Dirk's 1/72 MPC B-24 Liberator "Sunshine" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"There is something about that big old lumbering B-24 that I found reassuring. The B-17 Flying Fortress was easier to take off, easier to fly, easier to land, and had other advantages, such as it didn't break up or sink when it crash landed in the sea. But the B-24 was a man's airplane. It could be sternly unforgiving. It always required, and sometimes demanded, almost superhuman strength to fly. On long missions it could wear out even the strongest pilot. I've seen pilots at the end of the mission that were so exhausted they literally had to be lifted out of the pilot's seat by their crew because they couldn't get up." GEORGE McGOVERN, B-24 Pilot of the "Dakota Queen", United States Senator and a presidential candidate

Interior, Phase 3 - The Cockpit, Part 1

I will return to part 2 of the Bomb bay's once the fuselage is assembled. For now It's on to the cockpit.

Here are the parts

The flight deck and instrument panel aren't much to look at straight out of the box. While I'm NOT going to be adding all 28 gauges that fill out the IP or the 13 leavers of the flight controls I will make an attempt to make it look a little more accurate considering what will be able to be seen through the thick canopy

IMG_1929.jpg

I started by building up the center console. To do this I used an old Dr Pepper can I had laying around by bench for just this type of situation

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

Vola, soda can console

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

Here you can see the stock height of the kit seat (Co-Pilot) and the pilots seat after a bit of modification. As you can see I also added the arm rest to the pilots seat. The co-pilot seat will also get one once I modify the seat height. It looks better raised if you ask me.

IMG_1937.jpg

Adding more Evergreen to the console for the engine throttle levers

IMG_1938.jpg

Part 2 of the cockpit build will follow shortly. Thanks for looking

Interior, Phase 3 - The Cockpit, Part 2

Time to add the throttle levers for the engines. Because none of the Evergreen stock I have is small enough I decided to go back to the Dr Pepper can. Using some scissors I cut some slivers from the can and attached each lever one at a time. I trimmed them down after they were all dried and in place

IMG_1941.jpg

The control wheels came next. In this kit they came as full steering wheels and needed to have the tops cut off.

IMG_1942.jpg

Here you can see the wheels trimmed and in place.

IMG_1943.jpg

Here is the almost completed flight deck

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

That about finishes off the cockpit. Next we'll turn to the waist gunners position

Thanks for looking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back