**** DONE: 1/48 Gloster Gauntlet II – From WW1 to WW2 GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With the Brisfit Bill, a spare wheel was fixed under the fuselage and they also carried bags of spares strapped to the side, pilot an observer were usually good mechanics as well and on occasions the pilot would take a fitter along to do the observing.

I never knew that! I was kidding... In-teresting....

I'm still a little fuzzy on the concept, I could see an extra oil pump or spark plugs, even a tyre, but under what circumstances would they have to replace the prop?
Did the old wooden props get out of ballance somehow? Sandstorms, perhaps?

Saw a picture once Paul where they had three extra wheels, one under the belly and the others slung over the side and then on top of that a prop also slung under the belly. From what I remember the pilot and mechanic were setting out to recover a damaged aircraft most probably in company with a couple of other aircraft carrying an extra pilot and second mechanic. The squadrons that helped to fight the little wars in Mesopotamia were very short of planes for the task required, but obviously not short on ingenuity.

Hang in for those pics folks, some coming soon.

Okay guys, the waiting is over. Started off by looking closely at the instrument panel and decided a bit of extra work on it would not go astray.
As you can see the instrument detail is shown but it is quite shallow and for me would be a bit of a problem to bring out crisply.

20121108-1a.jpg

So I've filed this back.

20121112-1a.jpg

In my unlimited piles of bits and pieces are these instrument dials which I picked up many years back. It's time to make use of them.

20121108-1b.jpg

After a n hour or so we end up with a new panel. This I've now painted black and come the morrow I'll drop blobs of white in the instrument dials and give it a couple of days to dry out.

20121112-1b.jpg

Great stuff Vic! I can drill and cut plastic to make instruments, but me use those without the sound of ping? Got more chance of finding Hitler's dog !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back