**** DONE: 1/32 P-39Q - Mediterranean Theater of Operations

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been away from home for a few days so I can just report a little progress: fuselage and wings glued together, with some efforts because if I would have used a spacer to widen the fuselage and meet wing, then I would have create a big gap between the fuselage itself and the resin front landing gear whell, therefore the only solution was to add a 0.5 mm plasticard sheet on both sides and fill with some putty yet to be sanded in my pictures
20150104_165608.jpg
20150104_165601.jpg

Sanding and, if necessary, more filling will be done tomorrow.
Alberto

Many thanks for all nice comments.
Today I completed the file for the special decals to be sent to a guy who will print them for me with a printer that also prints white.
stampa decals.jpg

There are more Italian roundels then needed but I still have to understand which one has the correct diameter and to have some spare for future needs.
By the way I will be paying for a full sheet, so better have it full of images.
Alberto

OK, I found two guys here in Italy that do the job.
One is using a laser printer the other use an Alps printer.
For what I need they ask for aprox 20 Euro to make my decals starting from a file I did myself.
I decided to test both of them in order to understand how they work and possibly recommend them everybody interested.
Laser printing is more expensive so for the above amount I will get just the white stuff, no roundels.
stampa3.jpg

I will use Alps printed roundels or, more likely, I will make necessary masks and paint them on.
Alberto

Is the laser printing on white decal paper? I've always understood that the only way to print white is with an APLS. The white script above can be made with a laser on white paper by printing the darker background but how do you make sure that the background colour matches the model colour?

Is the laser printing on white decal paper? I've always understood that the only way to print white is with an APLS. The white script above can be made with a laser on white paper by printing the darker background but how do you make sure that the background colour matches the model colour?

OK, what the guy doing laser print told me is that he needed me to supply two layers in the file, one looking exactly as the picture I posted above and the other being totally black.
In printing stage he will set the printer to firstly print white everything that in the file is black an then print black items over that white layer.
I hope you will understand as isn't very clear for me.
By the way, as I said above, I decided to "invest" some money to check if the process work and how good is it.
That guy has a page on Facebook, you can have a look by searching: DM Models Decals
Alberto

Hi, I've done some progress on the model in the mean time.

Sanded and polished all puttied areas

20150114_163949(0).jpg
20150104_165601.jpg

Completed seat with belts and glued in place. Also painted inside of the canopy glass and glued too.
Also temporary positioned gun-bay covers on the nose in order to protect gun-bay from painting and get them painted as well

20150114_163900.jpg
20150114_163842.jpg

More to follow, hopefully soon.
Alberto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back