Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isolation is the only fight against it we have at the moment.

This is true, but as Adler pointed out, it affects different people differently. In most cases, it is no more severe than a normal 'flu (for specifics, it's a strain of SARS). The reality is that the larger majority of those who will get infected will be so for between 5 days and two weeks, with symptoms and effects similar to more familiar strains of the 'flu. The majority of deaths are from pre-existing conditions, in Italy it is around 99.8% of those who died suffered from pre-existing conditions (you don't die from COVID-19, it's a virus, it affects your immune system and you die of whatever you've got that might kill you).

The big things about this is a) there is no vaccine, and b) it remains alive on surfaces for much longer than known 'flus and transmits through the air in bodily fluids, so spreads real fast. This is why isolation is the best remedy. Bearing all this in mind, I do feel we are all over-reacting big time.

No more using public rest rooms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started my self isolation, i meet the 2nd confirmed of my town Tuesday 10th March, Wednesday 25th March i end it
EDIT the 25th March i will end the first part of my self isolation, after i could be a symptomless so i should do an other 2 weks

Last edited:

Are you sure?

Military trucks taking out to the crematorium the coffins of the deads.

I just spoke to my daughter, the family in question live in Egmond aan Zee. They have been told not to go to crowded places (if they are still open!) but to otherwise carry on as normal. They don't have to stay indoors, they can go shopping or to the beach, which is virtually outside their front door.

Sven's work place has closed because several employees tested positive.

It seems that there are very mixed messages!

well kitchen has been scrubbed, all food suitable has been frozen.

my GM is insisting all staff report for work as normal until end of day monday or they will not be paid, restrictions are for the public not for staff, even though the hotel is empty

had a blazing row with him as that is not what the PM said but have to comply with his wishes for now

Actually it is, the German Government confirmed it. I will save the political discussion for Facebook.
On a somewhat positive note that makes me feel a little better about the government action in this though perhaps not entirely thrilled, read yesterday the company, cure vac( I think I've got the name right), representatives of other companies that were at the conference, and multiple witnesses to the conversation all say this didn't happen.
Could all those people be lying? Eh maybe but put that together with the fact the time line makes this story make no sense and I think we can pretty much rest assured that however comming up short our government response may be, at least that kinda stuff isn't going on.

Last edited:
In LA country they have several thousand cases but fortunately( unless you're one of those people of course) only 3 current hospitalizations and a total of 2 deaths( LA county has one of the yougest average populations and lowest smoking rates in the world by the way). I haven't heard any experts say this but to me its really starting to look like how hard this will be on a country/ area depends on 3 things........ 1. The percentage of the population over 65, 28% of the population in Italy is over 65 that would mean about 35%? of the adult population( an astonishing statistic by the way if true). 2. The percentage of people( especially in that age group) who smoke, have read that like China an inordinately large percentage of the Italian population smokes. And 3. Which of of the two strains of this thing the area or country( one of the two is apparently much more virulent than the other) gets.
Italy, God help them, appears to have gotten the triple whammy here.

Last edited:
The smokers in Italy are under 25% of population

Thanks guys
Thanks for the info. I keep reading that its much higher. You never know the veracity of what you read these days.
Perhaps two and half of the above mentioned factors( 20% of the population smoking is still fairly high, especially is it's mostly as it is here in the LA area mostly older people who smoke. That would mean about 30% of those over 65 smoke).
It wasn't meant to be accusatory. I hope it didn't sound that way. Just an observation that may be useful for people to access what may be headed there way. I am certainly praying for the people of Italy.

Thought I'd post a list of all the things I've read that may be of benefit if one contracts this. All these things seem to have at least marginal efficacy and at least some study to back them up. 1. Zinc 2.Vitamin C 2. Vitamin D 3. Quinine( available in tonic water) has much the same mecular structure and mechanism of action as chloroquine so im making an assumption here( but I think a probable one and can't hurt). 4. Lithium( its a natural mineral everyone consumes in there diet, about 1 to 3 miligrams a day which is about 100th the dose given to people with depression) its available in 5 miligram supplements.
And for Gods sake if you smoke now is a great time to quit, at least for the time being. The drummer for my band just did and if he can anybody can. He was like 2 packs a day. Just bought a skid of nicotine gum and hes doin fine.
Hope this helps.

( 20% of the population smoking is still fairly high,

Last figures I found gave smoking rates of 17.25% for the US and 24.00% for Italy. Perhaps this is not as large a difference as you suspected? I have certainly never had the impression that an inordinate number of people in Italy smoke.

In Europe, the UK weighs in at 19.15%, Sweden at 20.60% compared with, for examples, Greece at 42.65%, Spain at 29.20%. The Dutch let the northerners down a bit with 25.05% and Jacques and Francoise still love a gasper, with a rate of 27.70%. As for Hans and Gretel, 30.35%. You'd think that the Germans would know better.

The smoking rate in China is 24.70%, remarkably similar to Italy and both are fairly close to average, certainly not high.

Then there are all the 'vapers' who imagine that their lungs are unaffected by the inhalation of steam and other products of the e-cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread