Did the Luftwaffe Strafe Civilians in England in WW2?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
heh, when I got my military training decades ago, oldest regulars in my unit had fought in WWII as were my uncles. And as combat engineer squad leader most of my training was minelaying, also by using anti-personnel mines, which are really beasty but effective weapons to maim people, about the ½ of AP mines I was trained to use were WWII types as were part of weaponry I was trained to use and as were our boots, helmets etc. And I would not have any objections to use AP mines in conflict in planned manner but would have objected their use indiscriminately in areas where there are many civilians around, even if I admit that they were beasty things. With that background and being a trained historian, 20th century being my specialty, I think I have some understanding on that era.

Juha

The culture of war and death that was prevalent from 1940 til 1945 is hard for many to understand. Even though it is prevalent to this day. The peoples of the participating nations were able to endure much hardship, to the participants it was a feeling of national survival. Many units involved became a part of the culture of war. All sides wanted to win. The Germans were able to deal death and destruction for national survival, and the Brit's did the same. The Americans were angry that they were drug away from their peaceful life to fight in Europe and the Pacific and fought with great anger. Propaganda on all sides was great and caused the enemy to become almost non-human beasts. In reality it is an essential part of war to be able to disassociate the enemy with good human characteristics. The propaganda used was a great success, maybe too successful. Many Americans still consider Germans to be Nazi's in the back of their heads.

Situations like the strafing of civilians, the punishment of civilians for partisan efforts, the terror-bombing of cities, the collection of gold teeth( prevalent in all theaters, USMC, etc), and the shooting of members of Waffen-SS units, are the norm and not isolated incidents. In fact the ferociousness defines the war.

Hello Amsel
to us Finns that was/is pretty clear, we fought against SU, during the Winter War alone. And men of my generation were also trained to fight against SU, that was never plainly stated, but we were trained to fight against much more powerful, armour heavy attacker which had lot of firepower. If one looks a map, it wasn't/isn't difficult to figure out against who we were trained to fight. IMHO in mass armies most of men saw themselves as civilians in uniform, seeing war unwanted but necessary evil period of their life. When war was over they went to continue their civilian life if they could, to rather many that was difficult because of physical and/or psychological scars they had gotten.

On LW over GB, IMHO there were cases of strafing civilians but those were exceptions.

Juha

The Human Being is a very adaptable species.

Give him a plough and he is a farmer...give him a gun and he is a soldier.

Most of us could adapt in ways we couldnt beleive and survive because survival is all we had.

I wish I had paid more attention when my grandmother was still alive, but I do remember her saying that a Messerschmitt flew down Christchurch High Street, guns blazing, and everyone diving out of they way..

I'm surprised they had the fuel and bullets to spend on such missions. Such is war I suppose. Keep the enemy population frightened.

I remember watching a "documentary / propaganda, depends on which side you were on" that was made in 42. It discribed the attack in the lowlands before France fell. They claimed the Germans straffed civilians fleeing on the roads. It wasn't so much to inflict damage as to herd them into the path of advancing French and British troops trying to move up to fight the German ground forces. I'm sure this would have caused some casualties, but the purpose was tactical. But once you cross that line targets become less "clear" as to fight or pass. I guess it would be effectice buying time for the troops on the ground.

My mother was a child in a farming family in western germany during the war and was injured during a fighter bomber attack on the farm she worked on so it's not a one way thing.

Although it was an RAF sinle seat fighter she sain the Americans were the worst culprits and used to enjoy it

Regardless of anything else, how could she tell if the Americans were enjoying it? Chances are very slim that she'd be able to see the pilots' expressions. To see what I mean, stand at one end of a soccer stadium and try to read the expressions of a person in the top row of the stands at the other end, when that person is wearing helmet and goggles and behind a thick piece of laminated glass.

Regardless of anything else, how could she tell if the Americans were enjoying it? Chances are very slim that she'd be able to see the pilots' expressions. To see what I mean, stand at one end of a soccer stadium and try to read the expressions of a person in the top row of the stands at the other end, when that person is wearing helmet and goggles and behind a thick piece of laminated glass.
Add to that, travelling at high rate of speed while keeping an eye out for enemy aircraft, power lines, etc...

she could tell this by the general behavior of the american fighter pilots. If they could not find LW planes would attack wermacht vehicles . If they could not find vehicles would hunt fire brigades and ambulances .After that civilians After that children, then horses,then cows,then dogs ,cats any sigh of life. They would attack even empty farms and trees They were doing repeated passes until they were sure everything was dead. Often, in they hurry to attack, were fighting between them who would go first. Some in their lust for killing flew into the ground by pilot mistake
And of course it is well known the american order to shoot any german pilot in parachute
These terror stories were not told just by germans. There are many stories from alleid pows that suffered such attacks that confirm the germans witnesses. Eg It was not enough to destory a train . They would strafe the survivors. Even in May 1945 was not enough to sink ships and boats on german coasts. They would strafe the survivors in the water as well .British pilots too
Or they would execute anyone wearing a black uniform. Regardless if truly was a criminal SS ,or a panzer soldier or just a 15 year old kid that was just given a black uniform from the stocks
LW did occasionaly strafed civilians. As targets of opportunity and that was pilot s decision .But not in the scale, and official aprroved way that the alleis did

she could tell this by the general behavior of the american fighter pilots.

Some in their lust for killing flew into the ground by pilot mistake
That is the most ignorant statements I've read on this forum, you're f#*king done, I'm sick of your BS!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back