**** DONE 1/48 DAP Beaufighter 21 A8-159 E-SK "Ginger Meggs" Heavy Hitters GB (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys - Terry according to the info I posted earlier, the fat buggers are called SAP with the red band and silver tip. The HE type look the same but have a red band and yellow tip, and the thin ones are AP and are painted solid black. I hope of got that all right.:oops:

Some good photos of the electrics would be really handy and very welcome.

Cheers

Peter

PS Heres the link:

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/4-heavy-hitters/114414d1259969331-1-48-dap-beaufighter-21-a8-159-e-sk-ginger-meggs-60lb-rockets.jpg

OK mate, I'll dig out and post some pics tomorrow. You're not wrong about the RP's, it's just the SAP's had an explosive warhead too, with a solid core, so are really HESAP, but commonly called HEAP. Unlike the AP round, which pierced, say, a tank at very high velocity, causing the internal surfaces to 'scab off', then bounce around inside at a high rate of knots, obliterating everything, the SAP (or HESAP/HEAP) round, punched a hole then exploded, not quite the same as a HEAT shaped-charge round, and blew the f*@%$ out of the target!
These rounds were particulary effective against shipping, and could actually sink quite large vessels, even those with armoured, or part armoured, hulls/decks, depending on thickness etc.

Thanks for that Terry, Mags and Wayne

Started applying the decals, and they are working out just great. I had to slim down the fin flash, as it was a bit wide to my eye, just by cutting off a small strip each side.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• decals apply 002- resized.jpg
    decals apply 002- resized.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 130
  • decals apply 001- resized.jpg
    decals apply 001- resized.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 124
Here are the pics I promised Peter, showing the firing 'pigtails' and some other useful details.
(Pics from IWM, British Official, Public Archive of Canada, and RAAF Official)
PIC 1. This shows the saddles which hang the RP on the rails, and the rails themselves. The RP's are 25lb SAP - note the slightly bulbous warhead.
PIC 2. The other type of rail used, and the different type of saddle, with the 'pigtails' hanging from the tails of 25lb SAP RP's.
PIC 3. These are AP rounds, note the slimmer head, compared to SAP. The pigtails are again hanging, and are only connected immediately before take off. Also visible here are the deflector plates between the rails and the wing surface.
PIC 4. Shows the 'pigtails' being connected, from the AP rounds, to the sockets set into the wing. The connecting wire, as far as I know, was a dull, brownish red colour, not unlike 'Winerot' panzer cammo colour, and the ceramic plug top was an off white, with a bright metal multi-pin plug. The shape of the deflector plate can be seen to advantage in this pic.
PIC 5. You've probably seen, or got this one, but just in case, that's your man in the centre!
Hope these help a bit, cheers,
T.

Attachments

• Buys 103.jpg
    Buys 103.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Buys 104.jpg
    Buys 104.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 135
  • Buys 105.jpg
    Buys 105.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 155