**** DONE: 1/48 Hawker Typhoon Mk.1B 245 Sqn "Sharky" Commonwealth Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wayne, Karl, CR, Vic and T.

It's a great kit to work on, so get yourself one for the stash if nothing else!
I have another couple.....

Anyway, time to go through some of the last details.

Pic 1
Something ate the pitot tube, so I had to replace it with stretched sprue and copper wire.

Rocket rails have been added using CA. They are painted aluminium.

Pic 2
Antennae and 'stirrup' are added. I used copper wire for the Antennae.

Pic 3
Wheels added. I marked the tires and rims with white marker. Ground crew put these on to see if the tire had rotated on the rim.

Pic 4
I used a dark wash to highlight the undercarriage bay detail.

Pic 5
Rockets painted and added.

Well that just about wraps it up. I've enjoyed this one greatly. I did some research on the plane and pilot, and found a very good book about Tiffie operations called "The Day of the Typhoon' written by John Golley, a pilot of 245 Squadron. He flew a Typhoon coded MR-U up to January 1945, but does not mention Sharky in his book, so I gather the shark mouth was added later by the Canadian pilot, Moose Mossip or it's a different kite. Anyway it make an impressive sight in my display cabinet and I'm very pleased with the result.

Thanks for your interest. I'll start a 'finished' thread to show off the end result. 8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• rockets 003 resized.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 131
  • pitot 001 - resized.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 132
  • rockets 002 resized.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 127
  • wheels 003 - resized.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 120
  • pitot 002 - resized.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 134
Very nice indeed Peter . Am reading Brotherhood of the skies ATM also written by a Typhoon pilot some very interesting bits in it including a 109G built by the squadron and a PR typhoon with a field mod of a forward facing F24 camera instead of the inner port cannon

Thanks Bill and Magnu.

I haven't read Brotherhood of the Skies, but have to add that one to the list - it does look interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers

Peter

Addendum : I just bought a copy on Ebay for $26 - what the hell!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread