect of making perfectly reasonable people also buy up some essentials, maybe not in the quantities of the panic buyers, but if reasonable people start buying, say, a dozen eggs rather than their usual half-dozen the shelves are soon bare.

I refuse to get drawn in to it, I never liked Supermarket Sweep. To be fair many others are equally sensible.

I don't give a monkey's about stocking up on pasta and tins of stuff I would never normally eat and we are buying the staples normally when we find them (we need some bread today!).

The Army has apparently put 20,000 troops on standby, to do essential stuff like transport oxygen, help with hospitals, ultimately they may work with the police (I bet they will not be armed in that role) etc., but the way some people are talking you'd think there will be tanks on the streets like some banana republic having another coup. It's f*ckin' ridiculous.

We now have some real data from the town of Vo in Italy.

The town's 3,300 citizens were subject to an experiment in the containment of the virus. Crucially, every single one was tested. The result?

Professor Crisanti who managed the trial warned that that for every patient that shows symptoms for COVID-19 there were about 10 who don't.

That is not people showing mild symptoms, a cough, or running a temperature, that is people who are asymptomatic, exhibiting no symptoms at all.

This raises a serious issue which the professor himself acknowledged.

"It is clear that you cannot test all Italians - but you can test people close to those who are asymptomatic. We must use asymptomatic cases as an alarm bell to widen our action."

At the same time, WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said.

"All countries should be able to test all suspected cases. They cannot fight this pandemic blindfolded."

The dilemma is obvious, no country can test everybody, if it can't be done in developed countries with sophisticated health care systems (like Italy) it certainly can't be done in other countries around the globe, and yet as many as 90% of infected people show no symptoms by which they can be identified as a suspected case.

We now have some real data from the town of Vo in Italy.

The town's 3,300 citizens were subject to an experiment in the containment of the virus. Crucially, every single one was tested. The result?

Professor Crisanti who managed the trial warned that that for every patient that shows symptoms for COVID-19 there were about 10 who don't.

That is not people showing mild symptoms, a cough, or running a temperature, that is people who are asymptomatic, exhibiting no symptoms at all.

actually this is write in Financial Times article
"
The first testing round, carried out on the town's entire population in late February, found 3 per cent of the population infected, though half of the carriers had no symptoms. After isolating all those infected, the second testing round about 10 days later showed the infection rate had dropped to 0.3 per cent. Importantly, however, this second round identified at least six individuals who had the virus but no symptoms, meaning they could be quarantined. "If they hadn't been identified, the infection would have resumed," explained Prof Crisanti. "

actually this is write in Financial Times article
"
The first testing round, carried out on the town's entire population in late February, found 3 per cent of the population infected, though half of the carriers had no symptoms. After isolating all those infected, the second testing round about 10 days later showed the infection rate had dropped to 0.3 per cent. Importantly, however, this second round identified at least six individuals who had the virus but no symptoms, meaning they could be quarantined. "If they hadn't been identified, the infection would have resumed," explained Prof Crisanti. "
Vincenzo, hope you are staying safe buddy, don't want you catching that virus. Have read some heartbreaking stories coming from Italy.

Information purposes only for perspective....

Attachments

• Corona-V.jpg
    Corona-V.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 32
Several grocery-type stores here open at 6AM for senior citizens only for the first hour. Since they've been stocking since 8PM the previous night the shelves are relatively full and whatever was unstocked one day might be there the next. So far we have been able to get everything with the exception of hand sanitizer. We already have 2 full liters on the storage shelf so that's not a big concern for the present. 46 confirmed cases in the entire state and all are clustered in the Little Rock area. The closest case is 2 counties away (100mi or so).
Down in my workroom I already had P99 and Carbon-layer masks for airbrushing, nitrile gloves in the garage, 93% isoproply alcohol, and Denatured ethanol for painting so we're set on that score. When necessary we sanitize hands; put on gloves and masks; use sanitizing wipes on the shopping cart, get what we want at the store; remove gloves and mask in the car and re-sanitize hands. Frozen foods go into the freezer; cold foods in refrig #1; everything else on a table in the garage. Everything new will sit undisturbed for at least 24 hours before we touch it.
Many Restaurants here are still open. We went out on the 17th for Corned Beef & Cabbage. I saw no one with either a mask or sanitizer and the bar was shoulder to shoulder. All fast food drive-ups are open.
Schools are closed until Apr 1 except that the schools are still providing breakfast and lunch to many students who request them. Delivery is via school bus and Karen volunteered to drive one of the routes. Parents meet the bus and another employee hands out the food. Other than that we're a closed unit
Back in 2007 a massive ice storm knocked out everything here for over two weeks so we learned to become self-sufficient. Our own well for water if necessary, a generator to power the entire house for month (12 on 12 off), 3 freezers kept stocked, 2 refrigerators also with their own freezers, two fireplaces and 3 acres of oak trees for wood. Nearest neighbors are +300m in any direction with lots of trees in between.
Not sure that I can do much more. With age and health issues I'm past the high risk catagory

Pro tip on the toilett paper acquisition. In this area at least all the mom and pop liquor stores are still fully stocked. Every place else including the major convenience store chains has been cleared out like a swarm of hungry locust went through but I guess the hoarders didn't think about the independently owned liquor stores.

I guess I cant really say for sure all are well stocked. I only went to two but its a good indication. They had a couple dozen rolls each. Bought 3 at one store( wanted to leave plenty for others) and picked up two at another. Should last us for a week and change.

We've just reached 28 cases here in New Zealand, with no community transmission - they've all brought it into the country while travelling. And now, due to the arrogance of some travellers refusing to self-isolate for two weeks, the borders are closed, except to NZers coming home (not that there will be many ways of getting here now).

Due to my girlfriend's health (breast cancer), I work two full-time jobs, both of which have shown me much about this situation.

My temp job, working in a grocery store, has exposed me to the worst the public has to offer, in regards to greed, self-centeredness, and overall ugly behavior. Watching people panic or buy with the hopes of flipping a profit on someone's desperation has caused me to lose much respect for the public, in general.

My career, working for local government in water treatment, has given me an insider's view to this situation and the amount of behind the scenes planning. It didn't have to go down like it did, except for the actions of that first wave of people frightening the herd and causing the stampede.

On a brighter note, we just got word that the plant might go on lockdown. Cases of premium freeze-dried meals and MREs have been delivered, my duffle is packed, and look forward to round the clock OT pay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back