**** DONE: 1/48 F6F-5 Hellcat Capt D McCambell - Aircraft of the aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today's update;

Spent the day doing the prelim cockpit painting and adding the instrument decals. This came out quite well:
cockpit.jpg

I was not as pleased with the pilot seat, and am now leaning towards scratch building seat belts.
cockpit2.jpg

The various panels were painted black and control knobs were painted white, yellow and red:
cockpit1.jpg

cockpit4.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

A few reference works have giving me conflicting data on what the opening behind teh pilot seat area looks like where the window cut outs are, have to look deeper into this.

Thanks guys.

Today's update;

After several days of circulation problems in my hands and feet, i felt ok enough to work on the project, which my arthiritic hands still gave me some trouble with. I decided to scratch build seat belts for the project, but first I wanted to spray the fuselage blue so I could get an idea what can be seen through the little window cutouts (not much).
cockpitdetails.jpg

Satisfied no extensive scratch is needed behind the pilot, it was time to tackle the belts.
First, tamiya tape was cut to fit the belts on my cutting board with an exacto knife.
cockpitdetails1.jpg

These were then attached using elmer's white glue to the roll bar behind the seat and drapped over the chair.
cockpitdetails2.jpg

Next, some sprue is streched to make buckle details.
cockpitdetails3.jpg

Four pieces are cut for the shoulder belts, and a 'v' shape for the seat belt, whcih I saw used on some expensive eduard belts that cost more then the kit!
cockpitdetails4.jpg

Again using elmer's, these bits of plastic are placed on the shoulder and seat belts and allowed to dry.
cockpitdetails5.jpg

When this dried modelmaster lt tan (as per a photo of McCambell i have) is used to paint the belts, with burnt umber to represent the detail work (again copied from the eduard picture) and lastly silver for the metal bits I made.
cockpitdetails6.jpg

cockpitdetails7.jpg

After this had dried, the cockpit was finally assembled and set aside to dry over night.
cockpitdetails10.jpg

cockpitdetails9.jpg

cockpitdetails8.jpg

cockpitdetails11.jpg

I will do any touch-ups after this has dried, but I think it came out pretty well.

Today's update:

the cockpit wall details and the unit itsdelf is joined to the fuselage which are also glued together.
day11.jpg

day1.jpg

next the wings are built, no putty needed at all on this kit.
i have long ago decided the plane would be 'clean', no tanks or weapons load, as if she just came back from a mission.
day12.jpg

The wings are joined, this was super easy and a perfect fit.
day13.jpg

Next the cockpit and the windows as well as the wheel wells are covered in first tissue and then tape, and the base color is sprayed on.
day14.jpg

day15.jpg

day16.jpg

This is all set aside to dry, and i want to wait at least 12 hours before going near it. The next phase is gloss cote for decals, we are in the home strech!

Today's update;

The engine is assembled, this is just 4 parts and since the cowling hides most of it, no extra work will be done here.
day2.jpg

day21.jpg

Hasegawa even supplies a decal for the wright engine, a nice little touch.
day22.jpg

Next the tail white line for the USS essex airgroup is masked and painted.
day23.jpg

When dry, the plane is gloss coted for decals.
day24.jpg

day25.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back