**** DONE: 1/48 F6F-5 Hellcat Capt D McCambell - Aircraft of the aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nxthanos

Senior Airman
Jun 11, 2011
Username: Nxthanos
First name: Chris
Category: Beginer
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: F6F-5 Grumman Hellcat
Details: Single seat Carrier Fighter/Fighterbomber
Aircraft Assignment: David McCambell USN
Accessories: None
Decals: Techmod

History of David McCambell USN
Captain David McCampbell
Cockpit_34kills.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After what seems like forever i have finally started to work on this kit, so let's see what we have.

First, the overall shot:
Hproject.jpg

You will notice it says 'french navy' on the box, but its a standard Hellcat kit with french decals, and I have after market techmod decals for it.

Let's take a closer look at the sprue shots:
Hproject2.jpg

Hproject4.jpg

Hproject3.jpg

Hproject1.jpg

Unlike my normal practice, no pilot figure for this one so I will have to scratch build some detail into the cockpit which if it goes well I will leave open, otherwise I'll close it to hide my shoddy work!

The techmod decals as always are quite nice and have sevearl planes to choose from, I will build McCambell's 'Minsi III'.
Hproject5.jpg

Looking good. However I would suggest airbrusing some of gloss dope on the Techmod decal sheet overall.

Looking good. However I would suggest airbrusing some of gloss dope on the Techmod decal sheet overall.
That is a good idea, i always do with techmod decals as they tend to be VERY thin.

Looking at the sprues the cockpit is a bit spartan, so some reference material is consulted to get an idea for some scratch for the cockpit area.

references.jpg

Having done all the prep i can for the hurricane, i sat down to work on the Hellcat, and so today's update;

The photos and painting I have of Captain McCambell's Hellcat clearly show the windows of the F6F-3, even though he was flying a F6F-5. It turns out he had one of the first F6F-5s, so the kit will have to be modified to include the windows. Luckily Hasegawa made the kit with this area already recessed 'in case' of this kind of thing:
start.jpg

taking a sharp xacto knife, I began to scribe the opening, eventually braking through, and it was a tad rough around the edges.
start2.jpg

start1.jpg

A fine nail file was then used to 'clean' the rough edges of the cut outs and they now look fine.
start3.jpg

The next step was to paint the interior green color. I first lightly brushed in a medium dark green and when this had dried I used the more standard interior green. I considered zinc cromate but McCambell's plane clearly had a darker interior.
start4.jpg

start5.jpg

The next thing will be black and silver for the controls and building up the cockpit. Seatbelts are molded on so i may just paint these, otherwise i will scratch build some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back