**** DONE: 1:48 B-17G - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jeff Hunt

1st Lieutenant
Jul 20, 2012
Guelph Ontario Canada
Username: Jeff Hunt
Name: Jeff
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Monogram
Model Type: B-17 G Flying Fortress
Accessories: OOB

The plan is to build her as B-17G 42-31367, " Chow Hound". This ship was assigned to the 332nd squadron of the 91st Bomb Group and flew out of Bassingbourn England.

She was shot down on August 08th over Caen France.

This is the plan. Chow Hound decals are the kit supplied ones and I have no telling how they will work as the kit came to me second hand. They look okay but I reserve the right to buy aftermarket decals should these ones prove faulty.

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG

Cheers,

jeff

Last edited:
From memory, as it's 20 years since I built mine, the only very slight problem areas are the fit on the underside of one wing, easily filled, and maybe the windscreen. The latter was slightly tricky to slip into place, without creating a 'step' on the pointed front section, but can be done with a bit of jiggling around - just take care not to stress and crack it.

Jeff, for insurance, you can try spraying a thin coat of acrylic clear coat (e.g. Future) onto your decal sheet and letting it completely dry before using the decals.

Caution !
I used Future only once, as a clear coat on decals, and found that it dissolved when the decal was immersed in water.
As it's a wax floor polish, designed to be removed with water, this is not surprising, and I've never used it since.
However, a standard acrylic gloss varnish is fine, and I use a spray can, sometimes Humbrol, or an artist's varnish, my most recent being Vallejo clear gloss artist's acrylic, in an aerosol spray can. This is used on any decal sheet which is even slightly suspect, especially old decals. A single coat normally does the job, sometimes a second coat, sprayed at least 15 minutes after the first coat, is applied if the decals are really aged.
Leave the decal sheet for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer, before use.

Good start Jeff.

John, no, clear coating the decals shouldn't affect their ability to settle into panel lines etc. The coating should be just a light one, to hold the printed image together, and a decal solvent will work just as well as on 'normal' decals.

Great choice Jeff. I made that kit when I was about 12. I remember staring at it on the shelf at K-Mart wile saving for weeks to be able to buy it. Was your kit one of the older ones with the full color Shep Pain diorama pamphlet included? I think that pamphlet is what started me trying to do better and better models. I poked around the basement and found it, although rather worse for ware. I even used the Chow Hound decals on it.
:)
P2021670.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back