**** DONE 1/48 DAP Beaufighter 21 A8-159 E-SK "Ginger Meggs" Heavy Hitters GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cheers Guys

More progress today on wheels, alighting gear and cockpit.

Pic 1 Wheels painted. I tried something different today. I painted the tyres matt black and polished them gently with a cotton bud to give a slightly "glossy" look. Seemed to come out okay.

Pic 2 Painted alighting gear, installed brake lines with fine copper wire, and installed tyres. If you want to install brake lines you need to super glue the wheels to stop them rotating.

Pic 3 Painted alighting gear bracing and hydraulic ram, nacelle interior. No weathering at this stage.

Pic 4 Finished off detail to the cockpit, by adding gunsight, painting control grips gloss, some dry brushing and added seatbelts by using Tamiya supplied decals. I think I would rather use photo etch for these, but I don't have the RAF type handy.

Until next time....cya.

Attachments

• wheels 01 - resized.jpg
    wheels 01 - resized.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 163
  • wheels 03 - resized.jpg
    wheels 03 - resized.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 152
  • alighting 02 - resized.jpg
    alighting 02 - resized.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 170
  • dash 08 - resized.jpg
    dash 08 - resized.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 139
All looks great. Will be watching this one with great interest. Interesting technique on the tires - I think they look fantastic and will try that on my 262.

Thanks for all the positive comments, it's very much appreciated. :)

93 Squadron was also sometime described as the 93(attack) squadron. A significant part of their training involved rocket practice and demonstrations to fulfill the "attack" part of their name, and while I cannot confirm that all their Beau's were fitted with rockets, A8-159 "Nancy" definitely carried, and used them.

If rockets were fitted, the 50 cal wing guns were not. If you check out Beaufighter drawings, you will see that the plates for the rocket rails are fixed directly over the panels that have the shell ejection shutes for the wing 50 cal guns. This would make it impossible to fire the machine guns with rocket rails fitted.

Rather than carry around the weight of unusable guns, a more practical solution was to fit extra fuel tanks in the bays occupied by the wing guns and their ammunition. These tanks were removable and the guns could be replaced if required.

Pic 1 Reference photo (Source: Aviation Heritage Museum of WA). Actually this is one of my favorite Beau photos. :D This is A8-122 Drack's Daughter a.k.a. "Bambi" having a go with it's 20mm cannon. Judging by the smoke, flying spent shells and armourer's obvious aural discomfort, this procedure is very, very noisy! Classic! Have a go with providing a comment for the thought bubble.

Perhaps I should say why this is a good reference photo - you will note that there is no sign of the machine gun ports on the wing leading edge, so these will need to be plugged.

Pic 2 Well, I though you may like to see a closer picture of the tail art on A8-122. Here it is with Nav and Pilot. Harris and Shute.

Pic 3 These things left over from creating thin stretched sprue come in very handy for this.

Pic 4 Just glue them in. Cut them off when dry and presto! Holes gone.

Pic 5 I've completed the interior and assembled the Beau's fuselage, wings and tail. Gee, it got big awful fast. This Tamiya kit just falls together - fits nice and simple construction.

Catch up with you again soon. 8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• bambi blazing bullets caption - resized.jpg
    bambi blazing bullets caption - resized.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 151
  • A8-122 Harris and Shute.jpg
    A8-122 Harris and Shute.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 163
  • guns 02 - resized.jpg
    guns 02 - resized.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 131
  • guns 01 - resized.jpg
    guns 01 - resized.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 136
  • big 01 - resized.jpg
    big 01 - resized.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 157
"What was that love, I can't hear you properly? Must be this new cell phone acting up again" or "One more burst and I swear I'll chin him!!"
Great work Peter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back