Coronavirus Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add I'm not at home on my computer and I don't have much time to do much fact checking as I'm working overtime and trying to get some domestic responsibilities fulfilled so my apologies for any misunderstanding.

A couple of errors that a person who remembers high school biology (I don't) should be able to catch.
  1. Neither DNA nor RNA are proteins.
  2. Viruses usually don't have a lipid coat (some do; see Molecular Expressions Cell Biology: Virus Structure), but they will usually have a protein coat, and all that have a lipid coat will have it on top of a protein coat.
As an aside, a noroviruses, among other viruses, aren't degraded by alcohol. Soap tends to be a better option, as vigorous hand washing will physically remove micro-organisms from the skin.

Perhaps this is information this group does not need: Wild Turky 151 whiskey is 75% alcohol. It kills conversations, marriages, gunnery skills, and maybe also viruses and other things.
(I've been informed: Wild Turkey max strength is 101; bacardi rum is gets to 151. I consider this evidence that I don't drink!)

Last edited:
Italy report 5 p.m. (CEST) today
cases 115,242, new 4,668, deaths 13,915, new 760, recovered 18,278, new 1,431, tests 581,232, new 39,809
fatality rate 12.1%
mortality rate 231 per million
test rate 9.6 per thousand

Worldwide go over 1 million cases, 50 thousands deaths and 210 thousands recovered

Last edited:
I have just come home to a letter from the NHS warning me that with my back history I have been identified as being at very high risk should I catch the virus. As a result I am grounded for 12 weeks under strict conditions no face to face at all with anyone apart from my wife. No leaving the house, only medical personnel can see me, must work at home, you get the picture.

The somewhat ironic thing is that physically I am probably better now than at any time over the last 10 - 15 years. Down 55 pounds, blood pressure well within bounds and blood sugar readings below the level of that which define diabetes.

It's a nasty virus this. I used to be a counsellor in a Inner City London hospital where my clients were the doctors, nurses and other front line medical personnel. Talking to my ex colleagues over the weekend, the pressure they are under supporting their clients is almost frightening.

This could drive you to drink, but you're not allowed to drive!
Stay well, videochat with your councelees. They may need some gratis support such as you've given; patients and their families are likely also in need.

Everclear is 190 proof or 95% ethanol why fiddle with the piddly stuff. Now if you really want to go for the GUSTO....there is 200 proof absolute alcohol....
SKAL....PROOST....Na zdrowie

View attachment 575870
Danger Will Robinson!
Ingesting anything like Everclear 190 proof or pure ethanol can tempt you to shoot at revenuers, and miss!

ArcGIS Dashboards
World wide Corona-19 cases are over 1 million yup 1,011,490 as of 4/2. 238,820 in the USofA

Some perspective (which I lack rather frequently) 1 million infections is 1/7800 of the world population, and 1/331 (.03%) of the US population (not including penguins, who don't matter).
US deaths so far is less than deaths from "regular flu" over the same time period. (rough guesstimate is 40,000 dead of "regular flu" since 1 Oct 2019 vs 5850 deaths from CCV)
I wonder what would happen if we responded to "regular flu" this way.

40,000 are statistical deaths or actually tested for seasonal flu that die?
in Italy the last season 2018/9, we get 205 deaths tested positive to flu

Having listened to the UK government advisors today trying to cope with the idiots in the press creche I conclude that there are almost no "facts" in this at the moment, there is a lot of information and even more statistics, but, for instance no woman has yet carried a baby full term, start to finish in a CV-19 environment. There is all sorts of "stuff" like that.

Someone should explain to them that female humans need 9 months...
Well we all know that I hope but anyone who claims any treatment vaccine or even just stats about the effects is ignoring that simple "thing". Thalidomide only affected the embryo in a very specific time in gestation, and while so far no evidence of transmission across the placenta exists there is very little actual evidence to go on outside of China.

Looks like about 4.5%.

Perhaps this is information this group does not need: Wild Turky 151 whiskey is 75% alcohol. It kills conversations, marriages, gunnery skills, and maybe also viruses and other things.
Wild Turkey 101 is 50.5% alcohol by volume.
Bacardi 151 was 75.5% alcohol by volume.

And Wild Turkey is a Kentucky Bourbon.

Hey TheMadPenguin,

For the normal influenza season, ~40,000 deaths (averaged estimated) out of ~46,000,000 infected (averaged estimate) results in only .09% fatality rate (rounded up). Note that this is not slightly less than 1% at .9%, but slightly less than 1/10 of 1%. If the fatality rate was 1% the number of deaths for the the same ~46,000,000 infected would be 460,000, not 40,000.

(Hey Vincenzo, see: "Preliminary In-Season 2019-2020 Flu Burden Estimates" for the US flu season estimates)

This is one reason why COVID-19 is rather alarming. If the US ends up with a similar number of people (ie ~46,000,000) infected by COVID-19, using the current US fatality rate of ~2.4%, there will be ~1,112,000 deaths. If the US fatality rate eventually equals that of Italy at 12.1%, the total number of dead will be ~5,566,000. If the current measures being taken in the US do not get a handle on the spread of COVID-19, the infection rate and consequent number of deaths will be even higher.

Minnesota report, April 2
cases 742, recovered 373, hospitalized 138, deaths 18, tested 22,394*
fatality rate 2.4%
mortality rate 3.2 per million
tests rate 3.9 per thousand
*Test kits are in short supply, and are currently being used only for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel.
(Note that the first confirmed case of COVID-19 in Minnesota occurred March 6. "Social Distancing" order with all schools, bars, and restaurants closed began March 18. "Shelter In Place" order with all "non-essential" business and services closed began midnight of March 27.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread