**** DONE: 1/48 Hawk H-81-A-2, AVG - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm trying a slightly different masking method on this one. Curtiss used hard rubber masks to paint the camo on their P-40s so there was a hard edge between the colors. I made paper masks from a very detailed profile sized to the model and backed them with double stick tape which I reduce the tack on. Here's the result after over 2 hours of work. I'll have to be careful with the angle I spray the paint on, but I think it will work out alright.

PC140574.JPG

Last edited:
I did a lot of research and thinking about the color to use for the green and no one seamed to have a definitive answer. In the end I decided to use Model Master enamel # 1710 Dark Green FS534079. One of the things that decided the choice for me was reading of an AVG pilot (can't think of who right now) describing the green as "Spinach Green".

The painting went well and when the masks were removed I saw only a few small areas that will need touch-up.

PC140575.JPG
PC140576.JPG
PC140577.JPG

Last edited:
That method turned out very nice Glenn. Given all the problems modelers go through to get what we think are the correct colors, maybe we should just paint the models in shades of grey.

Geo

That's a nice looking masking and spraying job Glenn.
And the colors are great, you've done a masterful job.

That is a beautiful finish Glenn, your thoughts and actions on masking came out really well.

Back at it after a break for the holidays. I did the panel lines over the last couple of days, this time trying out Wayne's pencil method. Doesn't look nearly as good as his work but I'm happy with the results.

P1130586.JPG
P1130583.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back