**** DONE: 1/32 Messerchmitt Bf 110D, 6./ZG 76 M8+SP - Me/ Fw Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Now that I've seen it enlarged, I tend to agree. The tail-end of the mark exhibits classic static fogging of the film, but, as it (the mark) conforms to the fin leading edge, it may not be. It could be retouching, as the density seems to high for staining, but of course it could a smudge of oil or mud, accentuated by the tonal contrast of the print. There wouldn't be a problem omitting it, as I very much doubt it would have remained there long, if it is staining.

I tend to think Terry was right in his first assessment as the stain does not continue from the fin over the rudder and tends to come down at quite a steep angle, to my mind this is not consistent with the air flow. There is also a distinct demarcation line between the fin and rudder apart from a little smudging at the base. So I am with you Cory, i'd ignore it.

Great project Cory!

Re the pic, I agree with Peter - I think it's an huge oil leak. Look at the rear of the port engine cowl - black as hell (much darker than the underwing shadow), but NOT the cowl itself. If it was a shadow from a higher flying aircraft, the cowl would be darker as well. The blurred edging to the tail fin patch also backs this up I think.

I was just doing some reading for my own BF-110 project and as I was going through my books collection I've come across a pic or two of a different aircraft that seem to show exactly the same kind of spot or staining and a partially muted swastika on the rudder. Only a few show something comparable (as far as intensity is concerned) to the pic of your a/c, but I've found a whole lot that seems to have it to a lesser degree, most striking are the partially muted swastika's (in a very similar way compared to your a/c), these can be found on a lot of pic's if you look for it. Looking at a profile from above it struck me that engines/exhausts are more or less in the same line as the rudders and also taking into account that the DB-60x series of engines were not exactly clean burning engines (lots of dirty smoke and oilstains all over) I could very wel be possible that under the 'right' circumstances very intense staining could form.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys!

Also Jelmer, thanks for that. It seems it could be likely that it would have it then? I suppose I could either leave it out or put it in, which I guess I'll have to decide what to do. It's interesting but it's also somewhat risky.

Perhaps you could paint and decal it as usual, seal it with a good couple of coats of future and then mist-coat a very thin mix (in other words more thinner then paint) of the appropriate colors in the shape of the staining. The way I look at it such an extremely thin paint mix would lose a lot of it's adhesive power and could be easily wiped away with a damp tissue or something (I'm guessing it could work for both acrylic and enamel paints but a bit of testing might be in order should you decide to add the presumed staining) If you like the effect, seal it up with future and proceed with the build, or wipe it away if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Cory, you could do it the way I do exhaust stains. After the decals and dull coat use black powered pastel chalk. If you like the looks of it, seal it with more dull coat. If you don't like it, wash it off. Just remember to put the pastels on a little heavy as the effect will be diminished by sealing it with the dull coat.

Now the debate has settled on exhaust stains I'd go with Glenn, just put the dust on some newspaper and dip a brush in lightly and then gently apply the stain. Go easy though as at first you may think nothing is coming off the brush and then add more and before you know it, a big black smudge.

Thanks Vic, will do.

I've painted the cockpit and anything else that needed to be 02, as well as put most of the cockpit together, but I have to paint various things within it so nothing really to show for now. Should get to that today, as I'm a jobless bum. :lol:

Finally, progress! After sitting on the bench for quite some time, I finally got the cockpit finished today.

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304-1.jpg

Hmm, way darker on this screen than on the camera's.

Off to a good start. Looks mighty similar to my 1/48 nightfighter build ;) What are the building instructions and color call-outs for this 1/32 scale kit like? I've found my 1/48 scale instructions and color call-outs confusing and sometimes plain stupid at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back