**** DONE: 1:48 B-17G - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Caution !
I used Future only once, as a clear coat on decals, and found that it dissolved when the decal was immersed in water.
As it's a wax floor polish, designed to be removed with water, this is not surprising, and I've never used it since.

The Future sold here in the Great White North is an acrylic, not wax, clear coat. Try as you might, it will not dissolve in water once cured. Windex, which contains ammonia and some alcohol will dissolve it. In any case, it might be a good idea to try a sample first to see how it behaves.

Does clear coating the decal sheet have any effect on the decals ability to conform into the panel lines?

John, not sure but it stands to reason that applying an extra coat of clear will thicken the decal a bit and could therefore influence its flexibility to settle into recesses, unless of course the coating reacts with decal solution, in which case, you may have a different problem.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
Great choice Jeff. I made that kit when I was about 12. I remember staring at it on the shelf at K-Mart wile saving for weeks to be able to buy it. Was your kit one of the older ones with the full color Shep Pain diorama pamphlet included? I think that pamphlet is what started me trying to do better and better models. I poked around the basement and found it, although rather worse for ware. I even used the Chow Hound decals on it.
:)View attachment 335790

Yep, got the colour sheet and I remember it from when I built this as a teenager.

Good evening everyone. Lots of good discussion about decals. I have used a couple of the smaller ones while putting the radio compartment together and they have performed okay. Hopefully that holds true for the rest of them.

The photos are where I am at as of tonight. A few touchups and the radio room will be complete.

Are you building a new addition to your house too?

I may have to seeing as I have another B-24, a PBY-5, another Wellington, a Ventura and a Lancaster, all in 1:48 scale sitting downstairs, plus a 1:24 Hurricane,, not to mention a bunch of single seat stuff.

In addition I have 1:48 scale F-105, F-101 and a F-4 Phantom and they are all a good size too.

Cheers,

Jeff

It may be that a little more decal solution is needed after clear-coating decals, but, so far, I haven't had a problem with them settling.
Surprisingly, I've found that old Monogram and Revell decals (over 25 years old), have worked well even without clear-coating. I recently used some placards from the same B-17 kit without any problems, and the kit was purchased in about 1988 !!

Looking good Jeff.
It's a shame we didn't have more time when you were here in September, as Bassingbourn was only a fifteen minute drive from our campsite, and the control tower museum is open every second Monday, or by arrangement. The base is now an Army barracks, but a lot of the old airfield, plus all the hangars and main camp buildings are still in use.

Interior is looking nice Jeff! Thanks to Terry and Andy for answering questions about the decals... I just hate decals that don't conform to panel lines.

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

Work continues with the office now being complete. Once it is installed much of the flight deck will be lost from view but a fair bit of the bombardier's position will be visible through the nose.

Cheers,

Jeff

Nice work on the innards Jeff. I've often looked at the clear version but deep down I know I could never pull it off.

Geo

I know I could never pull off the clear version. I always cringe when I see the pictures on the computer. What looks spot on to the naked eye.....well they say the camera doesn't lie.

Cheers,

Jeff

IMG_0002.JPG

Took a bit of time on the coldest day of the year so far( wont last long as tomorrow is to be colder...-35 c ) and worked away on the B-17.

Masked off the ball turret and got it painted as well as the chin turret which I have weathered just a smidgen. The paint masks are still in place on the ball turret should I scratch it up a bit during assembly. I have put the tail wheel unit together and have glued it into place in the starboard side of the fuselage. The tailplane top sides have been painted and tomorrow if time permits I will weather them a bit and then tackle the bottom side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back