**** DONE 1/48 DAP Beaufighter 21 A8-159 E-SK "Ginger Meggs" Heavy Hitters GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Its coming along splendidly. Very, very nice work. Those pig tail attachments make sense. I use to load missiles and bullets on F-16's and that connector was either in the rear or in the middle depending on the munitions.

Cheers Kev, VB and CR!

Todays update.

Pic 1 Rockets were drilled at the motor end and copper wire inserted in the end. Holes were drilled in the rocket blast plates to accommodate the other end of the pig tails.

Pic 2 After a bit of trial and error, the "pig tails" were bent to shape.

Pic 3 Pig tails painted a brick red colour. Actually I didn't use Terry's suggestion of "Winerot" thinking this was far too, well "German". The colour is a more appropriate Model Masters "British Crimson" :D

Pic 4 Rocket's installed. Actually a very easy operation, but I did drill mounting holes in the rails to keep them in place.

Pic 5 Followed this with a couple of coats of "Future Substitute" matted down with Tamiya Flat Base. I left a slight sheen, as I wanted to give the impression of a near new aircraft.

Pic 6 Rockets ready to go.

Pic 7 Id lights in the belly. I filled them with "Krystal Klear". They start off looking white, but will dry transparent.

Pic 8 The wing lights I have drilled a whole in the centre and filled with clear green and red for each side. I'll give the inside edge a touch of silver and install with CA.

Pic 9 Looking at some of the photos, including that of "Nancy" it's apparent that this aircraft had oil leaks from the engine that basically covered the gear covers, making them appear dark and shiny. I have replicated this with a wash and some Tamiya "Smoke". I also added a very light grey exhaust staining aft of the exhaust pipes. I think it looks very effective and i'll add some more to the cannon ports also I think.

End of update.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• rockets 005a - resized.jpg
    rockets 005a - resized.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 147
  • rockets 005b - resized.jpg
    rockets 005b - resized.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 142
  • rockets 005c - resized.jpg
    rockets 005c - resized.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 156
  • rockets 006 - resized.jpg
    rockets 006 - resized.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 160
  • rockets 007 - resized.jpg
    rockets 007 - resized.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 173
  • exhaust staining - resized.jpg
    exhaust staining - resized.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 150
  • id lights 003 - resized.jpg
    id lights 003 - resized.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 145
  • id lights 002 - resized.jpg
    id lights 002 - resized.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 151
  • rockets 008 - resized.jpg
    rockets 008 - resized.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 144
Great stuff Peter, the RP's really look the business. When you mention 'Future Substitute', is this the 'new' stuff, which has replaced the original Future / Klear, and isn't clear - if you know what I mean? I'm interested to hear how it performs, as I've read that it's OK, but want to know from someone who's used it! I'm on my very last bottle, about a third left, of the good old stuff.

Thanks Terry Dwight and Karl.

I can't get "Future" here in Australia at all, but I use a similar product called "One Go". Seems to work okay, but I can't compare with "future".

Pic 1 The wing tips seams and sometimes other areas of the DAP Beaufighter were sealed with tape. The tape could be either white or black. I've posted pics previously that show this tape clearly and wanted replicate this on Ginger Meggs. I used Tamiya tape cut into thin strips, painted black and then applied.

Pic 2 Heres the tape installed and a close up of the id light. There's only a single red globe, but the camera caught a reflection in the very end of the tip.

Pic 3 Final bits and pieces. Pitot installed and Antenna added. Masks removed.

Pic 4 Just about there I think. 8)

Attachments

• wing tape 001 - resized.jpg
    wing tape 001 - resized.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 138
  • wing tape 004 - resized.jpg
    wing tape 004 - resized.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 129
  • wing pitot installed - resized.jpg
    wing pitot installed - resized.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 141
  • A end - resized.jpg
    A end - resized.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 153
Great job Peter, looks superb mate. Thanks for the info about the Aussie 'Future' stuff too. BTW, those 'tubes' which you think are fuel dumps. There's something in the back of the grey lump of fat which passes for my brain, telling me that they're actually I.D. lamps, which have a specific name (which I can't remember!). If they are, then the lamp itself was enclosed in a shrouded tube, and could only be seen from directly behind, by formating aircraft, and where only used for this, as required. I might be wrong in the case of the Beau, but I do know they were fitted to many Brirish aircraft - I happened to come across some info on them recently, but I'm blowed if I can remember where!

Cheers Guys - it's been and interesting build and it was great to actually meet the pilot for this one. Something I'll always remember. Thanks Terry, if you do find out please post the answer, it's still a mystery to me.

Once again, thanks for your interest and complements along the way.

Finally I'll finish off with a pic of the two Stan's of 93 Squadron Stan Leviston and Stan Evill- the Green Ghosts plus a guest appearance by....Ginger himself!

Attachments

• Stan levi leviston and Stan Evill - resized.jpg
    Stan levi leviston and Stan Evill - resized.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 126
  • ginger meggs ghost strip.gif
    ginger meggs ghost strip.gif
    82.7 KB · Views: 139

Users who are viewing this thread

Back