**** DONE: 1/32 Junkers Ju.87c Stuka - Carrier aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

No, it's O.K., I regularly sit on my end tables to demonstrate how sturdy they are.
I weigh in at 220lbs. and when I drop on them, there is no question that they are well made!

Starting to look like a stuka

stuka20.jpg

Soon, my friend. Life is rearing it's ugly head. We had a wicked storm here while I was out in the woods and the pavilion style tent I have been working, (and storing my tools) under blew down. A complete disaster. but a good chance to organize. I am fastening it to the end of the house on the leeward side and maybe that will help.
Back to the Stuka,
I realize that I am doing things a little different from the norm, (and the instructions), but I felt that the landing gear needed a strong fastening point. They are pretty heavy!
I will cover it in sections, control surfaces seperate, and the outer, folding sections, also separate. The "hinges" will be made from pine or poplar chunks for strength.
I might finish the Crusader first, as a break, and it is close anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to be very interesting watching that wing joint. I have no idea even where/how i'd begin doing that. I always used rice paper to cover, then LOTS of clear dope. Understand that there are lots better options now.
Looking real good Paul

Going to be very interesting watching that wing joint. I have no idea even where/how i'd begin doing that. I always used rice paper to cover, then LOTS of clear dope. Understand that there are lots better options now.
Looking real good Paul

Don't use rice paper anymore, Mike. We use a tissue called silk-span. It actually has a grain like a piece of wood ! After you cover your unit, you first spray it with water. The silk-span will shrink quite a bit, for a nice tight fit. Then you paint on a mix of 50/50 clear dope/thinner, up to five coats, sanding in between with a 400 grit paper (or finer). The dope mix makes the fibers stand up, and they have to be sanded. And, the pores of the tissue have to be sealed to hold the paint. When the pores of the tissue are sealed, the tissue will take on a shine.

The new models are so different from when I was a kid (65 years ago), they are almost a pleasure to build.

Charles

Charles, that new stuff sounds just like the old rice paper, which as I recall also had a grain to it as well. The only thing I disliked about balsa was the lack of fine detail and the old wood glue which took an hour or so to set, ran all over the place, and fillets might take days to completely dry.
I seem to also recall some covering material that was put on with a heated iron??? It was already pre-colored

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back