**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B 245 Sqn "Sharky" Commonwealth Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B
Details: 245 Squadron RAF
Aircraft Assignment: Harrison Taylor "Moose" Mossip (Canadian) DFC
Accessories: Ultracast Wheels, Radiator, Tempest Tail. Quickboost Exhaust. Eduard Masks
Decals: Aviaeology

Itching to do this Tiffie since I first laid eyes on that great yawning maw and sharp teeth. Classic. :D

149204.jpg

So, I few things to finish up on the BoB build and I'll make a start soon.

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• box art typhoon mk.1B.jpg
    box art typhoon mk.1B.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 378
  • accessories 001 resized.jpg
    accessories 001 resized.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 394
  • accessories 002 resized.jpg
    accessories 002 resized.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 370
  • accessories 003 resized.jpg
    accessories 003 resized.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 411
  • sprues 001 resized.jpg
    sprues 001 resized.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 410
  • sprues 004 resized.jpg
    sprues 004 resized.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 380
  • sprues 003 resized.jpg
    sprues 003 resized.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 486
  • sprues 002 resized.jpg
    sprues 002 resized.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 372
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this one Peter, and they're nice kits, the Hasegawa Typhoons. Let me know if you need any scale plans etc.

Good one Peter, when I first saw the article on this baby really wanted to do it......decided I wouldn't go down that path....:cry: ....so I look forward to your build....:D

Thanks guys

I thought I would throw up a couple of pages from the Model Aircraft Monthly mag for July 2009, that had a good piece and a couple of profiles for Sharky. There are two versions of MP197 based on pre VE-Day and post VE-Day schemes. The Aviaeology Decals have both options. I don't think I can decide right now which one I'll tackle, but if the group build is to the end of hostilities VJ-day, then the more colourful option might be the go.

Enjoy 8)

Peter

Attachments

• Pages from MAM Vol 8 Issue 7 0709-3.jpg
    Pages from MAM Vol 8 Issue 7 0709-3.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 466
  • Pages from MAM Vol 8 Issue 7 0709-2.jpg
    Pages from MAM Vol 8 Issue 7 0709-2.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 704
  • Pages from MAM Vol 8 Issue 7 0709.jpg
    Pages from MAM Vol 8 Issue 7 0709.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 491
Good stuff Peter.The magazine article is a bit nebulous I think. On the one hand, the author is saying he believes the spinner is 'Night', and the 'lips' black, yet there is a distinct tonal difference between these two areas and the prop blades. I'd agree that the 'mouth' is probably the Dark Green camouflage colour, but the spinner certainly shows a different tone compared to 'Night', and I'd tend to agree with the profiles (and others I have) that it's blue in the post-war era. I also agree it would be 'Night' at least up until VE Day, but I also think there's a possibility that the 'lips' are red. As for camouflage compromise - it's already been done with the b l**dy big white teeth!!

Come on, get crackin. I'm anxious to see the build in progress matey. It's gonna look pretty good.

I've made a start bill so, you're wait is over. Time to get on with it!

Pic 1
I made a mistake with the accessories. I got the wrong resin radiator. What I needed was the type of radiator with enhanced carb dust filter. This was added to counteract the dusty conditions operating from rough strips after D-Day. More on this later in the build.

The other item I decided to get hold of was the larger "Tempest" tail planes. These larger surfaces were fitted to all Typhoons built after about serial MN604 I believe. Since Sharky is MP197 and my references agree that it had the larger tailplanes, I put the order in.

Pic 2
Hasegawa have fuselage inserts that allow construction of either the 'car door' version or the 'bubble' version. I started by aligning these with the panel lines and the outside edge of the fuselage and gluing them in place on each half.

Pic 3
I was expecting this. The top view shows a gap of about 1mm. I'm going to have to 'fangle' this with knife skills and putty. :D

Pic 4
This is a comparison between the grey plastic Hase wheels and the lighter Ultracast wheels. Not much difference in detail, as the Hase ones are already bulged. Note the air valve in the Ultracast ones.

Pic 5
The real difference is in the side view. The Ultracast ones are noticeably thinner. How thin should they be?

Pic 6
I can thank Chris ( DerAdlerIstGelandet ) for this photo taken at Hendon recently and very timely (Thanks, hope you don't mind!), which indicates the thinner version is definitely the right choice.

Attachments

• accessories 004 resized.jpg
    accessories 004 resized.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 222
  • fuselage 001 - resized.jpg
    fuselage 001 - resized.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 235
  • fuselage 002 - resized.jpg
    fuselage 002 - resized.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 330
  • wheels 001 - resized.jpg
    wheels 001 - resized.jpg