You dont understand what I am saying. Here goes...
What did the allies do when German marched in the Czech? Nothing...
What did the allies do when Germany marched into Austria? Nothing...
What did the allies do when Hitler marched into the Ruhr gebiet? Nothing...(Granted that was German land)
What did the allies do when Hitler attacked Poland? They did not invade Western Germany when they should have.
Why do I say all of this stuff because bomber wants to say the US should be shamed because they did not declare war on Germany in 1939..
That is bull, it was not a US conflict at the time.
That was never my arguement. British and Free French along with the allies fought bravely (and if you actually read all my posts I said that the allies could not have done without the US and the US could not have done it alone either without the British and Russians along with all the other allies - to many to name at the moment).
I agree with you and never have stated otherwise.
Again go and read up on your German history. The German people were not in a position to do anything and if you lived in a police state such as they did, you would not be able to do anything.
As for the German people fighting, yes they did and they did what any other person would do for the country. Fight for it. My Grandfather was a major in the German Army fighting on the Eastern Front and I am very proud of his service. At the same time my other Grandfather was in the US Army and landed in Normandy and I am very proud of his service as well.
I am very happy that my German and American grandfather found peace with oneanother and lived as friends after the war.
Now as for the celebrating the enemy? That was a pretty low and stupid comment. I will tell you that. Very cheap shot and very stupid.
I am celebrating a great fighter pilot named Erich Hartmann and there is nothing wrong with that!
Now if by that stupid comment you are implying that I am a Nazi (which 99 percent of all Germans are not) then you and me will have a problem with one another so I suggest we get this cleared up this very moment.
My repeat of the the first / expansion post was purely as Mat308 didn't get the meaning (as you clearly did) but as it's your latest (and most angry?) response I'll address it, rather than the first.
Let me say first I think this is all based on a misunderstanding and a less than ideal choice of words by both of us - my only reason to respond at such length (and with all these multi-quotes) is to clear it up.
First 3 points you make I have no disagreeement with, although you could substitute 'allies' for 'US' and they'd still be valid.
the 4th point you raise; the BEF positioning and posture was based on an agreed plan (in which we were the junior partner and therefore obliged to comply), your suggestion (based on hindsight) is valid but was not practical for the UK alone.
Hitler was never elected? that is news to me. Of course people should fight for their country. My choice of the word 'brave' in regard to the very few germans who resisted the rise of the Nazis was wrong - 'noble' / 'right-thinking' would have been better.
Like you I recognise the bravery of the fighters on all sides and never said otherwise. Similarly I, too, find great solace in the fact that former enemies are now allies.
Perhaps you should appreciate that on the evidence shown in your sig you are German and live in Germany - how i'm supposed to deduce from that that you are American is beyond me!
I come across a post from a German (?!) stating that the British and French 'did nothing' about Hitler - how am I supposed to react?
I can't find a sufficient parallel to the apparent counter-intuity of the comment you posted: I could blame the Charles Manson for not catching the Jerry Brudon (
Serial Killer - Jerry Brudos - The Lust Killer) before his 2nd murder and it would, I presume, get the same reaction
I added the point about a
former enemy to expand on the reasons for my reaction to try and help explain to Mat308 why it had irked me so. Nothing wrong with celebrating the bravery shown on all sides.
Re 'Nazi' if you check I never made that accusation, the pilot you celebrate may have been a Nazi, or may not. I have no idea but I never accused you of being a Nazi. Clearly many Germans were during WW2 and many were not.
Similarly I never mentioned that Germans
are (ie present tense) Nazis. FWIW I've been to Germany many times and have always enjoyed my time there - including discussions with former POW's who spent most of the war in the UK. I have no modern issue with UK/German relations - the UK's wierd stance on the EU aside.
The new expanded Germany does have a problem with Neo-Nazi groups (mainly arising from former 'ossies' as far as I can see) so I would question your '99%' statement but only by the odd %.
If you were 'all' German I'd argue UK/Germany should forge closer alliances and reign the US in more but I suspect that won't wash your other half

(that's not an accusation of schizophrenia BTW)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I can see a few reasons for this spat (and hopefully it's no more than that)
I reacted to your post on face-evidence, not realising you were attacking a previous post.
Your 'less than clear' sig - perhaps if you had a dual flag representing your dual allegiences it would have helped - as it's presented it represents only one of your allegiences.
I should have waited to see if it was me being unclear or just that mat308 didn't get what I was saying.
Let's kill it here - delete stuff if you want / think it would help and, hopefully agree there's a shared 'blame' for us both wasting so much time over finding out we agree on so much.
I'll take 25%, you take 20% and the other 55% we'll ascribe to mat308
Has this helped?