**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Sea Fury FBII, 807 NAS, 1951 - Carrier Aircraft GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Username: Airframes.
Name: Terry.
Category: Judge - non competing.
Aircraft: Hawker Sea Fury FB II.
Kit: Hobbycraft.
Scale: 1.48th.
Accessories: 'Airwaves' PE wing fold, 'Squadron' vac-form canopy, 'True Details' resin wheels, 'Eduard' Tempest drop tanks, scratch-built rocket pylons other bits, home made and spare decals.

Hawker Sea Fury FB II, VX 691, '130 T', 807 Naval Air Sqn, FAA, HMS Theseus, Korea, 10th April 1951.

I've been meaning to build this kit since I first obtained it, over 20 years ago, and this is the perfect excuse! I did make a start all those years ago, long before the advent of all the PE and resin parts now available, by cutting one wing with a view to scratch-building the wing folds and displaying the model with folded wings, and it was originally going to be modelled as an aircraft from the naval Air Station at Stretton, not far from where I live. When the 'Carrier Aircraft' GB was decided upon, I left the kit in the stash, and have been looking forward to the start of this GB ever since.
This was one of the first Hobbycraft kits I bought, and although it is a little basic in parts, I was at the time impressed by the fine panel and surface detail, and test-fitting indicates it should go together well. So far, it seems reasonable value for money which, then, I think was around £10 or less. But more on the kit during the course of the build.

Background.

Developed as a Naval fighter from the outwardly similar Tempest II, the Sea Fury first flew in February 1944, but was too late to enter service and see action in WW2. Originally delivered as the MkX, a pure air defence/ air superiority fighter, it was later strengthened and slightly modified, from the fifty first airframe, to meet a requirement for a Fighter Bomber, when it was then designated FB II.
The first of the new breed, the ultimate piston-engined fighter, entered service with the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm in May, 1948.
With the outbreak of the Korean War, Sea Furies were soon in action, when the carrier HMS Theseus sailed to join the US Navy, arriving on station on 5 October, 1950, with the 17th CAG on board. This consisted of the 21 Sea Furies of 807 Naval Air Squadron, and 810 Sqn, equipped with 12 Fairey Firefly FR5s.
Five days later, on October 10th, the Sea Furies were in action with a strike in the Changyan area, losing one aircraft to ground fire, with the pilot being picked up by a USAF helicopter whilst under fire. Operations were flown regularly, up to four per day, with aircraft flying in very poor weather conditions during this period, where ice and snow made landings and deck handling difficult and hazardous. Targets were attacked with either 3 inch RPs, carried on three, twin mount rails per wing, or with 180 pound 'Triplex' rockets, normally two per wing, although six rockets could be carried, as well as 500 or 1,000 pound bombs, one under each wing. The targets included railways and rolling stock, bridges, supply depots and vehicles, as well as water transport.
At the end of the year, the Squadron was awarded the Boyd Trophy, which is presented for outstanding merit.
HMS Theseus withdrew in mid-April 1951, being replaced on station by HMS Glory, after she had launched 3,489 Operational sorties, and suffered losses to both Sea Furies and Fireflys.

I need to finish the Tornado and the Halifax before starting on this model, but hope to do so by the end of this month - watch this space!
EDIT: - Oops! Forgot to add the 'Carrier GB' to the thread title, if a mod wouldn't mind correcting it for me.

Attachments

• Sea Fury Build 002.jpg
    Sea Fury Build 002.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 275
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the 'FAA over Korea' will be well represented (and rightfully so...a bit of a forgotten chapter if you ask me compared to the US naval aviation involved in the conflict) The Seafury is also an awesome choice. Pinnacle of piston engined perfection. Glad I finally got to see one in the air last year.

Very cool Terry. The few built examples I've seen of this kit look quite impressive so I'm sure you'll work your usual magic and come up with another great one.

I made the GB omission mistake also, glad to see I'm in good company!
Will watch this space intently!

Great stuff and of personal interest to me.
My dad flew Sea Furies from HMS Glory in the Med and,a few years later,after conversion,flew helicopters off HMS Theseus during "Musketeer" (Suez).
Cheers
Steve

Thanks all, and thanks for correcting the thread title Wojtek.
Steve, that makes it even more interesting for me now, having such a connection. I was going to model a HMS Glory aircraft, but couldn't make my mind up between Glory and Theseus, so spun a coin and Theseus won. Hope I can do it justice in honour of your Dad.

Watch out for this one, I've picked this kit up and theres most likely a flaw in it, it seems that every hobby craft kit I pick up I end up getting a bouncy kit with wing problems, kit problems etc, I've never encountered a "good" hobby craft kit :D so be careful!

Thanks very much chaps.
Rogi, thanks for the warning, but this is one of the very first Hobbycraft kits, purchased around 1989 or 1990, and there doesn't appear to be any problems with it.Never had a problem with any HC kit I've built, but then again, they were all bought around the same time, so moulds will have suffered during the years.
It has been test - fitted countless times over the last 20+ years, and I'd guess that any problems which might arise would be minor. But at last, after all this time, I'll soon find out, when I finally get to build it !

Terry I'm sure you'll make a top job of it.

At the top of the pages of his log book for Nov/Dec 1953 he wrote "HMS Glory. Med Cruise" which I don't think was the official designation :)

He was always adamant that the assault on Port Said was the first airborne assault by helicopter.
Here's the relevant pages from that log book.

logright-1.gif

logleft-2.gif

What follows is salutary,a series of "casevac" flights.

Sorry for the digression.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back