Dirk's Wooden Wonder. d.H. Mosquito Mk XVIII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
This was a quick build for me. 5 weeks.:| . Sad I know but it is the nature of the beast I guess.

Enjoy

History

The Mosquito excelled in a variety of roles during World War II, including as day or night fighter, strike fighter-bomber, photo-reconnaissance, pathfinder, intruder, maritime strike, and surprisingly, a few BOAC mailplane variants flew regular nightly services over Nazi-occupied Europe!

It was conceived as a fast twin engined day bomber that could outrun all contemporary fighters.
With no heavy defensive armament to man, the crew was reduced to pilot and navigator so the aircraft was lighter, faster and overall more efficient. de Havilland chose a radical construction technique initially developed for their earlier Comet racer - by utilising a laminated ply and balsa skin formed in concrete moulds by civilian craftsmen, the Mosquito was extremely strong, light, and flexible, yet placed minimal drain on essential materials and skilled-labour during Britain's 'darkest hour' in 1940 - 1941.

The model

As far as Airfix kits go this one seems to be the best quality of the lot that I've seen. There is some excess flash but a lot less then some other Airfix kits such as the Blenheim. the smaller parts also seem less clunky. I look forward to building this one.

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2760.jpg

IMG_2761.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

I'm not sure yet but I believe I will be building this as the Mk XVIII. Guns, cannon and rockets going after shipping. Gotta love it.

The Cockpit

Here we see what Arifix gave us to work with
IMG_2765.jpg

i'm not so thrilled with with the seats given with this kit. While they are not bad they don't look like Mosquito seats. So its time to break out the knife, saw and styrene. The operation begins with the dissection of the original seat.
IMG_2766.jpg

Here is a comparison of the kit seat and the seat I made. I used a great photo of the pilots seat from the Squadron Mosquito Walk Around. The only original piece left is the bottom seat. I scratch built the armored seat back and the support braces. I also added arm rests.
IMG_2769.jpg

IMG_2768.jpg

IMG_2771.jpg

IMG_2772.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_2775.jpg

IMG_2776.jpg

Unlike the Blenheim project there are plenty of photos online of the cockpit to work with.

Next I started by adding some minor details such more bracing for both seats, seat belt anchor and bracing for the radio that goes behind the pilot.

IMG_2779.jpg

IMG_2780.jpg

Next the interior color was added

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

While that dried I tried to add some detail to the cockpit walls.

IMG_2783.jpg

I admit I should have taken care of the ejector marks on the interior walls but I was just to darn lazy.
IMG_2784.jpg

I apologize for the negativity but again I felt that Airfix fell short on the radio detail so its time to make my own. Believe it or not this hunk of plastic will be the aircraft's radio.

IMG_2777.jpg

Next i attached a very small bit of styrene to the center of the block. Then using styrene rod I made knobs. After the glue drys they will be trimmed down and painted.

IMG_2778.jpg

Here you can see the "almost" finished cockpit with the #2 seat in place and the radios.

IMG_2786.jpg

Next I need seat belts...

Edwards Photoetch RAF harnesses to the rescue.

IMG_2816.jpg

I installed the harnesses, weathered the cockpit a bit and put the cockpit in place.

IMG_2817.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

Next I started the nose job. Cutting off a large piece of the fuselage had me a bit nervous.

IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

IMG_2798.jpg

Next I moved to the vent covers on the underside of the wings. When I first saw these clunky covers I thought I'd replace them with some PE strips I had but then I realized I would loose the detail on the originals. So I decided I would just file down the originals and save the detail. These Airfix kits don't have a lot of detail to begin with so I feel its our duty to say as much as we can. :lol:

IMG_2800.jpg

Closed up the fuselage

IMG_2819.jpg

Next came the attaching of the new nose. Very little filler will be needed.

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

Next the wings were built up

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_2826.jpg

More filling and sanding. UGH!!!!!

IMG_2827.jpg

These dimples remind me of a Playboy Bunny's... back side. :mrgreen:
Not that big a deal. It just means more filling and sanding. UGH!!

IMG_2828.jpg

I got tired of filling and sanding so I decided to start painting some of the fiddly stuff like the landing gear and the under wing rockets. SWEET!

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

Next I attached the wings to the main fuselage.

IMG_2834.jpg

Oh, I should mention that while filling and sanding (UGH!!) I dropped the fuselage and it landed right on the nose busting the guns. UGH!!! DAMN YOU MURPHY!

In case you were wondering Murphy is the guy who wrote some laws. Murphy's Laws.

Looks like we have another setback.

charlie-brown-baseball-aaugh.jpg

I tried to fit the engine nacelles in place and here is what I found.

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2859.jpg

You can see the cause of the problem here. Looking at the wing and the directions they don't match. It looks like my wing has more plastic after the intake vent where as the photo in the directions has less.

IMG_2858.jpg

Last we left I befungled the engine nacelles after assembling, filling and lots and lots of sanding.

IMG_2893.jpg

Well the nacelles were ripped apart and reassembled correctly.As it turns out I had assembled the incorrect engine halfs together. Next I got ready to started with the painting.

here is the bird I'm building D.QM of the 248 Sqn

ColorProfile.jpg

IMG_2848.jpg

Priming the beast

IMG_2849.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

Medium Sea gray

IMG_2847.jpg

Here we masked off the area for the application of Dark Sea Gray. This was to indicate the painting over of the Invasion stripes

IMG_2869.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

Next the landing gear. WTF???

IMG_2876.jpg

Not the greatest repair job but it works.

IMG_2878.jpg

Attaching the engine nacelles to the wings

IMG_2897.jpg

Next I decided to address the 4 broken nose guns. Normally I bore my gun barrels but due to the time constraints I chose To do this with .028 dia brass wire. After installing the guns I painted them gunmetal

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2880.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

here are two of my six excuses for not getting in a lot of building. They are Beckett and Delaney my 2 year old twins.

IMG_2829.jpg

next I started the Rockets

IMG_2891.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

IMG_2898.jpg

Those are some thick gear doors, eh? If I had time I'd thin them out or make replacements from a beer can. Again time is too short.

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2895.jpg

Here are the reattached Elevators

IMG_2901.jpg

Top view of the paint job. This paint job gave me fits. After spraying the Dark Green I had to go over all the Medium Sea Gray again with a brush. This was my first attempt at a "normal" camo scheme.

IMG_2902.jpg

The finished pictures will be posted sometime tonight.

Thanks for taking the time to look at my build

Last edited:
Very nice work Dirk. I especially like your scratch-building in the cockpit. One point though, easily corrected - the four Browning machine guns had cooling jackets over the barrels, which were black, not gunmetal.

Only 5 weeks Dirk, that's lighting speed in my book. Glad you've got the crew (twins) on a training program and what a great little model youe are building, such fine detail for the scale.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

fantastic work dirk the scratch building and the paint work look amazing and all in 1:72!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back