Coronavirus Thread (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hydroxychloroquine has shown no benefit in most recent trial data.

It's so good because it's so close to the truth

Thanks for the clarification.

Hydroxychloroquine has shown no benefit in most recent trial data.
On the bright side it's not as instantly lethal as aquarium cleaner...

One could muse on the wisdom of uninformed leaders going on national TV to speculate on untested and unproven home brew remedies.

There's probably a joke to be had there involving Pearls of Wisdom, swine and White House briefings, but would likely violate the "No Politics" rule.

Minnesota report, April 25
cases 3,446, recovered 1,654, hospitalized 797, deaths 244**, tested 56,597*
fatality rate 7.1%
mortality rate 42.8 per million
tests rate 9.9 per thousand*
*Test kits are still in short supply, however, at the current time test kit processing is limited more by lack of materials (primarily reagents). Current testing primarily reflects use for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel. However, use is increasing in non-hospital facilities where COVID-19 cases have occurred (nursing homes, meat packing plants, etc) in order to determine if a facility needs to be closed or can continue in operation.
**Approximately 75% of Minnesota COVID-19 deaths are from cases originating in nursing homes and assisted care facilities. As of today, the youngest person to die was 50 years old, the oldest was 109, with a median of 83.

Have a friend who works in a DIY/hardware store that just reopened, she has to wear plastic visor to protect her its company policy.

She's been abused several times by customers, main theme is she should be ashamed that she's using vital ppe that could be used by the NHS !

Are these people real ?
If they stayed at home and didnt go out to browse through the shops because they are bored, she wouldn't need to work wearing a plastic visor !

I despair of humanity at times.

Italy report, 5 pm CEST 26th April
cases 197,675, +2,324, deaths 26,644, +260, recovered 64,928, +1,808, active cases 106,103, +255, after six days of go down, go back up, tests 1,757,659, +49,916
fatality rate 13.5%
mortality rate 442 per million
test rate 29.1 per thousand
positive rate 11.2%
test rate today 828 per million
positive rate today 4.7%

Look at that! Numbers coming down. I happy for you all in Italy that the worst appears to be behind you now.

God knows you all were being hit really hard, until the US said "Hold my Bud Lite!"

Minnesota report, April 26
cases 3,602***, recovered 1,774, hospitalized 829, deaths 272**/***, tested 58,987*/***
fatality rate 7.6%
mortality rate 47.7 per million
test rate 10.3 per thousand*
*Although Test kits and reagents are still in short supply, the primary cause of the still relatively low numbers of tests is due to a combination of factors including logistics and training times. Current testing primarily reflects use for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel. However, use is increasing in non-hospital facilities where COVID-19 cases have occurred (nursing homes, meat packing plants, etc) in order to determine if a facility needs to be closed or can continue in operation. Access to testing (in limited numbers) for the general population is scheduled to begin in 2 weeks.
**Approximately 75% of Minnesota COVID-19 deaths are from cases originating in nursing homes and assisted care facilities. As of today, the youngest person to die was 44 years old, the oldest was 109.
***Although the health measures used by Minnesota have reduced the rate of spread significantly, our rate of spread (reflected by the 'curve') is still increasing. This is true regardless of whether the controlling factor used is confirmed cases, test rate, or death rate.

Last edited:
**Approximately 75% of Minnesota COVID-19 deaths are from cases originating in nursing homes and assisted care facilities. As of today, the youngest person to die was 44 years old, the oldest was 109.

Same here in Croatia. Out of 50 deaths, 10 were people located in single nursing home for the elderly, so were a number of others.
BTW, seems like we're weathering the storm here, last 7 days there was average of about 20 new cases (people tested positive) per day.

Italy report, 5 pm CEST 27th April
cases 199,914, +1,739, deaths 26,977, +333, recovered 66,624, +1,696, active cases 105,813, -290, tests 1,789,662, +32,093
fatality rate 13.5%
mortality rate 447 per million
test rate 29.7 per thousand
positive rate 11.2%
test rate today 532 per million
positive rate today 5.4%

Minnesota report, April 27
cases 3,816***, recovered 1,842, hospitalized 861, deaths 286**/***, tested 61,268*/***
fatality rate 7.5%
mortality rate 50.2 per million
test rate 10.7 per thousand*
*Test kits and reagents are becoming more available, there are currently more available than needed to meet the demands of testing for suspected COVID-19 cases and first responder/healthcare/medical personnel.
***Although the measures used by Minnesota have reduced the rate of spread significantly, our rate of spread (reflected by the 'curve') is still increasing. This is true regardless of whether the controlling factor used is confirmed cases, test rate, or death rate.

Addition to Minnesota report, April 27

Minnesota now has the lab capacity to process ~8,000 tests/day, but is completing only ~2,300 tests/day. The current stumbling block is the logistics of getting the tests and materials to and from the test locations and processing facilities. The short-term goal is ~5,000 completed tests/day by mid-May.

However, the demand for testing is increasing in rural areas where COVID-19 outbreaks have occurred (nursing homes, meat packing plants, etc) in order to determine if a facility needs to be closed or can continue in operation. Due to the serious outbreaks in the communities where these sites are located, there is still a shortfall in overall testing.

Most of the recent increase in rate is due to serious outbreaks in more rural communities, where COVID-19 has been transported over the last 3 weeks. A significant part of the increase in cases is due to people refusing to stay at home - going to summer cabins/homes, 'visiting friends' in rural communities, students returning home, etc - figuring that they would go someplace where they were less likely to be exposed to the virus, but carrying the virus with them to areas that were previously COVID-19 free.

How have people become so stupid? I know, when it comes to alacrity at math and foreign language, I'm pretty lousy, but I'd have thought almost anybody would know that injecting disinfectants into their veins would be suicidal.

How have people become so stupid? I know, when it comes to alacrity at math and foreign language, I'm pretty lousy, but I'd have thought almost anybody would know that injecting disinfectants into their veins would be suicidal.
It must be a cultural thing between nations, in UK people don't randomly inject themselves with stuff, even a nurse isn't authorised to decide what a patient is given.

I am going to make a suggestion on Covid-19 despite lacking any medical qualifications. I noticed an extensive discussion in the British media that people of Black and Asian origin seemed more susceptible to Covid-19 than White people of similar socio-economic status. I also noted that it is the end of the British Winter and that people with black skins may be suffering from a slight deficiency of vitamin D. I have found a few articles such as Vitamin D and the Immune System mentioning that vitamin D has a role in the immune system. Thus I have started taking vitamin D supplements. Am I deluded?

BBC still banging on about PPE, reporter Hugh Pim today shamelessly used his question to plug a BBC Panorama programme about ppe shortages that was on last night.

Health Secretary answered with " i saw the programme and I'm not sure that was a fair and unbiased piece of journalism !"

Italy report. 5 pm CEST, 28th April
cases 201,505, +2,091, deaths 27,359, +382, recovered 68,941, +2,317, active cases 105,205, -608, test 1,846,934, +57,272
fatality rate 13.6%
mortality rate 454 per million
test rate 30.6 per thousand
positive rate 10.9%
test rate today 950 per million
positive rate today 3.7%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread