Customer service and not .....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

kgambit

Tech Sergeant
May 29, 2006
North Carolina
Three examples of how some folks take their customer service seriously and others ... well you be the judge.

Case 1: Eduard - Damaged PE

I had purchased a set of colored PE parts for one of my He 111 kits. The set had a miscast piece, a misregistered color overlay and one piece was totally missing. I contact Eduard on September 10th and on the 17th after a brief e-mail exchange, was told that Eduard would be sending a replacement set, free of charge no less. The replacement set arrived today (October 2).

Case 2: Hannants - Damaged Resin parts

I had ordered several resin cockpit sets and ejector sets made by Pavla for the He-162. One of the sets and one of the ejector seats arrived in terrible shape with broken resin bits all over the place. I contacted Hannants via e-mail who immediately offered to send replacements for them, at no charge. Total time from request to arrival of the replacements? A little over two weeks.

Case 3: Revell - Replacement canopy

When I opened my Revell Arado Ar240 C-02 kit, I found that the canopy was broken. As per the Revell USA website, all orders for replacement parts had to be submitted thru them, so I dutifully submitted an order for the damaged part on June 23rd. I received an acknowledge of the order in an email stating that Revell Germany would be sending replacements to Revell USA which would then forward the replacement parts. Further the email stated that replacements would take 8 to 10 weeks. It's now 100+ days later and counting and STILL no replacement part.

Didn't know exactly where to put this, but I figured this was as good a place as any. I just had to get that rant out of my system.

The main problem for Eduard is the distance to their customers.You haver to remember that Czach Republic is the mid land country.But being the new firm they try to be nice for all. But it can take them some time to make their customers happy.

Hannants is well known firm. So there is no problem with realization of complaints.Simply they take care of the firm effigy.
However they can some problems with Polish as I was wating for a parcel for me enough long to forget about it.:lol:

Revell....hummm. I wrote them a couple of times and never got any answer.Undoubtedly it is the worst firm if we talk about the problem with getting replacement parts.

I think with Revell, in particular kits produced by Revell Germany, I'd ignore any 'directions' to apply via Revell U.S., and contact Revell GMBH direct. Although they share the same name, and are part of the same organisation, they are two separate companies. It's a few years since I had contact with them, but the response was courteous, sympathetic, and quick. For those in the UK, note that Revell (Germany) UK Office, have now moved their offices, I believe to Tring, Herts. If anyone needs the new address, let me know, and I'll dig it out.
The difference between the two companis is marked; the Revell Germany web-site has a section for comments, suggestions etc, and they do respond.
Whilst on the subject of customer service, I'd like to mention a company I had heard of, but not done business with. Purely by accident, I found their web-site when looking for an alternative supplier, in the UK, for resin wheels for a 1/48th Tempest, which I was ordering through a well known, and very good, Suffolk based outlet, but needed to 'bulk out' the order to meet the minimum order value requirement. I found Net Merchants, who not only had the items in stock at a lower price, but delivered them the next day for an extremely low shipping cost! I had reason to 'phone them, as my computer's 'spyware' threw a wobbler at one part of the transaction. Not only was my call answered rapidly and politely, but within seconds I was told who I was, where I was, what I had ordered etc! The order was completed over the 'phone, and e-mails received within minutes confirming the order and confirming despatch!
From this one brief experience, and having browsed their very extensive range, I can recommend them as another line of supply and, so far, they seem to be good at what they do!

Thanks for the tip Terry. I went ahead amd sent an email to Revell Germany since it's obvious the US folks are simply content to do nothing other than say "be patient".

Eduard was fantastic. 14 days (actually 10 working days) to have the part in my hand was far more than I hoped for. :D Hat's off to those guys.

Last edited:
It's been a number of years ago now, that I had contacted the folks at MPM models (Czech Republic) about a hard to find Me262 kit by way of email. I have to say that they were some of the nicest folks I've dealt with. There was an obvious language barrier, but the gentleman that helped me was quick to reply to my emails and very courtious.

I ended up purchasing another kit along with the one that I had been looking for in the first place!

No probs Vic. A few of their stocked lines are limited, but the selection is vast, as you probably noticed! Prices seem good generally, and I can't fault their UK shipping rates, or the speed of service!

The difference between the two companis is marked; the Revell Germany web-site has a section for comments, suggestions etc, and they do respond.

Apparently not always. Sent them an email over a week ago and no reply so far.

Can you post the link that has their contact info. I must be using the wrong contact email.

Well, it took Revell Germany less than 3 days to resolve the damaged part problem. Unfortunately the news is not good.

"This item is discontinued. The parts are not any longer available."

Which basically means I'm screwed.

Well, it took Revell Germany less than 3 days to resolve the damaged part problem. Unfortunately the news is not good.

"This item is discontinued. The parts are not any longer available."

Which basically means I'm screwed.

If I were you Dwight I would put these broken parts together.Then would sand a little the glue seams and found the rasin mould. Using the pattern I would stamp a new conopy with transparent plastic sheet or foil.

If I were you Dwight I would put these broken parts together.Then would sand a little the glue seams and found the rasin mould. Using the pattern I would stamp a new conopy with transparent plastic sheet or foil.

Good idea and I would at least try gluing it back together if it was just broken into TWO pieces or if I had all of the pieces. It's borken into four pieces and one is missing and it's not a small piece either - too big for gap filling micro crystal i think.

Ah...! Can you get a vacum canopy from Squadron?

Nope. They don't make one for that kit.

It's borken into four pieces and one is missing and it's not a small piece either - too big for gap filling micro crystal i think.

For making the mould you don't need to fill it with the micro crystal. Use a piece of the standard styrene for that..

Well here's the sorry end to this tale.

I finally got OFFICIAL confirmation in the form of a postcard from Revell stating that the part was unavailable and the kit was discontinued. Elapsed time from the date I submitted the order to receipt of the postcard? 19 weeks exactly. Not exactly stellar turnaround or performance by Revell Germany customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back