Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is testing the numbers they should.

People need to start listening to the REAL EXPERTS, business cannot be ready by Easter in our country. Doing that will only send more to their deaths.
In UK our press and media quite obviously don't listen to the experts they are asking questions and we have former Prime Ministers weighing in who obviously havnt listened to anything for months. Its hard to figure out what the situation is and the media are zero help at all.

In UK our press and media quite obviously don't listen to the experts they are asking questions and we have former Prime Ministers weighing in who obviously havnt listened to anything for months. Its hard to figure out what the situation is and the media are zero help at all.

Par for the course I see.

Watching the government update every day, it looks to me at least the media are now starting to turn against the government.

questions are now more about " should we have done x, y or z sooner" etc, expecting things can just be plucked out of thin air and be in exactly the right place at the right time, like no one else in the world is trying to get their hands on the same products

Watching the government update every day, it looks to me at least the media are now starting to turn against the government.

questions are now more about " should we have done x, y or z sooner" etc, expecting things can just be plucked out of thin air and be in exactly the right place at the right time, like no one else in the world is trying to get their hands on the same products
What I see is people turning against the media. Today the BBC asked "what will next week look like" what sort of idiotic question is that? They seem incapable of acting like grown ups in a serious situation.

Same here, but many think that is fake news too.

Two publications in Soviet times: Izvestia and Pravda. The names mean "news" and "truth" respectively.
The saying among Soviets: "There is no izvestia in Izvestia, there is no pravda in Pravda".
Meaning: it's all politically motivated propaganda with a few facts stirred in to make it look/read different from Yesterday's propaganda.
It seems to me this has become a global pandemic, infecting most (all?) "news" publications.

Actually i think was: there is no pravda in Izvestia and there is not izvestia in Pravda, В «Правде» нет известий, в «Известиях» нет правды
if was actually in use in Soviet Union idk

I don't think of it as fake news, but I also don't trust something that appears to me of being sensationalized.

Worldwide, the total number of positive cases of this has finally exceeded the upper range of estimated deaths (and deaths alone) from the flu this season. In the US alone, flu has required 400,000 to 730,000 to be hospitalized with 18,000,000 to 26,000,000 Dr's visits and 24,000 to 62,000 deaths (from CDC).

Worldwide 1 billion people have contracted the flu with 291,000 to 646,000 deaths. (I could not find total stats on hospitalization).

As of today there are 718,685 confirmed cases of Covid-19, most of which are of people that can recover at home. Of these there have been 33,881 deaths.

We going all out to stop Covid-19 (a novel virus) while we ignore the 800 lb gorilla in the room (that our systems have been fighting off for years and is still kicking our arse). 291,000 to 646,000 have died and 1,000,000+ have been hospitalized and we don't bat an eyelash but this comes along and early on the world goes crazy. Personally, I am far more concerned about Ebola of which some strains have a 90% death rate.

Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates
Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Actually i think was: there is no pravda in Izvestia and there is not izvestia in Pravda, В «Правде» нет известий, в «Известиях» нет правды
if was actually in use in Soviet Union idk
It seems you're right. Either way, it's a telling comment.
There is no truth in the news and no news in the truth from Planck's Constant
Roaring Youth Of America Today Need Rapid Defense Against Liberal Lies And Deceit Before All Is Lost
There is no Pravda in Izvestia
Izvestia at 100: A Russian Century Through the Lens of the Top Soviet Newspaper (halfway down the long page).

I don't think of it as fake news, but I also don't trust something that appears to me of being sensationalized.

Worldwide, the total number of positive cases of this has finally exceeded the upper range of estimated deaths (and deaths alone) from the flu this season. In the US alone, flu has required 400,000 to 730,000 to be hospitalized with 18,000,000 to 26,000,000 Dr's visits and 24,000 to 62,000 deaths (from CDC).

Worldwide 1 billion people have contracted the flu with 291,000 to 646,000 deaths. (I could not find total stats on hospitalization).

As of today there are 718,685 confirmed cases of Covid-19, most of which are of people that can recover at home. Of these there have been 33,881 deaths.

We going all out to stop Covid-19 (a novel virus) while we ignore the 800 lb gorilla in the room (that our systems have been fighting off for years and is still kicking our arse). 291,000 to 646,000 have died and 1,000,000+ have been hospitalized and we don't bat an eyelash but this comes along and early on the world goes crazy. Personally, I am far more concerned about Ebola of which some strains have a 90% death rate.

Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates
Coronavirus Disease 2019 vs. the Flu

Except all the medical experts disagree with you. They repeatedly are saying this is nothing like the flu. They are saying it spreads easier, that since it is a novel virus we have no resistance to it (unlike the flu), and that the fatality rate is higher than flu.

People like Dr. Fauci (I get it, he is the big bad man now because he doesn't bow down to others and repeat what they are supposed to say like a good lil minion), have stated that up 200,000 Americans will die from the virus this year if we do start taking this serious.

Fauci: Coronavirus could hit millions; Trump considers guidelines

Look I get it. I too thought this was nothing but another flu type event. The panic and the hoarding need to stop. People simply need to stay home and stop being vectors for the virus. Nut just because whatever flavor of news media you enjoy, or whatever flavor or leadership you care for disagrees with it for whatever reason that may be, its not the flu, and it needs to be taken serious.

Our medical professionals out there are telling us they are about to break. Why is it so hard to believe them? Once they break, death rates will rise because the people cannot be helped because the resources are not there. Gnomey Gnomey is that an inaccurate thing to say?

Last edited:
AIUI anybody who gets the flu didn't have immunity to that strain.
YES I think the Chinese Coronavirus AND "COVID-19" are overhyped, possibly for political ambitions; nevertheless this plague worries me on a few points:
1: Novelty: Influenza is all over the world. People talk about "flu season", but "flu season" in the world is like "Vodka Season" in Russia. (starts 1/1, runs to end of year). COVID-19 started in ONE point, and is world-wide now. In the next years, when Chinese Coronavirus (CCV) is not novel, it'll start in multiple places like Flu does, with slightly different strains here vs there. There will be vaccines for both, they will have varying effectiveness. This is a bit scary in its own right.
2: Communicability: CCV is much more efficient at propagating to new hosts than Influenza is. R-Nought for flu is like 1.3, for CCV is like 3. The effect of this is that in the time it takes influenza to go from 1 person to 14, CCV goes from 1 to 59,000. In the coming years, when there are multiple strains of CCV erupting from multiple locations, this could be quite damaging to nations and economies.
3: Lethality: Influenza appears to be lethal in .1% of cases, CCV appears to be lethal in 3% of cases averaged out. We don't really know this because China lies about its case load, Italy has some unusual characteristics (advanced age of society, greater incidence of underlying lung problems from smoking, intense import of infections from China to textile industries in Lombard region, etc), and the disease is too damned new to really boil the lethality down as we have with Influenza.
4: Virulence: the 1918-1920 Influenza plague could kill in a few hours. Modern Influenza kills (generally) in a few days. CCV kills rapidly, but it is too new to be certain if it is a few hours, a few handfuls of hours, or a few days. Current impression: if it kills it does so quickly, in hours.
5: Repeatability (I got it once but I'll get it again): Too little is known here for me to guess. Influenza mutates so rapidly that if you get this year's version, you'll be immune next year just from having it this year. However, next year will bring you at least one "new" strain you're not immune to. With CCV, it's too new to tell.
6: Side effects: Permanent lung damage? More susceptible in the future? Dunno.

I don't want to hype for panic's sake, but the enemy is deadly, and we don't have much to use against it.

Gnomey, please correct my Layman's Misunderstandings if you would please.

In California, the Governor is ordering the release of inmates from state and county prisons and has pardoned some pretty hard-core felons.
His explanations seem to vary, but supposedly it's to make room for "infected inmates", which doesn't makes much sense.

So that's not helping an already frightened public...
Dave, You have to remember that Newsom is a San Fransisco idiot. The new name is Crimafornia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back