Digging for Buried Luftwaffe Aircraft and Parts in Indiana

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Apr 25, 2009
The Freeman Field Recovery Team is in the process of locating and recovering aviation artifacts that were buried there during the period 1946-47. Freeman Field is located near Seymour, Indiana and was used to store and evaluate captured Axis aircraft during and after WWII. The team is currently in communication with former base personnel, local eyewitnesses, and historians in order to get a comprehensive picture of where the pits are located and what items were put in them.

Examples of aircraft that have no record of leaving Freeman Field are a Do-335, He-219, Arado 234, two Me-163's, two Fw-190's, Ju-88, etc....

Although late in the season, we have located with magnetometers and Ground Penetrating Radar large metal objects. Our plan is to dig within the next two weeks to confirm our find.

Digital Ranch Studios ("Dogfights"), headed by Rob Kirk has agreed to follow and film the crew in order to produce a documentary of the project.

More posts to come

David Gray, Executive Director, Freeman Field Recovery Team

Freeman Field Recovery Team

Great to hear Dave, I wish you all the best of success!

The US marines training for Guadalcanal in New Zealand buried everything intact when they left, and the local park (the former training base at Mackay's crossing) is still full of Willys MB jeeps and M3 Stuart light tanks, not to mention piles of ammunition... the reason supposedly being to prevent it falling into enemy hands should the Japanese take NZ.
For whatever reason they would have buried stuff on US soil, I hope it is there, and can be preserved!

The Freeman Field Recovery Team is in the process of locating and recovering aviation artifacts that were buried there during the period 1946-47. Freeman Field is located near Seymour, Indiana and was used to store and evaluate captured Axis aircraft during and after WWII. The team is currently in communication with former base personnel, local eyewitnesses, and historians in order to get a comprehensive picture of where the pits are located and what items were put in them.

Examples of aircraft that have no record of leaving Freeman Field are a Do-335, He-219, Arado 234, two Me-163's, two Fw-190's, Ju-88, etc....

Although late in the season, we have located with magnetometers and Ground Penetrating Radar large metal objects. Our plan is to dig within the next two weeks to confirm our find.

Digital Ranch Studios ("Dogfights"), headed by Rob Kirk has agreed to follow and film the crew in order to produce a documentary of the project.

More posts to come

David Gray, Executive Director, Freeman Field Recovery Team

Freeman Field Recovery Team
Looking forward to hearing more on this project. :thumbup:

Wheels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back