CORSAIR F4U-4; 1/48, Revell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I also thought so Robert, is likely to also use "salvo rockets", although there would also be real and likely with less explosive charge.
It is very worth your comment that they had a special color those rockets for practices ...

Very interesting and thanks again.

Also, just because the aircraft carried the mounts doesn't necessarily mean that rockets were actually carried. These could be left over from the service days.

Sure. Also these HAVRs weren't attached there all the time. These could be attached if a flight , to the shooting area was planed for instance. So there is no rule.
Comments to take into account Andy and Wojtek, it would be interesting to find some picture of the time, with this training squadron and mounted rockets.
We have time to reach that instance in my process; Which will give us an opportunity to have a more concrete response.

Interesting chat is being developed here. Learning is continuous ... Gracias por todo

It seems during this period they used 2.25 inch sub-calibre aircraft rockets (SCAR) for training and the first time a pilot would have experience with a HVAR would be in combat.

Operational history
Following development, SCAR entered full-scale production in January 1945; by July, fully half of the U.S. Navy's rocket production for aircraft use consisted of SCAR rockets.[2] SCAR was widely used during the latter part of World War II as a training round for the FFAR and, later, the High Velocity Aircraft Rocket.[1]

Following the end of the war, it remained in production, continuing in operational service throughout the 1950s.[3] Budget cutbacks prior to the outbreak of the Korean War meant that the SCAR was the only rocket used in training by the majority of pilots.[4]

Despite its small size, SCAR could be hazardous; in 1957, an injury aboard the aircraft carrier USS Kearsarge was caused by the unintended ignition of a SCAR rocket.[5] As recently as 2004, expended SCAR rockets were still occasionally being found in areas that had been used as bombing ranges during World War II.[6]

References
Citations

1. Parsch 2004
  2. Pearson 1995, p.33.
  3. Aviation Ordnanceman 3&2, Volume 1. U.S. Navy Bureau of Naval Personnel 1955, p.194.
  4. Stewart 1957, p.108.
  5. Douda 2009, p.31.
  6. "SAFETY - Former Trabuco Bombing Range". U.S Army Corps of Engineers/Innovative Technical Solutions, Inc. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
SCARs were smaller than a 5 inch HVAR (although apparently could be configured to resemble one) and appear to have been painted an overall grey. They were attached to existing rocket pylons using a special adapter. Compare the pictures below to the HVAR pictures Wojtek has posted above.

So Luis, if the kit rockets are 5 inch HVARs I don't think they're going to be appropriate for a trainer aircraft, although you could still have the pylons as per the B&W photo above. That final photo you have of a trainer in post #94 looks as though it could be carrying SCARs...

Last edited:
What interesting information, my dear Kirby.
I do not have the kit on hand, but I'm sure they are HVARs; I will have to trim them and modify the tip to turn them into SCARs painted gray.
It is very grateful information, with which I can assemble the appropriate rockets for the training plane.
Today I learned something new and will be reflected in our Corsair.

Gracias a todos por la información.

Great approach, your thinning will be interesting to see. Are you going to do it by hand with a sander, or use a dremel? If the latter can you show the bit/tool you are using?
With reference to your question, in the photos of my post # 63, I thinned the floodgates of the wheel / hook bay, with the Dremel.

It's a photo of the mototool with the tungsten tips I have.

For these details at the ends, I did it with jeweler's files (it allows me to have more control in the process of going thinning of the plastic).
The files 1 and 2 are one flat face and the other face is convex, file 3 is more expensive but of excellent quality and the two faces are convex, with different degrees of convection each side. (I hope I have spelled it correctly)

... more shots ...

It will be a matter of smoothing once the fuselage is bonded with glue, and then retouch with paint as necessary.
I hope you like them.

In my free time I have been gradually marking and making the strokes of the fuselage and wings with the lines of rivets.
I hope I have the photos once I finish.
It is a stage of patience and doing it well, to avoid setbacks if possible, so I have dedicated relatively short moments not to lose sanity ... hahaha

We keep in touch fellows.

Saludos

Very nicely done! I have some similar files as well. Something you might consider in the future, Dremels tend to operate at a fairly high minimum speed which can cause control issues. I have a Dremel and still use it for some tasks, but I also acquired a Proxxon 50E unit which uses all the same tools as a Dremel but allows for much more fine control with the speed. I have found that the tool is lighter and easier to control for fine detail work. It can also be used with a flexible shaft like the Dremel.

Very interesting proposal Robert.
I am really happy with the Dremel brand's accessories and the great variety of utensils. I started to buy them now that I resumed this hobby and I have used them in many other works and composures here at home.

As you mentioned, a disadvantage is the minimum speed, which is still very high for certain jobs that we require in our planes and models.
I also saw that there are similar options whose velocity control starts from "zero".
Very interesting to consider the Proxxon 50E and continue in the improvement of accessories and tools to facilitate and continue to enjoy this I love.

Thanks for sharing.
Saludos

Something like that I had seen somewhere, but not Dremel.
They are very good news also to review, check prices and conditions.
Thank you very much for the information George.

Greetings and excellent weekend.

.... I began to draw with pencil the blocks with the sides of the fuselage ...

... and I decided (at least until now) to just add the rivets to three of the zones ... (avoiding the risk of error or overloading it)

The photo does not help much, so I marked the zones. If it deserves it will be a better shot.

As I began to check the wing pieces, I realized that I am going to entertain a little more, because I have to clean very well some details before starting with the rivets.

That square hole in the top of each wing, I should cover (it is part of the mechanism to fold the wing that includes the kit - very rudimentary - and I will not use it because the wings will be extended).

... and it is the way that I came up with to fill them.

Tomorrow that the mastic has dried, I can see the result, do what is required to leave these repairs well and continue with the riveting of the wings.

Hasta otro día amigos. Saludos

Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread