**** DONE: 1:48 B-17G - Allied Advance and Defense of the Reich WWII.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG

Props have been done and have been set aside until all else in finished. The wing tips have been painted red and the rubber deicer boots have been sprayed on. Next step will be to mask off these painted areas and paint the wings themselves.

Very few little pieces left to do, just major assemblies and painting. Fuselage still needs to be joined but I have to paint some guns first as they have to be installed before joining the halves.

Cheers,

Jeff

IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

Got lots done today. Both top half of the wings have been painted now. The port wing has not been finished but I spent the better part of the afternoon "fixin" up the starboard wing. I wanted to make this bird look dirty as she appears to be quite worn in the airborne photo back on page one of this thread. Starboard wing has had a coat of Future applied to help protect it for when I flip it over to do the bottom. Don't know if I have overdone it. I have certainly seen some filthy aircraft photos but whether Chow Hound got this dirty I don't know but this is how I had envisioned finishing her from the start.

I started painting with straight olive drab. After that I cut another jar of olive drab with white to lighten and then went over the wings again using differing amounts of paint applied to vary the colouring in an attempt to show uneven wear of the paint. I used a bit of pastels and some tamiya smoke along with some flat aluminum to show the hard life that these big birds went through.

The light along the outside of engine #4 is reflection from the camera flash, not weathering.

Comments and criticisms are welcome as always.

Cheers,

Jeff

Last edited:
Another question.

If a control surface, say an aileron, were to sustain minor battle damage and needed to be "patched" would they sew a new piece of fabric to repair the hole or was there some type of adhesive that could be used to patch things up?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Nice work Jeff - it's looking good.
Fabric repairs in the field were normally done by doping a new piece of fabric over the hole, unless the damage was extensive, when the area would be re-covered properly, and stitched and doped.
Smaller patches (i.e. not a full 'bay' between ribs, on say, an elevator) were sometimes left un-painted, due to time and pressure of work, and these would often show up as dull red patches.

I really like the weathering you did on the engines Jeff.

In the past I've made small patches out of piece of thin paper glued on and then painted with a slightly different shade of paint

Looking really good there Jeff, Chow Hound had over 40 missions when she was shot down, I figure you can make a pretty good argument for all that grime. I seen shots of some in the fight less and with more.

The wings looks great Jeff! The weathering on the wings is a tiny bit on the heavy side, IMO, especially from the indoor shots. It made me think of engine fire damage and not not exhaust, which might be applicable in this case perhaps. But the effect looks more subdued in the outdoor shot. It looks very good though and it should be an impressive sight once the painted wings and stabs are attached to the fuselage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back