December 7th, 1941

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

beaupower32

Tech Sergeant
Jun 10, 2007
Lancaster, California
Surprised this isnt on here, or at least I didnt see it. :salute:

Seems less and less people care about this date, which is sad. Today should be a day to remember those who fought and served, no matter what nation.

I asked my friend what happened at Pearl Harbor, and he didn't even answer. He was just clueless.

The majority of the kids here in Manila know more about what to equip your hero in World of Warcraft than what happened on December 7th, 1941.

They're lucky they didn't have to do what those guys did back then. They're extremely lucky they didn't have to witness the horrors those guys experienced.

I posted this on Bobby's, but it bears repeating. I did my own "man of the street"-type poll. I asked if they knew what today is. about 2 out of ten knew right off the bat, the rest replied Dec 7th. Those I asked if that date meant anything to them. after some thinking about another 2-3 replied "Oh yea that attack in Hawaii" a bit more prodding and abut 2 knew it was Pearl Harbor. 10th graders and down had no clue without a calender they didn't even know the date. No wonder the US is in 30th place in education

Attachments

• icon_salute_proper.gif
    icon_salute_proper.gif
    344 bytes · Views: 188
  • usa_sm_halfm2.gif
    usa_sm_halfm2.gif
    9 KB · Views: 187
Mike the re: people of this age don't give a crap, life is full of ease or so they think. youth work, why ? be responsible, are you out of your mind(s) ? are you ready to die for what you firmly believe if you have a belief ethics ? .............. you must be kidding

Erich, sad but true, though I do find a few.
The school made an announcement about registering for selective service at 18. A few of the boys asked me what that was. I explained about war time drafts. Several responded that now that they knew what selective service was and could do they were not going to register "'cause they didn't want to fight"
I asked if they thought they had an obligation to their country. Response: mostly blank stares. Makes you warm all over doesn't it

RE blank stares and "cause they dont want to fight". maybe, and i certainly hope this isnt the case, the pendulum is swinging back and we will see another "hell no! we wont go." generation. maybe the 60s was just an anomaly. because up to then people did their duty and served in whatever capacity needed. the war effort had public support. and later when the us invaded grenada to rescue medical strudent the media was poised for a popular outcry against the action thinking the public still had that 60s mentality. they had to quickly shift gears when the students enbraced the soldiers and kissed the ground when the made it back to the us. those who dont remember history.......

I pray every day for the Soldiers
For without them our hope would be gone,
Thank you my friends
For giving my family and me our Freedom,
God bless your souls
Amen.

OOPS, Just saw where this post ended up. I totally agree withthe amen, and thank you Maria

Bobby, I don't know if i agree with that (post #14), the big difference I see now is that people in general today do not directly blame the soldier for the war as so many did in the Vietnam war. I sure as H*ll did not want to fight and I also felt we were supporting a terrible government in Vietnam but I had been raised with a strong sense of Duty to My Country so when push came to shove I did the best I could and once I got to know the people my heart was behind my duty as well. There are always the self-interested and self-absorbed in this world but I have always been shown total respect in the schools I visit and even on the street going to a school strangers have stopped me and said "Thank you for your service" once even by a little boy about 6 as his Dad watched with total pride. Later his Dad told me that it was his son's idea and not his.

Last edited:
I think that there is still a large percentage (majority, even) who would do whatever it took to get the job done, were we to find ourselves on the doorstep of another Pearl Harbor (look at the recruiting offices in the weeks following 9-11!), whether they felt comfortable volunteering for front-line duty or found a way to provide support from the home-front (organizing bond-drives or scrap-metal drives, for instance). Your average teenager, however, is probably not going to come right out and say that unless his friends are saying similar things, but will still do the right thing when the time comes. I think the drastic rise in tv/movie/videogame violence, coupled with all of the embedded media showing real-time what war is like, has caused the ambivalence and the general "heck, no, I won't go" attitudes. As for me, I'd sign up again in a heartbeat if the US needed me. And my daughter (and any future kiddos) will be raised the same.

Same here, none of the guys where I worked that were under 40 had a clue it was Pearl Harbor Day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back