**** DONE 1/48 DAP Beaufighter 21 A8-159 E-SK "Ginger Meggs" Heavy Hitters GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Beaut work Peter, and some great reference material. The Tamiya instrument panel I think was perhaps based on a late model Beau, as I found it didn't seem to match the Mk1 or MkVIF when I built mine. If I may suggest, if it's not too late, give the control column grips a coat of clear semi matt - it will replicate the covering material, and help them stand out a bit. If you can, also lighten the spokes just slightly.
That's a fantastic coup to be able to meet and talk to the pilot, although a great shame his Nav has passed away. They're starting to fade away now, sadly.
Please pass on the good wishes of the members here if you will.

Thanks guys, and thanks for the tips Terry. I still need to finish and install the gunsight, and I'll do those things you mention. The DAP instrument panel and side wall detail was different again from the MkX on which it was based. The SAM publication has details on cockpit layout for the MkX, but these do not match up with details in the official Descriptive Manual and pilots notes for the Mk21 when you get down to it, so to accurately model the DAP version, you would probably need to scrap the whole Tamiya interior and start again! That's a bit beyond me in 1/48.

Hmmm. I sense an opportunity for a resin conversion, but I don't think one is currently available for this.

Interestly the SAM publication also has a number of photos of the Duxford Beau interior, which shows features of both British and DAP versions!

Cheers

Peter

Yep, the Duxford Beau is being built from bits of each. I think there are also different parts from different Marks even in the British bits! It's intersting that those exported to Portugal are also different internally. I've got some interior pics of one somewhere, I think the one that's in the RAF Museum, which is ex- Portugese. Fairly sure there was a wine rack next to the oxygen cylinder storage.......
BTW, just remembered. In the pics I posted of the Duxford Beau, there is a loop. or ring, shown on the outboard leg of the starboard undercarriage. This is a temporary locking pin, to prevent the gear from folding, and isn't a standard fit. Also, on the pics Alex posted, the red part of the gear legs serve a similar purpose, in preventing the oleos from compressing due to possible leakage with time - they are sleeves fitted between the oleo tube and the bottom of the leg, and aren't on operational aircraft in use.

Cheers Alex and Terry

Wine rack? The DAP version had it's own esky mate! Blood Oath! Kept the beer frosty in the islands.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for link Alex, I think I got some photos from the Aussie Modeler International Site which look the same. Anyway I'm using some of yours now. 8)

The Tamiya detail can be a little bit simple in places - one place is the axle ends on the undercarriage. Here's what I mean.

Pic 1 reference Photo (Source: Heinz. Observation: It's an undercarriage leg:):thumbleft: )(well actually its some "alighting gear" in the Bristol vernacular!)

Pic 2 Tamiya Part - no detail.

Pic 3 I only drilled a shallow hole, as I didn't want to weaken this area too much, but will paint the centre black to give the impression of the hollow axle. Marvelous - you add by taking away!

Attachments

• Axle reference - resized.jpg
    Axle reference - resized.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Axle before - resized.jpg
    Axle before - resized.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Axle after - resized.jpg
    Axle after - resized.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Thanks VB and CR. When you really look closely at the undercarriage, the detail on the Tamiya item does look a bit contrived in places too. Do you think they would do this now? (this is an early nineties kit isn't it?) Still I'm not going to grumble, the fit and "build" of this kit is great. Well - onto some brake lines now.

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Guys

Here's todays progress on engines and cowls.

Pic 1 - Reference photo (Source: Unknown) A8-173 SK-Y. Note colour of cowl ring and exhaust.

Pic 2 - I have painted the front cowl ring cover semi-gloss black and the exhaust a special mix of MM "buffing" steel and bronze and brown. It has a faint tinge of bronze. Hope you can see it in the photo, which was my best approximation.

Pic 3 - Another view of cowls. Inside is interior green.

Pic 4 - Engines. Dark Gray - almost black. Dry brushed cooling fins aluminium.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• 93sqnRAAF7 A8-173 SK-Y - resized.jpg
    93sqnRAAF7 A8-173 SK-Y - resized.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 137
  • cowls 01 - resized.jpg
    cowls 01 - resized.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 164
  • cowls 02 - resized.jpg
    cowls 02 - resized.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 161