**** DONE: 1/48 Ju88G-6 NJG6 - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That's a real beaut John, great work overall.
And yes, the boarding ladder should be the other way around. It went up into the hatch-way, then angled inwards and forwards. Once detached, it folded into three sections for storage onboard.
BTW, those small antennae under the wings are for the radio altimeter(s).

Thanks for the comments! Terry... I'll fix the ladder before I take the final pics. It fell off during picture taking too! Not enough daylight to take pictures during my work week so it'll have to wait until the weekend.

Hello JKim,

please let me call your models here in this forum (Ki 45 and Ju 88G in scale 1/48) are in very high quality work.
Often I have never seen better models in the scale. I built also models in 1/72 and 1/48 since more than 35 years ago.
In a model forum can be written also critical words.:rolleyes:

More about my thrad find here!

And I want you give some interesting details to your airbrush work.
German Luftwaffe Night fighter aircrafts has no standard camouflage. Most of these aircraft were provided to war front in a standard camouflage.

(1) RLM 74/75/76 or
(2) RLM 75/76 or
(3) RLM 75/ 22 or
(4) RLM 22

No provisions can be find in German technical literature (Autor: Michael Ullmann) today.
But I have collected many fotos copies of my a/c project Heinkel He 219A-0/2. In result of these collection I found out that nigth figter a/c was delivered in standard camouflage 1/ 2/ 3 or 4. And only in war front location these a/c was be repainted.
That's all no problem in these point.

But on the war front all color artist repainted these standard camouflage with special effects.
(a) darken: overpaint the RLM74/75(1) or RML75(2) camouflage only with RML 70 or 82/83 in form of meander or clouds or strips
(b) brighten: overpaint the RLM74/75 (1) or RML75 (2) camouflage only with RML 76 in form of meander or clouds
(x) mixed form of (1/2)

The same you can find by Ju-88G foto copies. I have make a digital test with these facts of my computer:

RLM_NigthFigther.jpg

Then you look to some foto copies with a head loupe. You must give yourself the ask, which was the last color to paint of fuselage/ wing.
Your model of Ju-88G has got last color RML75 and this is not correct. You understand what I want?

post-481-0-99114300-1388160308.jpg

left: overpainted (a), right: cloude overpaited (b)

Ju88-G6-NJG4-%283C+PN%29-WrkN640643-Wunstorf-AirBase-1945-1.jpg

cm_ju88_11.jpg

Well, plaese - nobody kit modeller is perfect, I'm also too.

Thanks for your phantastic thread!:thumbright::thumbright::thumbright:

Best wishes from Germany.

BOBO

Last edited:
BOBO... thank you so much for your informative post. Correct me if I am mistaken but I think you are saying that the blotches on the Luftwaffe night fighters such as the He 219 and Ju 88 were the result of a darker scheme being irregularly covered by a lighter color, allowing the darker colors to show through in spots. This makes sense to me and seems to be supported by the pictures that you show.

The modeler has the choice of order when dealing with multi-color paint schemes. Most commonly, the modeler chooses to paint the lighter color first and then the darker because it is easier. That is what I did with the Ju88. But I could've probably gotten a more accurate scheme if I had done the opposite and used the 76 over the 75 to create the mottling as you suggest.

I really like that last shot of 622986. It appears as if the darker mottles on the tail were treated in the centers with additional 76 to break up the spots even more. This is a level of subtlety that I honestly did not consider when painting my Ju88.

Thanks again for posting... it's really good information!

Not sure we can categorically say that what John did is wrong. There are examples of Ju88G's that clearly appear to have 75 blotches over 76 as seen here:View attachment 341688

I'm not so sure Andy. That picture too looks like it could very well be a darker color that was oversprayed with a lighter one from the looks of the mottle shapes. And that upper wing surface on the port side? A partial replacement in a darker color... also in line with BOBO's assessment. Very interesting!

Well, my infos was only a informative post. I see this mistake on many kit exebition in Germany and also too in Telford (U.K.)
And it is very simple - but not easy :rolleyes: - to make a correct camouflage color for German nigth figters.

Have a nice day, my friend ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back