**** DONE 1/48 Ki 61 Hein 'Tony' Maj T.Kobayashi - Aircraft of the Aces GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep.. looking good.

Just for future projects.... it doeasn't matter which of kind of "metalic" paints you use. These always make all imperfections easy noticable. Therefore all surfaces of a model have to be prepared properly for a such kind of painting. All seams , scratches etc.. have to be filled with either a putty or a primer then sanding and primered again in order to get smooth surfaces. Also all edges (e.g.. leading/trailing edges of wings) have to be sanded and cleaned to remove all overflows both of plastic and glue ones. All these details finished incorrectly cause the final appearance of a model being not too enough.

Wow thats a nice finish, haven't heard of that rustoleum before?
Its an American paint, its not made for model kits, and its a little harsh.

You have to use it VERY lightly or it can melt plastic, but it usually covers in one pass and as you can see, it looks like natural metal when dry.

Looking good. That Rustoleum sounds like the smooth version of 'Hammerite' (Smoothrite), available in the UK, Europe and I think also in Oz. Normally used for painting metal gates, steel wheels etc etc.

Thanks guys.

Today's update;

I wanted to fix the seem under the engine and touch up the airscoup, so this was sanded and repainted.
day32.jpg

next my paint mask was applied to the tail, and a white base of acrylic applied.
day3.jpg

day31.jpg

After this had dried, I masked off the tail and sprayed it red, this was allowed to dry and the mask was pealed giving me a nice clean edge.
day34.jpg

day33.jpg

This is becoming an adolph galland build, the first (my BF 109F) and the last! (maybe this guy!)

Today's update;

With the paint dry its time to paint the anti-glare panel flat black, so this is masked off for a nice straight line.
day4.jpg

After this dries, the tape is pealed a few touchups are done.
day41.jpg

This type of fighter had cloth covered flaps, so these are hand painted lt gray, as they were NOt natural metal.
day42.jpg

The easiest way to do the complicated green camo is to applt the blue lines and national markings first, the tail was thrown in as a bonus!
day43.jpg

day44.jpg

day45.jpg

After this has dried and set, i will start the green, i plan on using an acrylic base green and an enamel over it.

I like it a lot, even without the green the plane would look awesome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back