**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FBII, 807 NAS, 1951 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much guys. I've used Humbrol for 50 years, and they were once the best in the world - until the demise of Airfix-Humbrol and the closure of the factory.
I've tried Vallejo, using the non- airbrush stuff (get more paint for the same cost!) and it was very good, but I prefer enamels, especially for brush-painting - much more versatile.
Can someone tell me the height of the MM paint bottles please?
Might sound daft, but I'd prefer paints which will fit into my new storage chest !
If MM are too tall, then I'll have to go with either Xtracolour from Hannant's, which are excellent (gloss finish though, except interior colours), or maybe WEM.
Apart from the inconsistency of current Humbrol, it's now costing the equivalent of one and a half to two tins, just to obtain the volume of of one tin !!

Thanks Igor - hope to have it finished either later tonight, or tomorrow.
Thanks Paul - same height as the smaller Tamiya bottles. Excellent, they'll fit in the chest then! One bulk order about to be assembled methinks!

I like the MM paints but have trouble with the paper seals in the tops. Need to take care to keep the rim clean so the paper doesn't stick and delaminate.

Thanks Andy, I'll watch out for that. I'll have to order them from Model Hobbies, as Hannant's don't have them listed.
Got a bit more done to the prop and tanks, just fiddling with the final bits, in between moving furniture around! I hope to have the last bits, and the finished model, posted some time this week.

Thanks Vic. I want to get this finished, then get back to a commission build, and start back on the Wessex and Mosquito. Then it's probably Hawk time .....

I like the MM paints but have trouble with the paper seals in the tops. Need to take care to keep the rim clean so the paper doesn't stick and delaminate.
And when, (notice the "when") they do come loose, I flip them over and stick them back on the lid. I quit shaking paint years ago because of the crappy seal on the old Testors 1/4oz. bottles, that was a major source of paint working its way up and into the lid and welding the top down.

I'm still a little undecided - go for MM, or use the Xtracolour, which are excellent. The gloss finish is great for decals, but means that a matt coat needs to be added if any pencil work is required, and being gloss, they take a little longer to dry and are more susceptible to dust when drying.
Think I might try a couple of RAF colours in MM paints first, and see what I think of them.

I've finally broken through the lethargy and inertia, and finished the Sea Fury!
I need to tidy up the drop tanks and prop and spinner, as some dust got onto them as the clear coat was drying - didn't notice until I took the photographs.
Here's a quick shot, the rest will be in the finished thread.

Attachments

• Sea Fury Build 198.jpg
    Sea Fury Build 198.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 80
Thanks very much chaps. Still not happy with the tanks and prop, but I'll correct them later - sometime!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back