**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B 245 Sqn "Sharky" Commonwealth Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are right about the exhausts Peter they look good as is the rest, looking forward to the finished pictures.

Thanks Wayne, Karl, CR, Vic and T.

It's a great kit to work on, so get yourself one for the stash if nothing else!
I have another couple.....:rolleyes:

Anyway, time to go through some of the last details.

Pic 1
Something ate the pitot tube, so I had to replace it with stretched sprue and copper wire.

Rocket rails have been added using CA. They are painted aluminium.

Pic 2
Antennae and 'stirrup' are added. I used copper wire for the Antennae.

Pic 3
Wheels added. I marked the tires and rims with white marker. Ground crew put these on to see if the tire had rotated on the rim.

Pic 4
I used a dark wash to highlight the undercarriage bay detail.

Pic 5
Rockets painted and added.

Well that just about wraps it up. I've enjoyed this one greatly. I did some research on the plane and pilot, and found a very good book about Tiffie operations called "The Day of the Typhoon' written by John Golley, a pilot of 245 Squadron. He flew a Typhoon coded MR-U up to January 1945, but does not mention Sharky in his book, so I gather the shark mouth was added later by the Canadian pilot, Moose Mossip or it's a different kite. Anyway it make an impressive sight in my display cabinet and I'm very pleased with the result.

Thanks for your interest. I'll start a 'finished' thread to show off the end result. 8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• rockets 003 resized.jpg
    rockets 003 resized.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 130
  • pitot 001 - resized.jpg
    pitot 001 - resized.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 131
  • rockets 002 resized.jpg
    rockets 002 resized.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 126
  • wheels 003 - resized.jpg
    wheels 003 - resized.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 119
  • pitot 002 - resized.jpg
    pitot 002 - resized.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 133
Very nice indeed Peter . Am reading Brotherhood of the skies ATM also written by a Typhoon pilot some very interesting bits in it including a 109G built by the squadron and a PR typhoon with a field mod of a forward facing F24 camera instead of the inner port cannon

Thanks Bill and Magnu.

I haven't read Brotherhood of the Skies, but have to add that one to the list - it does look interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Peter

Addendum : I just bought a copy on Ebay for $26 - what the hell!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back