Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
restrictions are for the public not for staff,
All men are equal - except - some are more equal than others.
Same with the school here. Kids are gone but some staff are required to come back this Monday. Contracted employees get paid but are supposedly required to put in their contracted hours. Teachers are to report to clean/sanitize their individual rooms, janitorial staff cleaning/sanitizing hallways/common rooms, bus drivers clean/sanitize their bus while some drivers transport breakfast & lunch foods to students/parents on assistance as they term it here.
Natch the big cheeses don't show and still get paid....See above trueism

Last figures I found gave smoking rates of 17.25% for the US and 24.00% for Italy. Perhaps this is not as large a difference as you suspected? I have certainly never had the impression that an inordinate number of people in Italy smoke.

In Europe, the UK weighs in at 19.15%, Sweden at 20.60% compared with, for examples, Greece at 42.65%, Spain at 29.20%. The Dutch let the northerners down a bit with 25.05% and Jacques and Francoise still love a gasper, with a rate of 27.70%. As for Hans and Gretel, 30.35%. You'd think that the Germans would know better.

The smoking rate in China is 24.70%, remarkably similar to Italy and both are fairly close to average, certainly not high.

Then there are all the 'vapers' who imagine that their lungs are unaffected by the inhalation of steam and other products of the e-cigarettes.
Ive read repeatedly that 70% of the men in China smoke. Not trying to argue. Just throwing that out there. That's what I've read and heard in the media. I of course can't verify that.
In the US the LA area has almost no deaths from this( one of the lowest smoking rates in the country) and New York, where everyone smokes is having about one death per hour. Again what I just read about 1 hour ago. Certainly welcome conflicting stats.
The point being if you smoke now would be a great time to quit. Every expert ive heard without one exception says its one of the main determining factors in the fatality incidents of this. Not trying to proselytize. Just hope this can help.
In some of the country's you listed this is just getting rolling so well have to wait to see how big a factor the incidence of smoking is on a national level.
I may indeed be full of hot air here but it doesn't look that way so far and one things for sure, quiting smoking certainly isn't going to hurt your chances.

So were back open on Monday, different hotels doing different things, some open as normal, some just doing residents, some room service only some closed.

I dont see any difference between a restaurant and bar and a hotel restaurant and bar but hey, what do i know ?

Italy report, 5 p.m. today
deaths 4,825, sicks cumulative 53,578, recoveries 6,072, tests 233,222
fatality rate 9%
mortality rate 80 per million

The UK Has about one tenth that level of cases. It will soon rocket as we are following a very similar path to Italy.

5,013 cases and 72,818 tested.

233 dead, which is about 4.6% of CONFIRMED cases. The youngest is a man in his forties who was terminally ill with motor neurone disease (it's no easier for his family, but he was given two years to live two years ago).

The Chief Medical Officer seems to be sticking to his guns for his estimation of the overall mortality rate at less than 1%.

My two friends in Germany who tested positive have been keeping me updated. One has pretty severe symptoms, but is not requiring hospitalization. The other never developed symptoms at all, other than slightly higher temperature, which has since gone away. Just shows you how it affects people differently.
Best wishes to best of them.

Bearing all this in mind, I do feel we are all over-reacting big time.
I think Italy proves that we are not. I see it happening here as well, the medical system is gradually overflowing in the south. Amount of patients in ICU grows more every day and way faster than during the normal flu. We expect a peak next week, so we'll see how we hold out.

I guess I had an anxious episode the other night.
All this kinda gets to me, it's a bit overwhelming when an old fart ventures out to shop.
Just could not sleep. Up from 6am Friday, and finally crashed and burned at 10am Sat.
Being retired, and a home body, I am making it a rule to Not go off my home grounds but once a week.
Nearly 77, and so many going down, just trying to Not think about it, but not forgetting it.
Annie teaches 2nd grade, schools have Not closed as of yet. But some students have been absent for a week.
Stay safe guys.

I guess I had an anxious episode the other night.
All this kinda gets to me, it's a bit overwhelming when an old fart ventures out to shop.
Just could not sleep. Up from 6am Friday, and finally crashed and burned at 10am Sat.
Being retired, and a home body, I am making it a rule to Not go off my home grounds but once a week.
Nearly 77, and so many going down, just trying to Not think about it, but not forgetting it.
Annie teaches 2nd grade, schools have Not closed as of yet. But some students have been absent for a week.
Stay safe guys.
You too! Not sleeping well? Doesn't help. Sorry to nag at ya', but......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back